Jeep Grand Cherokee

chevys

Out shopping tonight with a family member for a new SUV/CUV and one of these caught my eye. They left it unlocked so I was able to get in it and pop the hook ect.... For what ever reason these have gone under my radar because I am not much of a Chryco fan in general but this thing looked really nice to me.

A quick check of the specs and this thing checks all the boxes for me for the most part. I am wondering if any of you guys know anything about them in general and and trouble spots to watch for? I know the 8 speeds are probably too new to determine if they are reliable. Appreciate any opinions.

If it's the ZF 8HP transmission -- and I believe it is -- that one has gotten use out of everything from Audi to BMW to Chrysler to Dodge to Jeep to whoever uses it. Never heard of it breaking.

The current GC is the second year of a refresh, I believe. I don't recall any particular trouble spots, but Intrepidatious -- our resident Mopar expert -- may know more than me.

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Hey, you are looking at a nice truck. The current generation has been widely praised as the best Grand Cherokee yet. I've not heard of any reliability issues. It's a completely different experience from the dismal WK (last gen Grand Cherokee which was a low water mark if you ask me).

Any engine you get are good choices. The Pentastar 6 is a good engine that doesn't feel like a "base" engine. The Hemi obviously has been around for a long time now and has proven itself.

I'm sure what made you post this thread was the experience of sitting in one so I don't need to tell you the interior is one if the best on the market. Not bad for a 4 year old design.

They hold their resale pretty good as most Jeeps do.

Basically, you won't go wrong with one. If you need a 3rd row, check out the Durango. Same platform as the GC but a big bigger and a pretty good value.

Edited by Intrepidatious

Appreciate the info. We are going to go and drive one soon. Our local stealer only has the V6 so we are not too happy about that. I have a little test route that will torture an engine uphill and I plan on taking the Cherokee on it. Up hill, from a dead stop and a hard mile up hill with the AC blowing wide open and lets just see wht the 3.6 will do.

I purchased a GC Overland last fall. Had an Explorer Sport Trac and was looking for another smaller truck but nothing interested me. F150 was a non-starter due to size. The Explorer did not do anything for me, and there was no Eco-boost in a 4wd version. The GC caught my eye and after looking it over really appealed to me. Mine has just over 17k miles on it and It has proven to be a very nice vehicle so far. The seats were a little firm at first but are now pleasant (or I'm just used to them). It drives fantastic, rides nice, turns on a dime and seems to have enough room for what I need. I have a small trailer hauling my dirtbike and other things that won't fit inside. I get ~22mpg commuting in terrible traffic. Pretty easy to get 25 on the Interstate and a little more if on a 50-55mph country road. Computer calculates to within 1 mpg of what I calculate using miles/gallons. The engine and transmission have been fine. The tranny makes an occasional clunk when starting in motion. About the same as the 6-speed in my ST. Coworkers and friends that have ridden in it seem to really like it too.