2013 Ford Fusion Hy. Ti. horrable MPG.

captinkirk

Actually, no. That's FORDS recommendations and we all also know that the Govt does not do the testing its actually the car manufacturers who do the testing and submit the results to the govt. They spot check them when requested. Ask Hyundai how that worked for them when they got caught cheating.

The EPA is now doing their own testing of the Fusions. They're been looking into them for 6-8 weeks but didn't release the results yet. My dealer thinks that's a good thing, because the EPA can't find anything wrong with the way Ford did the test.

I'm waiting for EPA's findings and will enjoy my car in the meantime :) After all, it still remains the best choice on the mid-size sedan market (my opinion, not yours).

PS. I have 550 miles on mine and I'm averaging 35MPGs ... Hope it goes up after 1k miles!

Edited by neod192
  • Like 1

That's one trip. It's easy to do on Battery..... But now run that same mileage on all highway speeds 65-75 not using any battery.. Becha you wont see anything near that! I'll put 1000 on it.

Isn't that the point of the hybrid? To, you know, run on battery? Without "using any battery", it's a 140hp, naturally aspirated 4-banger pulling a 3600lb car. Of course the gas mileage is going to take a hit.

The EPA testing hasn't changed over the last few years. If, as you say, Ford designed the hybrid to ace the EPA test, your obvious knowledge of the faults of the EPA tests

Hard to do an apples to apples test when the testing is flawed and its easy to cheat.

should have cautioned you to look into the issue a little further before making your purchase. The information was out there well before you ordered the car. Don't blame Ford or the EPA. Blame yourself.

• Like 2

@ captinkirk

If you drive like the average Chicagoan I'm not surprised that you are unhappy with your mpg.

In addition to that you seem to be a person with a very short temper. Just read you posts regarding your delivery again and how you talked to cyberdman a guy trying the best he can to fill the information gap created by some dealers.

There used to be another very similar personality on the FFH forum he finally cut his losses and bought a Lexus hybrid (spend 10k more to get 5mpg more). Maybe you should do the same if you so ignorant about all the good advice you are getting on this forum.

And just to set the record straight yes I do believe that Ford mastered the EPA test but that's not Ford's fault it's the test guidelines nowhere near real world driving. Just compare the EPA test cycle avg speed to the speed you are driving around Chicago.

I also believe that there are cars out there that have an actual issue maybe bad HVBs I don't know. Should Ford address these complains; absolutely and I wish they would take people serious about it.

EPA numbers are achievable but it takes a change in driving behavior and is effected by a lot of outside factors. It's just the nature of the beast driving such a technology advanced car which I believe is much more receptive to weather changes for example.

Do yourself a favor if you refuse to change behavior even so slightly and buy something else. Actually you should have considered that before ordering because by that time there were already enough complains about getting EPA rated MPG.

• Like 4

Well I can assure you that the car can achieve the numbers. Here's some pics from my car. Pictures will speak a thousand words.

post-48501-0-38122900-1366817041_thumb.jpg

This pic is a shot of my current tank of gas. Note that I still have a 1/4 tank remaining.

Here's the conversion from L/100km to MPG

5.0L/100km = 47.04 MPG US

post-48501-0-92892400-1366817046_thumb.jpg

This was my drive to work this morning.

4.2L/100km = 56 MPG US

It's achievable and once you learn how, it's really easy!

• Like 2

I also believe that there are cars out there that have an actual issue maybe bad HVBs I don't know. Should Ford address these complains; absolutely and I wish they would take people serious about it.

EPA numbers are achievable but it takes a change in driving behavior and is effected by a lot of outside factors. It's just the nature of the beast driving such a technology advanced car which I believe is much more receptive to weather changes for example.

Do yourself a favor if you refuse to change behavior even so slightly and buy something else. Actually you should have considered that before ordering because by that time there were already enough complains about getting EPA rated MPG.

Fords delema is that every person that cannot account for differences between the EPA test and their driving will claim they have a MPG issue. Your Results Might Vary never seems to get considered. Therefore they would have a million "claims" when very few would be legitmate. They do need to address it somehow though.

A number on a window sticker with a * next to it should make one wonder "why is that * there...". I wonder how many have actually read the whole window sticker?

• Like 1

That's one trip. It's easy to do on Battery..... But now run that same mileage on all highway speeds 65-75 not using any battery.. Becha you wont see anything near that! I'll put 1000 on it. Going any slower on the expressway is impractical. Here in Chicago that will get you into a wreck on the Dan Ryan, quicker than you know it. Also EPA testing should reflect those conditions. Hard to do an apples to apples test when the testing is flawed and its easy to cheat.

Yes, one trip... and if I could get 82 miles out of the hybrid battery wow I sure would be doing something! That was 82 miles between Baltimore and Northern VA, of which about 65 miles was on I-95.

I don't know Dan Ryan.

You say the EPA test should reflect more realistic conditions... I agree and I think everyone on here also agrees. I don't think the testing is flawed as I believe the rules were followed since there are repercussions for not following them and publishing otherwise (didn't Hyundai and someone else just have that issue?)... so I don't think the 'testing' is flawed, per se - but the 'test' itself reflecting realistic conditions that drivers experience, yeah I definitely agree that this needs revision.

• Like 2

To me it seems Ford is cheating allot. While it technically may not be wrong, but if you could cheat on an ACT by programming the car to ace the ACT, versus real world then that is wrong as the ACT or in this case, EPA testing, your setting your self up for failure and your customers as what you see on the testing is going not going to match real world results thus creating a flawed system as the comparison is flawed. There needs to be a test of real world speeds, as its obvious that ford does not stand up to the competition at real world speeds.

Have you not noticed that there are books and courses and all sorts of resources to help students do better on the SAT or ACT. These books/courses/etc do not teach anything to these students that will improve their real world intelligence, but only are designed to help them ace the SAT/ACT. In your world that would be considered cheating on the test. But that happens every day in America. Ford did nothing wrong in my opinion. They did not break any rules that we know of and they didn't fudge any numbers that we know of.

We can debate all day about whether what they did was ethical. But if you want to question Ford's ethics then you need to question the ethics of all the students that study books or take courses designed to help them do better on the SAT/ACT without actually giving them knowledge. Because just as Ford sought an advantage by having extra high EPA numbers, those students are seeking an advantage in getting accepted into colleges by getting an extra high score on the SAT/ACT. And if you argue that Ford doesn't deserve their high EPA number then you also must argue that those students don't deserve their high SAT/ACT scores.

Edited by hybridbear
  • Like 4

.........................We can debate all day about whether what they did was ethical..................................

Nothing to debate. Somebody defines the rules of the game & you play by those rules = ethical. Ford doesn't make the rules, they simply play by them. Anyone who thinks Ford is behaving any differently than any other company is foolish.

Think the EPA (or any other govt agency) has their act together is also foolish. Most all gassers struggle to meet their EPA numbers while diesels routinely exceed the numbers...........yeah, those tests are accurate. :shrug:

• Like 1