Taurus AWD

provider

I am interested in a 2015 Taurus Limited AWD. That said, and knowing nothing about AWD I have asked a couple of dealership sales people how it works. One said 4 wheels all the time, another said one front wheel drives and another one kicks in when the front one slips.

Is there someone on here that knows for sure and can set my mind to rest? Why don't they know?

Thanks in advance.

Neither one is accurate. Ford's AWD system has intelligence and the ability to send most of the torque to the rear wheels. It monitors wheel slippage, steering angle, throttle position, etc. and will send power to the rear to either respond to a slip condition on the front wheels or to prevent a potential slip condition (when accelerating hard or cornering hard, etc.). Under normal conditions it sends most if not all of the power to the front wheels.

Akirby......first, do I need it, no. I am an older retired guy that is used to having the rear tires do the work. Where I am, 3 - 4 times a year in a little snow front wheel drive would be fine. I guess it's just a peace of mind thing. Besides the hit in mileage and initial costs, what are the down sides?

Besides the hit in mileage and initial costs, what are the down sides?

Other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

Those are the downsides along with slightly higher risk of future repairs, especially with the PTU. If you don't really think you need it then I would skip it.

I would agree with akirby (shocker). If you don't need AWD, then don't order it. You will pay for it upfront and will pay for it every time at the pump.

We have a Flex with AWD (the same system as the Taurus) and have had no issues with it. However, where we live, we need it, so for us, it wasn't an option. If you are wanting to save a few bucks, then just go with front wheel drive instead of AWD.

IMO AWD is great feature, not only for snow covered roads, but slick rainy roads as well.

Plus IMO Ford's AWD system gives a very good driving dynamics characteristics, nice and hunkered down feeling.

Plus a really nice back to front balance feeling and secure or confident inspiring.

Ford's AWD system works really well with the advance traction control and stability programming.

Edited by MKII