Hate the new Lincoln Obession Commericals

So if you buy a Lincoln you join a wierd league of obsessed, creepy (especially the MKZ guy), anti-social narcissists. Way to go with abysmally defining the Lincoln Motor Company and Lincoln buyers.

What I don't get is the MKZ brochure is excellent. It carries wonderful themes about Lincoln buyers being appealing individuals, about Lincoln being modern but still connected to a great heritage. Why aren't they carrying this into TV instead of this garbage.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

To a point, I agree.

I think back to Lexus' introduction to America. IIRC, most of the ads focused on engineering and quality of assembly, and that (along with the reputation they earned) seems to allow them to simply advertise cars with a bow on them and little else.

If Lincoln intends to earn the status of a Lexus (or other luxury brand), they need to focus on the quality of the vehicle, and not the OCD of their buyers.

Then again, I'm not sure that a younger ES350 owner is much different than the guy in the MKZ ad. Most ES350 owners I've noticed are older.

So if you buy a Lincoln you join a wierd league of obsessed, creepy (especially the MKZ guy), anti-social narcissists. Way to go with abysmally defining the Lincoln Motor Company and Lincoln buyers.

What I don't get is the MKZ brochure is excellent. It carries wonderful themes about Lincoln buyers being appealing individuals, about Lincoln being modern but still connected to a great heritage. Why aren't they carrying this into TV instead of this garbage.

I just saw this commercial last night, and I laughed the entire time. I saw a guy who didn't want to get his car dirty, which is awesome because that is exactly the way I feel about my MKZ. I don't let me dog ride in it and we don't eat take out in it either!

Edited by tanner83

They're not bad commercials, by their own merits, but I'd argue that they are misguided in terms of audience. The crafted message, creating an irrational moment of chaos, is quite successful. Unfortunately, the "vehicle" they chose to evoque the emotional response, a dog (a small, particularly cute dog), is currently a difficult-to-demonize player in the public's opinion.

I can see these ads playing better here in flyover country than on the coasts, where I think a more obscure, arthaus style would be more successful to court the type of buyers they are seeking.

I would have used a different trigger mechanism than the dog... perhaps the girl could be carrying a giant, lidless soda? Or perhaps have a few muddy soccer players in tow.

Expanding that... the same commercial, reimagined:

Guy is sitting at home, his phone beeps: Caller ID shows women's name, guy smirks to show interest in the female. Text message asks if he can pick her up from the park. Guy pulls up to park in his new MKZ... Beautiful female walks towards car, accompanied by 2 mud-covered soccer players. Guy has the freakout, punches "D", and peels out.

Same ad, but more identifiable.

From the MKZ brochure:

"Luxury shouldn't define who you are, it should respect who you are" -

I guess Lincoln has taken it upon themselves to publicly define its customers as rude, OCD, antisocial narcissist. This doesn't seem respectful. It certainly isn't a congruent marketing message.

"Be all of you, none of them." -

I'm not digging the "them herd" I would join if I complete my order for an MKZ.

Edited by TBirdStangSkyliner

From the MKZ brochure:

"Luxury shouldn't define who you are, it should respect who you are" -

I guess Lincoln has taken it upon themselves to publicly define its customers as rude, OCD, antisocial narcissist. This doesn't seem respectful. It certainly isn't a congruent marketing message.

"Be all of you, none of them." -

I'm not digging the "them herd" I would join if I complete my order for an MKZ.

otoh

which demographic is larger?

people who are either rude, antisocial, narcissistic, or have OCD;

or

None of those?

;)