Ford Focus DCT transmission issues, again

I purchased a new Ford Focus for my daughter for going away to college so I did not have to worry about car issues or repairs. It seems the car has not run well enough to make it to college this summer. Its now in the dealer repair shop for major transmission repairs again. This is the 2nd time for the same major issue. The 1st repair they had the car and replaced the clutches and seals and I was told the clutch failure was due to leaking seals. Fast forward to today and less than 6 months later and the car will be at the dealers for months this time. I was told that there is a needed parts shortage or a nationwide problem with the DCT transmissin and they do not know when part or the repair will be complete.

This comes at a bad time while trying to wrap up school work , transfer and moving.

As a Ford Motor employee its embarassing and does not give me a great sence of engineering skill or build quality when you have a +20 grand vehicle that does not work and still does not work. There is no way in good faith or with a straight face I could recommed a new Ford Focus vehicle for anyone to purchase. This come from myself that still currently own a 2003 with 196,000 miles and a 2004 with 142,000 miles that has been more trouble free that the new one I purchased.

This vehicle is quickly becoming a lemon law candidate and as helpful and the dealer is its part of a larger problem that Ford should address.

At this point my car with the 196,000 mile is more reliable than the "new" Focus.

So much for newer and better technology, engineering and build quality.

Edited by cal50

Parts backorders are the norm now for Ford and it just seems to get worse with the passage of time. I have so many parts backordered each week, it is sad. Which are you waiting on? If a component part cannot be obtained, the next larger unit is ok to get, per the W&P manual. So if they cant get a clutch, you can order a transmission assembly, which comes with the clutch.

Parts backorders are the norm now for Ford and it just seems to get worse with the passage of time. I have so many parts backordered each week, it is sad. Which are you waiting on? If a component part cannot be obtained, the next larger unit is ok to get, per the W&P manual. So if they cant get a clutch, you can order a transmission assembly, which comes with the clutch.

I will call the service department to find out exactly what they need and can not get.

With the number of people complaining about similar transmission issues someone inside Ford should have been more pro active in getting a repair program / schedule in place to cover arising issues. The only upside for me is Ohio has the 3 attempts for same issue then lemon law is an option. I am hoping they ( Ford) can actualy fix it but I was assured after the 1st visits with new seals , clutches and code flash it would be "good to go".

It lasted long enough to get a little farther down the road and go back to the repair bay.

Odd, I have an early production 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback which I took delivery of on July 20, 2010. Similar DCT I imagine and with 31K driven, no problems whatsoever. Unless if you consider getting constant 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway with A/C on constantly a problem. LOL How many times does a Vehicle actually (exceed) EPA Window Sticker Estimates?

Talked directly to the service rep ( Matt).

I was told my car is again waiting for either new clutches or complete clutch assy. (the rep was not certain). No parts are available nationwide so they tell me and there is one or two vehicles ahead of mine waiting for the same repairs or parts. I am now looking at a 30 or 40 day wait for parts then however long it takes to make the actual repairs on the vehicle and where mine is at in the Que.

I did ask if they could order or replace the entire transmission and the service rep said that Ford would not allow a full replacement, only needed parts that are not available. I have already lost about 1 months warranty from the past repair and now this repair the car will be out of service for a month or possible two from the sounds of it.

As an ironic side note Ford did send me an offer to extend my standard warranty on the vehicle in today mail since the vehicle has around 24,000 miles on it. At least it will be not logging more miles while it sits at the dealers’ lots.

Your rep is flat WRONG. You can get a transmission assembly for a down vehicle when a component for repair is unavailable. Have him print you a copy of pages 160 and 161 of the online Warranty and Policy Manual, under the heading Replacement or Repair Policy. He is trying to protect his 126 report numbers.

Your rep is flat WRONG. You can get a transmission assembly for a down vehicle when a component for repair is unavailable. Have him print you a copy of pages 160 and 161 of the online Warranty and Policy Manual, under the heading Replacement or Repair Policy. He is trying to protect his 126 report numbers.

Thank you for that info and I will contact the service manager / rep and see what their answer is.

Its not good to hear that when a known problem exists ( transmission ) and a vehicle is in again for the same issue that Ford and or the dealer is not really doing all they can to actually fix it IF the next level up the parts or ASSY. is available.

Years ago I purchased a new 1995 Saturn Wagon. The vehicle was 3 weeks old and suffered a a complete automatic transmission failure and was towed back to the Saturn Dealership. They immediately ordered a complete entire automatic transmission replacement and offered me a New Car Loaner in the mean time while the Car was in the Shop. I got my Vehicle back a week later and was still unsure of this vehicles future reliability with such a sudden major mechanical failure. They offered offered me a 100% complete refund plus the full allowance for the Traded In Vehicle (which was since sold) or they would "Priority" re-order a New Replacement including, at no extra charge, the Optional Traction Control my first Vehicle did not have. They gave me another New Car Loaner with Dealer Plates and my Replacement Vehicle arrived just 4 weeks later from the Factory. You might have thought I purchased a 100K Car with that kind of VIP treatment!

Talked to the dealer again today and got a different answer than before ( not really suprised ) .

They did not make a request for the next level up assy or for a replacement transmission, simply the standard "waiting for parts" which in this case will be many weeks or months.

Pretty weak service and response considering its a repeat failure and 2nd major repair on the same vehicle.

Even though I work for Ford I always look at competitors vehicles when I spend my money and service or lack of is becomming a more serious consideration. How its handeled ( or not ) is what seperates good companies from great companies. My wife did some CSR work for Nissan and they way they handle warranty claims is light years ahead of the way Ford handles theirs. Nissan actually covered many issues outside of warranty IF the customer was a loyal NIssan customer. Ford would be wise to take better care of its customer base.

I will let the repair run its course but I have little faith in the vehicle getting repaired correctly in a timely fashon or that anyone on the Ford side gives a crap.

The only up side is the mileage is low and I still have existing warranty so if or when the transmission fails again I will just go the lemon law route. Ohio has the 3 repairs for the same failure and currently I am on #2 for transmission failure. if it happens a 3rd time instead of contacting Ford or the dealer its better to get a sharp attourney and hopefully obtain a full refund. I have already lost warranty coverage ( 36 months) from prior time in the shop and will be adding another month to that time or more.