Lincoln MKS Confirmed

robertlane

The roofline looks lower than the concept. I like it.

I wouldn't bet on that. Look back on the concept sketches of the 500 and Freestyle and then look at the final product. The sketches looked SO sporty, not what we ended up with at all. The wheelwells in that picture are way too tight and the roofline is lower than we'll see.

The only thing is the CTS will not be this car's competition. I think most will look at the MKZ (Zephyr) as the natural competitor to the CTS and then you have two factors: First, the CTS has been in production longer to have a following and lastly, the FWD/RWD rears up again with Caddy going RWD and Lincoln being FWD/AWD.

The MKS will held up against the Cadillac STS (maybe a bit of DTS) and that does give the Lincoln a very conservative look. Still, I think the Lincoln is plenty nice looking but when you start moving up the Cadillac line-up, the competition primarily from the STS will be stiff and the MKS performance will likely lag behind...nevermind the -V series Cadillacs.

The drawing really looks good!! But so did the many past Ford products. Then all we are seeing is a drawing, which makes me wonder how far from production the car is, i'd bet 2yrs or more. Ford needs products yesterday. I'm tired of seeing Billy and Fields on TV and reading about there speeches its time to see product! The current product isn't selling enough to keep us all working, we have been on a down slide for over 2yrs, and they haven't been able to slow it down with current models. New lipstick and eye shadow on the Navi and Exp isn't going to cut it!!!

If Fields and Ford really understood their emergency situation, they would already be re-tooling a factory to make the MKS.

If Fields and Ford really understood their emergency situation, they would already be re-tooling a factory to make the MKS. They showed the concept at the car shows in early 2006, so the production car should be out in 2007.

The MKS should have been called the Lincoln S 80 or is it a Volvo with a Lincoln grille. That's not my idea of a luxury car. Cadillac, you have nothing to worry about.

But the CTS and STS are? They quit building the Fleetwood Brougham, which is the antithesis of this car (thankfully) about 10 years ago. Cadillac has plenty to worry about, not the least of which is terrible medium and long term reliability. This Lincoln is designed to appeal to a much younger buyer, not someone who wants a chrome plated bathtub with a fake convertible top ala the present "Crown Car".

True, the CTS is more competitive to the MKZ, but the STS is nowhere near the car this one is style wise. The buying public seems to agree in that the STS, according to my neighbor who sells them, is a sales disaster. It tries to be sporty but is not so much as the CTS, and it tries to be sophisticated but lacks the natural elegance and richness of the DTS so in essence the STS ends up not really being either.

Although I'd like to see Lincoln's flagship named "Continental" and look more aggressive and rakish, similar in stance and profile to the Mercedes CLS, this car - even with the stupid alphabet soup moniker is a quantum leap in the right direction.

Edited by KinneticBrian

But the CTS and STS are? They quit building the Fleetwood Brougham, which is the antithesis of this car (thankfully) about 10 years ago. Cadillac has plenty to worry about, not the least of which is terrible medium and long term reliability. This Lincoln is designed to appeal to a much younger buyer, not someone who wants a chrome plated bathtub with a fake convertible top ala the present "Crown Car".

True, the CTS is more competitive to the MKZ, but the STS is nowhere near the car this one is style wise. The buying public seems to agree in that the STS, according to my neighbor who sells them, is a sales disaster. It tries to be sporty but is not so much as the CTS, and it tries to be sophisticated but lacks the natural elegance and richness of the DTS so in essence the STS ends up not really being either.

Although I'd like to see Lincoln's flagship named "Continental" and look more aggressive and rakish, similar in stance and profile to the Mercedes CLS, this car - even with the stupid alphabet soup moniker is a quantum leap in the right direction.

You forgot to add the CTS is all new in the next 8mts and its a hot rod inside and out!!!!!

You forgot to add the CTS is all new in the next 8mts and its a hot rod inside and out!!!!!

that is a rumor .. not even dedicated GM guys will swear that the new CTS will show up on next year's show circle ...

GM has not confirmed anything and the rumors have not been reliable.

Finally. CTS is likely growing to be 5er competitor, so also the MKS competitor, not MKZ Competitor - a new BLS will take place in that slot, but not until 2009 or so.

Igor

that is a rumor .. not even dedicated GM guys will swear that the new CTS will show up on next year's show circle ...

Finally. CTS is likely growing to be 5er competitor, so also the MKS competitor, not MKZ Competitor - a new BLS will take place in that slot, but not until 2009 or so.

Igor

From what I read in these comments then, it sounds like Cadillac is going to make the next gen CTS larger. This is pure speculation, but if they do so, then the STS will either have to be redesigned or discontinued. This may well be Cadillac's goal and a way for the brand to save face.

Has anyone heard what powerplant is going into the MKS? The worst thing Ford can do, and they seem to have a track record of this, is put a wheezy, underpowered engine in the MKS.

From what I read in these comments then, it sounds like Cadillac is going to make the next gen CTS larger. This is pure speculation, but if they do so, then the STS will either have to be redesigned or discontinued. This may well be Cadillac's goal and a way for the brand to save face.

Has anyone heard what powerplant is going into the MKS? The worst thing Ford can do, and they seem to have a track record of this, is put a wheezy, underpowered engine in the MKS.

the powertrain is a speclation .. D35 as standard is alsmost given. but it is unclear which V8 or upgraded powertrain would be optional. The Yamaha 4.4l V8 was speculated, TwainTurbo D35, and some others ...

For now, - no word.

Igor

Igor

The CTS is on its way!

The CTS is on its way!

but no one knows when it will debut - thje assumption is next year as 08 model, but no one has dug up any reliable information aloong those lines..

I agree it is an awesome car, and that it is coming, but I wanted to counter your claim that it will be here in January.

Igor

I am just glad that ford :titanic: finally got with the program and started to make cars that older people of today want instead of the old people of the 70's and 80's wanted. The older generation of today are much younger and (what they call hipper HA!! HA!!).Alot of the corvette drivers that I see (Philadelphia,PA) are in thier sixties. The last thing they want to be associated with is something that looks like a rolling old folks home. I agree that this car is a step in the right direction and this car is the top of the line for lincoln by default but they will need something to deal with the DTS. I would like to see them use a RWD platform from down under and start with that 4.4L Volvo engine since the DTS is packing over 300 horses