Edge with 4 Cylinder Ecoboost

davidceder

Went and drove the Sport again yesterday with both 20 and 21 inch wheels. I found the ride a bit better with the 20's but I don't know how much air was in the tires so a bit suggestive. What I did find was that the acoustics in the car with the 20 inch was worse than the 21s, sort of a buffeting sound, like driving at high speeds with a window partially open. I am sure all this is suggestive and I attribute the difference that the 20 incher did not have a BAMR and the 21 did. But this is not my issue. I found the sport ride to be a bit stiffer than I cared for. I love everything else about it especially the engine but comfort is comfort and I am not getting any younger.

I am going to test drive a Titanium at my next opportunity. I would prefer to have the 4 Cyl Ecoboost engine if I go this route. I live in the mountains of Arizona a a round trip to Phoenix (which we do very often) has about 9000 feet of climbing, some fairly steep so I was wondering for you folks that have this engine:

How is it performing on hills and the ability to pass on the hwy going between 65-75?

Thank you

Do you ever encounter and snow in the mountains ? I don't think either the 20" or 21" tires will do well in snow.

I sure wish you could get the 2.7L EcoBoost in the Titanium or SEL.

Also, Ford need to add HD Trailer Tow package for the 2.7L. Bigger engine oil cooler. Auxiliary transmission oil cooler. Class III hitch (5,000 lbs limit is adequate), 7 way trailer harness with tap in for electric brake controller and re-calibrated anti-lock brakes.

Edited by theoldwizard

Why do you think the 20 or 21 inch all seasons wont do well in snow with AWD?

To answer your question we do get snow a couple of times a year. Just had 4-5 inches on Monday. I have a 4 wheel drive Expedition and one ton so my only real experience might be getting caught in some unexpected snow comming home from a trip. If I know it it might snow I would take one of the other vehicles.

I don't know the exact specs of the 20/21" wheels, but the tread pattern and tire width are the biggest parts of the traction equation. I had 275 width winter tires on my car and I slid all over, when I stepped down to 245s traction was noticibly better because there was more weight per square inch in the surface area of the tire in contact with the ground. This makes the car "cut" deeper into snow and you'll have a better chance of actually touching pavement if the roads are snow covered.

http://www.tirerack.com/winter/tech/techpage.jsp?techid=126

Went out this afternoon and drove an SEL with the 4 cyl turbo. Loved the soft ride and plenty of power for coming up the hills. Saturday we are going down to Phoenix to drive a Sport, Titanium with the 6 and a Titanium with the 4. Than come hell or high water I am ordering that sucker. Got a commitment from my dealer for $400.00 under invoice even though they are not a Costco provider. They are willing to price match and not make me purchase, tint, etching or nitrogen.

Might get the front windows tinted. This is Arizona after all. Maybe a clear bra. Lots of rocks up here in the mountains. Either way I think it is a good deal. Right now there is an $881.00 group savings on the 302A package. I need to make sure I get that and any additional incentives when I buy.

I think the package savings are the same for the entire model year. So there is no possibility for that incentive to go away. Also, go on the X-Plan pin request forum and request an x-plan PIN. If you use the x-plan I think Ford forces a maximum doc fee of $199, so that may give you greater savings even though the sale price of the vehicle will be a bit more than $400 under Invoice, I think.

Edited by cab2g

Max doc fee for X plan is $100. But X plan is about $150 over invoice.

$400 below invoice plus $400 doc fee is cheaper than X plan $150 over invoice plus $100 doc fee.

Assuming there are no other hidden chages.

x plan is over invoice? yikes. oops. Well I didn't use x-plan. Sorry about the bad advice davidceder

Max doc fee for X plan is $100. But X plan is about $150 over invoice.

$400 below invoice plus $400 doc fee is cheaper than X plan $150 over invoice plus $100 doc fee.

Assuming there are no other hidden chages.

$400 below invoice probably includes incentives, which would also applies to X-plan price too.

So to compare apples to apples, OP need to know how the dealer arrived at the $400 below invoice offer.

i.e.

Selling price $xxxxx - incentive $xxx = $400 below invoce

vs.

X-plan price $yyyyy ($150 over invoice) - incentive $xxx = ??? Surely lower than $400 below invoice?

When having these price negotiations with a dealer is any part of their "hold back" off the table? If not, what is a reasonable amount to attempt to claw back? Not looking to deny a reasonable profit by them, but not wishing to leave any extra cash on the table either.

It's always on the table, but I never try to dip into it. You're only talking $1200 on a $40K vehicle - that's not much when you consider the sales staff and inventory costs. Although I've seen claims of dealers selling below invoice.

The Costco program is invoice (minus) some predetermined amount, in this case $400.00. The package discount shows up on the invoice price as an item when I build it on the NADA site so that package discount is worth -$881.00 invoice and -$945 MSRP. Have no idea about holdbacks and personally don't care. Ya can't find it out I feel that's just the way it is. I think under invoice for a popular car is a good deal. I live in a small town and my local Ford dealer, one of only two entire dealers in the town, the other is a GM is matching the Costco price even though they are not a Costco dealer and not making me take any extras. The other dealer in the valley is forcing me to take over $600.00 in extras. Good to support my town and neighbors.....and keep my dealer in business so I can get service. Businesses come ang go rather quickly in small towns...........There was someone on this forum that paid $100.00 over invoice and thought he did well. Better off spending $50.00 to join Costco and getting their discount. Just say'n