Soup kitchen turns away help

A soup kitchen director in SC decided that atheist volunteers weren't welcome so they gathered and gave away stuff to the homeless right across the street.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20131023/ARTICLES/131029846/1083/ARTICLES?p=2&tc=pg

A group of Upstate atheists plans to hand out care packages downtown this weekend after the Spartanburg Soup Kitchen wouldn't let them volunteer.

On Saturday, about 10 people are expected to gather across from the soup kitchen and hand out care packages to the homeless. The 300 packages contain socks, gloves, toothpaste, toothbrushes, combs, soap, rain ponchos, snacks, shaving razors, antiseptic wipes, deodorants, tissues and gum........

.....Lou Landrum, executive director of the Soup Kitchen, told the Herald-Journal she would resign from her job before she let atheists volunteer and be a "disservice to this community."

"This is a ministry to serve God" she said. "We stand on the principles of God. Do they (atheists) think that our guests are so ignorant that they don't know what an atheist is? Why are they targeting us? They don't give any money. I wouldn't want their money."

A soup kitchen director in SC decided that atheist volunteers weren't welcome so they gathered and gave away stuff to the homeless right across the street.

http://www.goupstate.com/article/20131023/ARTICLES/131029846/1083/ARTICLES?p=2&tc=pg

Let the Atheists start their own Soup Kitchen.

But, I admire their intent to serve those in need. Christians or any other religious groups do not own the concept of charity and compassion, but a religious organized charity service should not be forced to accept participants who may/would try to undermine their religious beliefs and mission.

• Like 2

That's ridiculous. Since when does a soup kitchen have anything to do with religious beliefs? And why/how would an Atheist use that to "undermine" anything?

Besides - don't Christians want to associate with Atheists so they can save them? Would they ban an Atheist from attending church?

Let the Atheists start their own Soup Kitchen.

But, I admire their intent to serve those in need. Christians or any other religious groups do not own the concept of charity and compassion, but a religious organized charity service should not be forced to accept participants who may/would try to undermine their religious beliefs and mission.

Secular institutions accept religious volunteers all the time and i'm sure that you would scream like a little girl if the VA told the various religious service organizations that they weren't welcome.

.....Lou Landrum, executive director of the Soup Kitchen, told the Herald-Journal she would resign from her job before she let atheists volunteer and be a "disservice to this community."

Love thy neighbor, unless thy neighbor is different.

Makes me wonder if he'd serve an atheist homeless person.

Edited by NickF1011

While I may not have done the same (and we're assuming the volunteer didn't show up wearing a T-shirt that said, "There is no God"), you can love thy neighbor and choose not to associate with him.

Obviously, the volunteer identified himself as atheist. Why?

Obviously, the volunteer identified himself as atheist. Why?

They are an atheist volunteer group. It's in their name: Upstate Atheists. They went to volunteer as a group.

Loved this line too:

"They can set up across the street from the Soup Kitchen. They can have the devil there with them, but they better not come across the street," Landrum said.

That mean ol' devil! Getting people to hand out care packages like that. The "devil's work" for sure. Some people are far too self-absorbed to see the greater good.

• Like 1

They are an atheist volunteer group. It's in their name: Upstate Atheists. They went to volunteer as a group.

Loved this line too:

That mean ol' devil! Getting people to hand out care packages like that. The "devil's work" for sure. Some people are far too self-absorbed to see the greater good.

Yes, but we don't have any idea how they presented themselves at the time, do we?

My guess is the atheists are no less culpable for the situation than the woman at the shelter. But, we'll never hear that, if it makes the Christians' situation more understandable.

I have relatives who would have reacted in exactly the way portrayed in the article, so I know from experience it CAN happen however, as I said before, I don't believe I would have had the same attitude as the woman at the shelter, but I would really like to know more about her side of the story.

Yes, but we don't have any idea how they presented themselves at the time, do we?

My guess is the atheists are no less culpable for the situation than the woman at the shelter. But, we'll never hear that, if it makes the Christians' situation more understandable.

I have relatives who would have reacted in exactly the way portrayed in the article, so I know from experience it CAN happen however, as I said before, I don't believe I would have had the same attitude as the woman at the shelter, but I would really like to know more about her side of the story.

They probably introduced themselves, as all volunteer groups assumingly would: "Hi we've from the volunteer group Upstate Atheists. We've worked with Habitat for Humanity, etc. We would like to volunteer at your soup kitchen."

Of course, condemning an atheist to hang out with the devil doesn't really accomplish much, for obvious reasons.

