JDPower Dependability- 4 Cylinders Cause of Drop

They cite the rising number of (more powerful) 4-cylinder engines/transmissions, but the study was directed at 41,000 owners of 2011 model vehicles.

Does anyone remember a sudden rise in the number of "more powerful" 4-cylinder (as opposed to formerly 6-cylinder) cars introduced in 2011? The Hyundai Sonata (and its Kia twin) is the only one I can think of.

With regard to the Volt, I'm sure 4 out of (the) 5 Volt owners recommend sugarless Volts for those who drive cars.

Edited by RangerM

I've shared these thoughts before JDPower report.......CAFE pushing technology before it's time. In quest of MPG with minimal performance sacrifice........fewer cylinders, forced induction, lighter weights for body and soul. Increased stress, heat, wear, exposing rushed technology. I've witnessed this in the air and off road. For now, naturally aspirated, state of the art power plants and transmissions are my products of choice......

"Sargent said the engines themselves may not be troublesome, though influential outlets such as Consumer Reports have panned turbocharged four-cylinders. Rather, he said, drivers may be accustomed to a larger engine and therefore find the smaller one “different” and report that difference as a problem."