Powertrain Control Module Calibration!

Mystiq

Anyone else get this letter from Ford?

"At Ford Motor Company, it has been our goal for more than 100 years to provide customers with high-quality, dependable products. In order to main these standards, Ford Motor Company is providing a no-charge Customer Satisfaction Program (Program Number 13B07) for your vehicle, with the VIN shown above.

What is the issue? Ford Motor Company continuously strives to deliver advanced hybrid powertrains. An improved Powertrain Control Module calibration is now available for your vehicle. With this calibration change, the gasoline engine will continue to start and stop automatically to provide power when it's needed and to save fuel when it's not, but the vehicle speed at which the engine can shut down has been raised from 62 mph to 85 mph. The improved calibration includes other refinements that can also help to reduce fuel consumption under certain conditions.

These enhancements offer the potential for reduced fuel consumption for many of our customers. The degree to which you experience reduced fuel consumption will depend on a number of factors specific to your vehicle usage, including your personal driving style, the nature of the routes that you typically drive, and the climate in your area.

Please see the enclosed pamphlet or visit www.Fordowner.com for advice on fuel-efficient driving tips."

This is just the first bullet point. The rest is how to do it (visit your dealer), how long it takes, and other such information.

Obviously, I have no idea what these other "calibrations" are other than raising the speed. I'm curious what it does. I haven't had it done yet but I plan to soon.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I had Program Number 13B07 hardware/software upgrade installed at the Sunset Ford Dealership, St. Louis on 29 August 2013.

I have been tracking my mileage at each fill-up (10 of them since my purchase in July). Prior to the hardware/software installation I was averaging 38.19 mpg. On the first fill-up after the installation (8 September) my calculation was 30.17 mpg, which is the lowest since purchasing my car.

I am disappointed, as I have not changed my driving habits nor the driving area. I will continue to monitor, and report back.

This applies to all hybrid owners as Ford has taken much guff for the low mileage on these vehicles. Should mean the higher mileage that was advertised.

Not only Ford.

Interesting article in USA Today yesterday - summary = odds of getting EPA mpg for gasoline engines between slim & none........and slim just left town. Chances of hitting them with a hybrid even less.

Source was Edmunds & various other auto information sites. Opinion was take the EPA rating & subtract 10% if your "hypermiler" type driver, more like 15% for average driver. For hybrids start @ 20% and take more off from there for driving habits.

Stunner I know - yet another failed govt agency can't get a damn thing right....................but I live in DC - take a baboon, give 'em a frontal lobotomy & you've got your avg federal employee. :) (seriously - about 1 in 12 actually do anything & that's what keeps the govt going, the one in a dozen)

Edited by Bailey151

Stunner I know - yet another failed govt agency can't get a damn thing right.

While I hate to disagree about the gov't getting things wrong, in this case that's not accurate.

I also disagree that the chances of hitting EPA mpg is slim and none. It's easier in some vehicles and harder in others but there are plenty of 2013 Ford hybrid drivers getting EPA mpg now.

The EPA test was never about predicting your fuel economy. The test is to measure CAFE compliance which is why it's so regimented - it has to be repeatable across vehicles and brands. The window sticker is just an offshoot so you can compare different vehicles.

Let me repeat that - it was never intended to predict your expect fuel economy. YMMV is not just a catch phrase. In fact the older stickers had a range of values on it which was more accurate but pretty useless for comparisons.

While I hate to disagree about the gov't getting things wrong, in this case that's not accurate.

Let me repeat that - it was never intended to predict your expect fuel economy. YMMV is not just a catch phrase. In fact the older stickers had a range of values on it which was more accurate but pretty useless for comparisons.

Well we could go on for years trying to find a successful govt program but that's not relevant to the Fusion.

CAFE............lmao, really? The fail that gave us the Stupid Useless Vehicle loophole? Yeah, whatever.

Yep, it's intended to compare vehicles...............too bad they don't make that clear to the buying public. If they did nobody would be filing lawsuits. And one can make up all the BS they want - it's a fail. Same level of "achievement" as the Cretin Air Resources Bureau (CARB)............in order to "compare" vehicles I would need to know that gas averages a 10-15% hit, hybrids a 20% and diesels exceed by 15+%.