Edited by NickF1011

They probably introduced themselves, as all volunteer groups assumingly would: "Hi we've from the volunteer group Upstate Atheists. We've worked with Habitat for Humanity, etc. We would like to volunteer at your soup kitchen."

Perhaps.

But we also don't know if they've had run-ins with the (atheist) group in the past.

It this group wants to be active in the community, not working in one soup kitchen isn't going to prevent them; although it might not be newsworthy. (which for some reason this apparently was)

Edited by RangerM

Perhaps.

But we also don't know if they've had run-ins with the (atheist) group in the past.

It this group wants to be active in the community, not working in one soup kitchen isn't going to prevent them; although it might not be newsworthy. (which for some reason this apparently was)

Seems like a small regional story to me, so not really sure who is really trying to bring attention to it. Seems the atheist group is just fine with doing their own thing across the street.

That's ridiculous. Since when does a soup kitchen have anything to do with religious beliefs? And why/how would an Atheist use that to "undermine" anything?

Besides - don't Christians want to associate with Atheists so they can save them? Would they ban an Atheist from attending church?

When it's established by several religious organizations. It's their Kitchen. I disagree with the response given, but here is no right to volunteer to help someone. Volunteering implies offering service, not demanding an opportunity.

Personally, I would have tried to find an acceptable understanding that the Atheist group would not interfere with the Kitchen's mission of feeding the needy as they saw fit.

Secular institutions accept religious volunteers all the time and i'm sure that you would scream like a little girl if the VA told the various religious service organizations that they weren't welcome.

The Soup Kitchen is a private operation. The VA is a government operation. There is a significant difference in expectations and obligations.

Looks like some in the Kitchen need to reflect on what they are trying to accomplish and the example they wish set.

Perhaps there's some history between the groups and they were trying to pick at a scab.

There was a Christian group that went to Indonesia after the tsunami and would only hand out goods if they were allowed to proselytize. When one village told them no, they packed up and headed off to another.

When it's established by several religious organizations. It's their Kitchen. I disagree with the response given, but here is no right to volunteer to help someone. Volunteering implies offering service, not demanding an opportunity.

Personally, I would have tried to find an acceptable understanding that the Atheist group would not interfere with the Kitchen's mission of feeding the needy as they saw fit.

The Soup Kitchen is a private operation. The VA is a government operation. There is a significant difference in expectations and obligations.

Looks like some in the Kitchen need to reflect on what they are trying to accomplish and the example they wish set.

Perhaps there's some history between the groups and they were trying to pick at a scab.

The VA is a government institution who could offer that Christians would profess their beliefs and that would leave those receiving treatment uncomfortable, but they work with a majority of groups who want to help. (outside of groups like the KKK and stuff)

There was a Christian group that went to Indonesia after the tsunami and would only hand out goods if they were allowed to proselytize. When one village told them no, they packed up and headed off to another.

Not how I would handle it, but when you are asking for a handout or someone is sacrificing to offer assistance, it's somewhat ungrateful to be so picky. But, I respect their faithful adherence to their standards.

It's not like they had to circumcise their boys for them to get a slice of bread to eat.

The VA is a government institution who could offer that Christians would profess their beliefs and that would leave those receiving treatment uncomfortable, but they work with a majority of groups who want to help. (outside of groups like the KKK and stuff)

What if the KKK wanted to volunteer to assist with voter registrations in inner city precincts or pro-life groups assist women who enter "Family Planning Centers"?

Not how I would handle it, but when you are asking for a handout or someone is sacrificing to offer assistance, it's somewhat ungrateful to be so picky. But, I respect their faithful adherence to their standards.

It's not like they had to circumcise their boys for them to get a slice of bread to eat.

The people in the village didn't ask that American group for a handout.

No one in the village begged the Christian group for help, nor did they deserve to have potential unasked for but appreciated aid held over their heads to allow so that some Christians could preach.

It shows something that you referred to aid as a handout.

Edited by Langston Hughes

What if the KKK wanted to volunteer to assist with voter registrations in inner city precincts or pro-life groups assist women who enter "Family Planning Centers"?

As long as pro-life people don't express their views that run counter to the organization then they should be able to.

and your not getting me on the Klan, they can go fuck themselves.

• 2 weeks later...

So you'd turn away assistance from a group who's ideology doesn't align with yours?

What makes you different from the Soup Kitchen director refusing the Athiests offers?

Really? That's your reply. It took you 8 days to come up with that horseshit? Way to come hard sally!

Edited by Langston Hughes