2008 random no start

AACoPD05

I have a 2008 MKZ with only 27k on it. Three times now I've had an issued where when I try to start it it just cranks and doesn't start. If I turn the key off and try again it starts right up. Theres no rhyme or reason to it. It did it once, then went months with it being ok, then it did it again. Some time passed and it did it again today. There is no check engine light. The car does have factory installed remote start, but the no start issue only seems to do it when using the key in the ignition. The car runs perfect other then this occasional no start problem.

Any thoughts?

Does your engine have "One Touch Start" (i.e. the engine will continue to crank after the key is released from the START position) ?

This feature was added to almost all engines (it is a software feature) about that time and is designed to solve these "longer than average" crank issues. Even with OTS, no starts still rarely occur.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes it does. In fact now that you mention it each no start incident occurred while the vehicle was cranking on its own without my hand on the key. Is there something with this system I should be looking at, such as a software upgrade?