SYNC 3.6 Update Process Sucks - Be patient!

PajamaGuy

I don't know why they make it so hard?

1. The download requires latest Java.
  2. I kept getting D/L errors with my Dell XPS laptop (to the USB Drive).
  3. It downloaded fine to my old Dell desktop (same USB stick)
  4. It took a llllllooooonnnngggggg time to download (30 min), and the progress bar stuck & jumped.
  5. The install directions are incorrect for my '13 Escape (there is no AUX)
  6. I had to restart the car twice to get it to recognize the USB drive.
  7. There are L-O-N-G periods of blank screen and apparent inactivity.....just take a scotch and your laptop with you and let it run. It will eventually show a slow-moving progress bar.
  8. Several black screens, restarts, radio on & off, yadda yadda.....
  9. Nothing else that I have updated as clunky as this Escape does. (I love the car, hate the MFT - will look at Buick in '14 for that specific reason)
  10. It DOES take 20-30 min, once it gets started.....

I don't know why they make it so hard?

1. The download requires latest Java.
  2. I kept getting D/L errors with my Dell XPS laptop (to the USB Drive).
  3. It downloaded fine to my old Dell desktop (same USB stick)
  4. It took a llllllooooonnnngggggg time to download (30 min), and the progress bar stuck & jumped.
  5. The install directions are incorrect for my '13 Escape (there is no AUX)
  6. I had to restart the car twice to get it to recognize the USB drive.
  7. There are L-O-N-G periods of blank screen and apparent inactivity.....just take a scotch and your laptop with you and let it run. It will eventually show a slow-moving progress bar.
  8. Several black screens, restarts, radio on & off, yadda yadda.....
  9. Nothing else that I have updated as clunky as this Escape does. (I love the car, hate the MFT - will look at Buick in '14 for that specific reason)
  10. It DOES take 20-30 min, once it gets started.....

Just FYI, when downloading, always download to your machine first, and then move to the USB stick.

Never mind, that is bad advice for Sync/MFT updates as they have to be downloaded directly to the USB stick.

Edited by fordmantpw

once downloaded to your USB Drive is it correct the car has to be running the entire time it uploads and can you be driving or does the car need to be in park?

Needs to be in park for the process to start, but once the process has started you can drive as normal, however the radio will go off and on and the screen will black out a couple times during the process.

FYI:

DA5T-14D544-BD

The latest SYNC® update includes all of the improvements from previous updates, plus additional benefits, such as:

• Information display on the homescreen for HD, Sirius (if equipped), and FM radio sources
  • Simplified graphics and improved usability
  • Enhanced voice destination entry for SD Card Navigation (if equipped)
  • Improved Navigation vehicle positioning (if equipped)
  • Rear view camera guidelines set to ON by default (if equipped)
  • Updated SYNC/device compatibility information

The installation of this update will take up to 30 minutes to complete. Be sure to keep your engine running, not in accessory mode, throughout the entire installation process. Turning off your vehicle during the update installation will disrupt the process. Although your vehicle must be in park when you begin the installation process, you may drive your vehicle while the update is downloading to your SYNC system. If your vehicle is equipped with the Intelligent Access with Push Button Start feature, you will need to temporarily disable the Automatic Engine Idle Shutdown (AEIS) component before beginning the installation in order to prevent your vehicle from timing out and shutting off the engine before the software update is complete. To disable this feature, use your steering wheel controls to navigate to the Settings menu on your left-hand Instrument Cluster LCD display. From there, select Vehicle >Auto Engine Off >Off. (If you do not see this setting, there is no need to make any changes before starting the update.) Alternatively, after initiating the installation, you may drive the vehicle during the update process to avoid the engine shutting off. The AEIS will automatically reset to "On" the next time you start your vehicle.

Please note: During the update installation, SYNC will temporarily appear to not recognize your mobile phone or media device. This is normal.

When your system has been successfully updated, SYNC will display a notification saying, "Installation complete."

Did it while driving home from work. Just a bit if advice drop your volume all the way because when it randomly goes to AM channel 600 at half volume you go deaf from static.... Besides that it finished before I was home. I see no point in wasting gas letting the car idle while installing

• Like 1

Did it while driving home from work. Just a bit if advice drop your volume all the way because when it randomly goes to AM channel 600 at half volume you go deaf from static.... Besides that it finished before I was home. I see no point in wasting gas letting the car idle while installing

Nice move. Economy of time and gas, I like it.

Btw an update about 3.6 when I put on notifications under my phone's Bluetooth settings I get my texts now. Scared the cr@p out of me when it went off and then I hit listen instead of view because I didn't know the menu options and the voice is by far creepy. I mean c'mon it says "smiley face" for a ":)" LOL