Or a real world example I'm shopping for a mid sized sedan........................Ford's Fusion Hybrid EPA is 47/47 & VW's Passat TDI EPA is 31/43. Reading that one might assume the Ford to be more fuel efficient. Oh crap - real world the Ford averages closer to 40 & the VW closer to 42. Way to go EPA - fail even in comparison, what a good job!

Let's also not forget the loopholes that caught Ford & the CMax. Gave it the same rating using EPA's similar vehicle standards..........oops, not even close due to the vehicle aerodynamics.

Somebody may be benefiting from CARB, CAFE, and the EPA...................but it sure as hell ain't the consumer.

Well we could go on for years trying to find a successful govt program but that's not relevant to the Fusion.

CAFE............lmao, really? The fail that gave us the Stupid Useless Vehicle loophole? Yeah, whatever.

Yep, it's intended to compare vehicles...............too bad they don't make that clear to the buying public. If they did nobody would be filing lawsuits. And one can make up all the BS they want - it's a fail. Same level of "achievement" as the Cretin Air Resources Bureau (CARB)............in order to "compare" vehicles I would need to know that gas averages a 10-15% hit, hybrids a 20% and diesels exceed by 15+%.

Or a real world example I'm shopping for a mid sized sedan........................Ford's Fusion Hybrid EPA is 47/47 & VW's Passat TDI EPA is 31/43. Reading that one might assume the Ford to be more fuel efficient. Oh crap - real world the Ford averages closer to 40 & the VW closer to 42. Way to go EPA - fail even in comparison, what a good job!

Let's also not forget the loopholes that caught Ford & the CMax. Gave it the same rating using EPA's similar vehicle standards..........oops, not even close due to the vehicle aerodynamics.

Somebody may be benefiting from CARB, CAFE, and the EPA...................but it sure as hell ain't the consumer.

I wasn't arguing that CAFE was good or even made sense. I'm just saying that if you're going to have CAFE rules then you need a test to enforce it that is scientifically sound and repeatable. And the EPA test is the only test that meets that criteria.

And it wouldn't matter what type of warning or wording they add to the label - consumers only see the number. They can adjust the reported fuel economy like they did in 2008 to better match hybrid figures with real world averages. But you're still publishing one number (say 40 mpg) whereas drivers in the "real world" will still get anywhere from 30 mpg to 50 mpg depending on how they drive it.

The idea that anyone can come up with a test that yields a perfect or better single figure is wishful thinking.

.Ford's Fusion Hybrid EPA is 47/47 & VW's Passat TDI EPA is 31/43. Reading that one might assume the Ford to be more fuel efficient.

I simply read that as what it is - if you drive it EXACTLY like the EPA test then those are the figures you will achieve. It can be harder or easier to meet or exceed those figures depending on how you drive and the technology (ecoboost vs. last gen hybrid vs. new gen hybrid vs. manuals vs. diesels).

First fill up since the update, I am surprised to have my lowest fuel economy yet at 36.9 vs. averaging 40mpg before. I notice while driving it switches to the battery more frequently but isn't able to sustain it as long. This is traveling over the same roads I was before on my commuter route to work. It's only one fuel up so I will reserve judgement for a bit but I was surprised. The weather wasn't terribly different either. We will see.

First fill up since the update, I am surprised to have my lowest fuel economy yet at 36.9 vs. averaging 40mpg before. I notice while driving it switches to the battery more frequently but isn't able to sustain it as long. This is traveling over the same roads I was before on my commuter route to work. It's only one fuel up so I will reserve judgement for a bit but I was surprised. The weather wasn't terribly different either. We will see.

There has been extended coverage on the fordfusionhybridforum.com on this topic. It seems that a "hard reset" helps to "reprogram" the mapping tables after the update in case the MPG have taken a hit. There have been a few owners that have reported the best mileage since getting their cars over 10.000 miles ago.

Here is a link to a new and still short thread with a HowTo on the second post.

http://fordfusionhybridforum.com/topic/7531-battery-disconnect-fix/