2013 4x4 Rear End Whine

Gator06

I've got a 2013 Escape 2.0 4x4 with about 5000 miles and I've been experiencing a whining noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. It becomes noticeable around 45mph, is loudest at 50mph and then quickly goes away just before reaching 55mph. Everything feels normal and this happens regardless of what gear the transmission is in. It's really become quite annoying since I noticed it a few weeks ago. Does anyone else with the same drivetrain configuration experience the same? I'm hesitant to have the dealer tearing apart my brand new car if this is normal but concerned it could become a serious issue down the road.

Yeah I have a similar noise. It only occurs for me upon tip in though and if I back out, the noise goes away. My guess is that it's just gear whine hitting a resonance frequency. I mentioned it to my dealership and have a record of my complaint from back before I had 1k miles on it, just in case I roll 61k and the RDU goes out on me, I'll have evidence that it's been wrong since day one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

We have a new 2014 Escape SE AWD 2.0L Turbo. It has just started exhibiting this exact problem (at 1000 miles). It sounds like rear end gear whine (like on a solid rear axle car) though not howling loud - foot on the gas it starts, ease off it goes away. Starts at 45 mph, gets louder 50-55 then the sound of the car covers it (but it's still there if you really listen).

Has anyone dealt with this - taken it to Ford for service or read any service bulletins?

Any info would be appreciated. I will post back as I work to get it resolved.

Thanks.

Update: We had recently put a new set of Michelin X-Ice tires on the Escape. However two of them were defective - out of round. These were put on the rear wheels as we waited for replacements to arrive. Well, the replacements are on the rear wheels now, and the whine is greatly reduced. It's still there starting at about 44 mph but goes away in the 50's. This makes no sense whatsoever, since the whine happens when the drivetrain is under load (foot on gas) and goes away when you remove your foot from the throttle. Sounds like it possibly happens on turns, but less so, which still indicates a differential-related sound. Very strange. Tire sounds are usually either there or not. The change in sound with the change in tires is undeniable, however.

So I cancelled the appointment with Ford Service until I could drive the car with the stock Continentals and see if the sound goes away. I don't want to waste anyone's time if it somehow turns out to be the tires. I will be happy if so, but my concept of reality will be altered forever. ;)

I'll keep you all posted.

(Edit: corrected tire name)

Edited by 2LiterTurbo

There was a differential problem on another vehicle a few years ago with similar symptoms - it would show up around 45 mph and disappear above 62 mph (guessing at actual speeds but you get the idea). In that case they put the wrong fluid or additive in the diff.

• 4 weeks later...

I bought a 2013 Ford Escape SEL on October 31st 2013. It had a rear end Noise from the beginning. It went into the shop for 1 week a month after owning it. For the noise and among other things. Got the car back still had the noise. I dealt with the noise at the holidays were approaching. I brought it back to Ford on Monday January 20, 2014 and today is February 13,2014 and they still currently have it. They have replaced, rear wheel bearings, rear differential, drive shafts, power take off unit for the AWD, still no fix. On Monday it will be in the shop for 5 weeks. Iam leaving for vacation on the 28th of this month and have no car. My dealership has done everything Ford has wanted them to change, no luck. I contacted Ford Myself about a replacement vehicle and they laughed at me. Don't you think that 5 weeks for a BRAND NEW car is long enough? Don't you think Ford should stand behind their vehicle and make it right with me? We are on the verge of Lemon Law. I don't want to have to go this route but unfortunately Ford has lost their Customer Service Skills. So beware to anyone else that has this problem, you will be in the same boat as me and Ford doesn't care!! Good Luck!

• 11 months later...