Headliner Nightmare

nmadole

DO NOT TAKE YOUR CAR IN FOR HEADLINER RECALL UNLESS ABSOLUTLY NESSECARY

I have one of the cars with the headliner wrinkle recal.

I took the car into the dealership to have it fixed last Wednesday. It was supposed to be done Thursday (6-8 hours of labor).

They called me thursday and told me they had to order more parts because the Tech damage 4 different trim panels/ brackets.

They called me yesterday and told me they got the parts, but they ordered the wrong color. (they only offer two colors!?!?! how do you mess that up)

They told me yesterday they would pull the parts off another car.

They told me today they can't pull the pieces off a car on the lot .... no ETA on the replacment parts

It's been a week and I'm stuck driving a Mazda 6 (rental) still ... not a fan of the Mazda BTW

Update:

They were going to put the new headliner in with the damaged panels... but the new headliner (they second one they have ordered for me) is damaged. It's been sitting at their dealership for three weeks and they just now decide to inspect it... WTF

I told them I need MY car back for the weekend road trip ... SO... They are putting my old headliner (now soiled) and my original (now broken) panelling back in my car till they get all the replacment parts.

In recap the dealership has had my car for a week and are now giving it back to me more broken then when I brought it in... not happy

Update: They could not put my old headliner back in the car.. still in a rental

UPDATE: My car has been in the shop for a total of 18 days. They supposidly have the headliner and all the trim pieces, but cannot locate the drivers side retaining bracket.... So my car continue's to sit .... 7 days till I get the lawyers involved...

Edited by nmadole

My headliner issue has caused me three dealership visits and 35 days without my car. Thy went through 6 headliners. They broke A pillars B pillars, and C pillars. They put it together poorly. It's been a bad experience.

They said it was the suppliers fault that the headliners were so wrinkled.

My headliner issue has caused me three dealership visits and 35 days without my car. Thy went through 6 headliners. They broke A pillars B pillars, and C pillars. They put it together poorly. It's been a bad experience.

That is crazy; I have lost about 14 days so far because of ths issue.

Original Post Updated

I had my rear glass replaced due to defect and the headliner has to be pulled down for removal/installation of the glass. I count myself lucky that they didn't have these issues doing it. There was one wrinkle in a back corner after work was completed and I decided to live with it.

Incompetent dealers and service technicians are the cause of much expense to Ford and time to owners.

The original had a band of distortion about 6" tall that went from one side to the other. Anything passing through this band looked like a fun house mirror. The real shame of it all is the replacement glass has the same issue. I dropped it after noticing that and the wrinkle in my head liner.

In Ohio, that qualifies for Lemon Law. 30 days of shop time. It does not matter if they had parts or not. If the car was in their possession and not yours, it qualifies. Make me wonder why they didn't give it back to you until parts showed?

I just had mine done, they had it for three days no broken parts, the replaced the headliner, washer in the half shafts, cruise control button and a few othere misc things. Im not mad I got a loaner that I put 800 miles on. For how busy our dealer is it was pretty good turn around time I think, It will help when they get there no shop open that has 16 bays just for light duty diesels. I have close to 20,000 miles on my fusion already no major complaints every issue ive asked about my dealer has taken care of me.

The original had a band of distortion about 6" tall that went from one side to the other. Anything passing through this band looked like a fun house mirror. The real shame of it all is the replacement glass has the same issue. I dropped it after noticing that and the wrinkle in my head liner.

My glass has the same distortion. I assume the all Do?

Guest RRF985
My glass has the same distortion. I assume the all Do?

Mine does too but it doesn't bug me at all. I figured with the angle on that window it's bound to happen. Plus I have tint now as well.

The dealership can't put my headliner back in so I'm not getting it back like I was told yesterday ... they are however giving me a Lincoln MKS to drive till it's fixed (which is much more acceptable to me then the Mazda 6 they have had me driving) ... lemon Law in MI is 30 day's ... guess we will see how long this takes. I might be getting a 2014 Fusion

• Like 2

Mine does too and I'm going to attempt to get them to replace it. Now I'm not sure if I should bother...

Knowing then what I know now, I wouldn't have bothered with the glass. I hesitated when he told me it involved headliner removal. But I see that distortion every time I look through it and it bugs me. But since the replacement piece has the same distortion, it is an exercise in futility. Much like the service tech trying to photograph it as proof to Ford for warranty repair.

In Ohio, that qualifies for Lemon Law. 30 days of shop time. It does not matter if they had parts or not. If the car was in their possession and not yours, it qualifies. Make me wonder why they didn't give it back to you until parts showed?

They had the first set of parts when I took the car in, But upon opening the headliner package, they discovered the headliner had wrinkles. So they went to other local dealers and got 5 other headliners before they could find 1 that had the least wrinkles. They concluded that the suppliers packaging was crushing the headliner and causing the creases and wrinkles.

Meanwhile, the fuel pump recall happened, and my car was grounded at the dealer until the replacement fuel pump was delivered.

I was raising a fuss about the headliner when I visited them and saw they broke fastening tabs on the A Pillar, B Pillar, and C Pillars as they were taking everything apart. So I said that they needed to replace those as well, since I didn't want to find out they just slapped it loosely back together with gaps and hidden problems.

So they took a long time to get this all fixed to acceptable quality.

I guess now would be a bad time to note the front of the headliner just before the glass seems unfinished and starting to unravel. Looked at a new car on the lot AND a salesman's Fusion, same issue. Uh Oh.

Yes, the edges of the headliner are crap. You can easily see this on the windshield and rear window edges. It's like they cut the headliner with a jigsaw . It's frayed and unraveled. All Fusions I've looked at are the same. Poor supplier quality. I was going to find a light gray edge strip with I could put over the edge of the headliner and prevent it was falling apart in the future.

Yes, the edges of the headliner are crap. You can easily see this on the windshield and rear window edges. It's like they cut the headliner with a jigsaw . It's frayed and unraveled. All Fusions I've looked at are the same. Poor supplier quality. I was going to find a light gray edge strip with I could put over the edge of the headliner and prevent it was falling apart in the future.

Gaffer tape FTW?