Ford Invents New Stamping Technology

It's great to see Ford using the grants and all the R&D to push the envelope. Better yet, no issues promoting it either. Are we sure Ford is not trying to emulate VW? ;)

I remember years ago Ford was taken to task on all the R &D money spent and not seeing anything tangible from it. I can't wait to see what happens next. :)

I remember years ago Ford was taken to task on all the R &D money spent and not seeing anything tangible from it. I can't wait to see what happens next.

How many years ago? There's been a lot of R & D lately: ecoboost, hybrid battery technology, body design changes, and not that Ford developed these, they did adapt them to their vehicles; BLIS, adaptive cruise control, self parking, recycled materials, sound deadening glass, seat design...

Hopefully, there's much more to come.

How many years ago? There's been a lot of R & D lately: ecoboost, hybrid battery technology, body design changes, and not that Ford developed these, they did adapt them to their vehicles; BLIS, adaptive cruise control, self parking, recycled materials, sound deadening glass, seat design...

Hopefully, there's much more to come.

In 2005, I recall Ford stating a lot of R&D money was going into new Technologies. The reception of the 2005 Focus was luke-warm to say the least. It had the new matrieals, glass, seats and less brake-dust due to a new brake pad and rotor. Not tempature rising I admit. We started to see the results in the manufacturing process and green technologies first such as less raw materials, less water and reduced industrial emissions. My point was the past questions stemmed from R&D advances that were not readily apparent in the new cars that have not come out yet. GTDI is not a new tech nor BLIS and ACC which I first saw in Volvo when it was PAG. It's safe to say there was some R&D sharing and that's a good thing. I was not being dismissive of this article. I am quite excited to see what come out of it.

I think R&D has been one of Ford's strong points for a while. The bean counters may slow and water down what consumers get, but the company is pretty competitive with the quality and quantity of technology they come up with. The 2.7 nano with a nine or ten speed auto will be great, if executed well, and if this powertrain gets to market before small scale-cold fusion makes it obsolete.