new MKZ owners: lane control & adaptive cruise control

I've had my MKZh for a month and....

Adaptive cruise control

This works soooooo smoothly i got addicted immediately.

Turn on cruise, select how long a set back wanted by pushing a clearly marked button (no menu), and let it work.

Some texting idiot pulls in front of you at 50mph when you are cruising at 75 and the cruise system slows you to 50 at the selected set back. Pull into a clear lane and the car accelerates smartly back to 75mph. It works so well, i started depending on it almost immediately. Depending too much. I find myself crowding slowpokes when i am not using cruise control.

Lane control

it definitely works but loses definition of lane edges pretty often.

Nice toy to show friends, but i don't find it really useful at all.

Any other thoughts?

karl

Adaptive cruise control

Turn on cruise, select how long a set back wanted by pushing a clearly marked button (no menu), and let it work.

Some texting idiot pulls in front of you at 50mph when you are cruising at 75 and the cruise system slows you to 50 at the selected set back. Pull into a clear lane and the car accelerates smartly back to 75mph. It works so well, i started depending on it almost immediately. Depending too much. I find myself crowding slowpokes when i am not using cruise control.

Lane control

Any other thoughts?

karl

I did not get to try out the Adaptive Cruise Control due to the area I was in when I test drove the car. I did briefly try the Lane Keeping System and felt that it could be useful in certain situations.

My oldest daughter is frequently reminding me that I NEED the lane keeper, "you did buy it, right? 'cause you really need it." Ah the wisdom of a 20 year old who has been driving all of 2 years!

and took one psychology class.

So, as my staff so nicely reminded me, as soon as my car shows up on 4.24.13, I will be moving into it. This has been quite a long 4 months . . .

kim

Extremely useful. The combination of adaptive cruise, lane control and ECO cruise on the hybrids works very well. I have had the adaptive cruise shut off in moderate rain as the radar resolution cell is overwhelmed, but this only reinforced my opinion as the software responded and shut the system off (regular cruise control still worked fine) as it should. The lane keeping system has been working very well for me but I only use it in conjunction with the adaptive cruise, and not as a driving aid for two lane roads. The ECO cruise works great compared to standard cruise control and is near imperceptible until you go back to standard cruise control settings for comparison. The auto wipers and auto highbeams are also very useful and have proven very reliable and accurate and require no driver input other than to adjust wiper speed. I have found in fog/mist that the wipers will occasionally and appropriately make 1 sweep to clean the windscreen. The collision warning system gets your attention as it should both through the aural alert unit and heads up display across the windscreen and seems to be at about the right level of sensitivity though I don't know exactly what parameters it's using to alert the driver. The adaptive headlamps are also very effective and somebody had trouble with checking whether they were working or not, but to me they are readily apparent and useful. The only tech issues that I have had are with using a new iPOD shuffle in the sound system as I get a message that says it is not supported while the other iPODs have all worked.

Adaptive cruise control

Lane control

Any other thoughts?

karl

I agree on both thoughts. The Lane Control would only be useful if you fell asleep. I could see it being quite dangerous if someone swerved into your lane and it fought you trying to avoid them. And that auto parking thing is also pretty useless since there is usually someone behind you that is hurrying you along and wouldn't take kindly the slow setup involved. Auto high beams are great too.

Edited by xgman

The collision warning system gets your attention as it should both through the aural alert unit and heads up display across the windscreen and seems to be at about the right level of sensitivity though I don't know exactly what parameters it's using to alert the driver.

I find this interesting but it has gone off a few times and in each case I can easily see that there would not be any time to react to a real fender bender or crash. It basically lets you know you are about to die. By the way, if anyone is like me and used to pulling in to the garage and opening the driver door to see how close you are to the wall or whatever, you must do it with your seat belt on or either stop, place it in park and back to drive or otherwise your car will slam into park while you are moving at low speed. At about 5 mph or so this behavior is overridden thankfully.

Edited by xgman