MagnaRide Shocks for the Mustang GT

meyeste

It seems inevitable that at least some of the GT350's go fast options will make it to the lowly Mustang GT, of particular interest are the MagnaRide shocks, I assuming it's a matter of when not if, these will become and option for the Mustang GT, so 2017? I like the Mustang GT as it is, though I am not a track racer and frankly the Mustang is an option for me to buy now because for the first time the interior is really good, however the suspension is a little rough for me - even on the non-track pack car.

Other than that, why bother having different front ends on the GT and GT350? I know the front end was widened to allow for larger tires on the GT350, however those larger tires aren't necessary are they? IMO the lower hood height on the GT350 also helps visibility, which can only be a good thing.

• 2 months later...

I do want to second this, and add a couple, it seems when the 2016 Camaro came out perhaps people at Ford were thinking - GM has just killed the S550 in it's infancy. However now we are finding out the reception among those that vote with their own money isn't so warm the Camaro is now a Challenger sales competitor vs. the Mustangs' rival. Why the Camaro isn't selling well is anyone's guess though I don't believe it's due to lack of supply, and educated guess - GM priced it too high and they made the rear seat unusable.

I applaud your decision (conscious or not) to maintain rear leg room and a trunk that would actually provide adequate storage for a long weekend get away. And yes I am the guy that frequently comments "my 68 Mustang coupe had a very usable back seat, and that car was noticeably smaller than the current generation - what gives?".

I believe it or not I know more than one mid-aged guy with a Porsche 911 that was able to seal the deal because a 911 actually has a back seat to shuttle around kids. So lesson learned performance is important however long term livability and is king for these cars, anyone that says otherwise doesn't have kids and let's be honest most of us with money in our pockets have kids. Perhaps GM will figure out how to move Camaro's, I personally don't believe anyone that is objectively looking at a car as having to fulfill the role of daily transportation and ever has the possibility of more than two getting in the car can look at a Camaro and think "yes this'll work".

So my additions; go ahead and make a version of the S550 GT that has the GT350's suspension under it, also and make GT350's front end the standard for the platform - my only criticism of the Mustang is the prominence of the hood however nice it may be. With the S650 PLEASE maintain or even expand the rear seat leg room. I know the M4/911's are used as benchmarks performance wise pay attention to the rear leg room, being able to put kids in the back that have legs is a deal maker.

Edited by meyeste

I do want to second this, and add a couple, it seems when the 2016 Camaro came out perhaps people at Ford were thinking - GM has just killed the S550 in it's infancy. However now we are finding out the reception among those that vote with their own money isn't so warm the Camaro is now a Challenger sales competitor vs. the Mustangs' rival. Why the Camaro isn't selling well is anyone's guess though I don't believe it's due to lack of supply, and educated guess - GM priced it too high and they made the rear seat unusable.

I applaud your decision (conscious or not) to maintain rear leg room and a trunk that would actually provide adequate storage for a long weekend get away. And yes I am the guy that frequently comments "my 68 Mustang coupe had a very usable back seat, and that car was noticeably smaller than the current generation - what gives?".

I believe it or not I know more than one mid-aged guy with a Porsche 911 that was able to seal the deal because a 911 actually has a back seat to shuttle around kids. So lesson learned performance is important however long term livability and is king for these cars, anyone that says otherwise doesn't have kids and let's be honest most of us with money in our pockets have kids. Perhaps GM will figure out how to move Camaro's, I personally don't believe anyone that is objectively looking at a car as having to fulfill the role of daily transportation and ever has the possibility of more than two getting in the car can look at a Camaro and think "yes this'll work".

So my additions; go ahead and make a version of the S550 GT that has the GT350's suspension under it, also and make GT350's front end the standard for the platform - my only criticism of the Mustang is the prominence of the hood however nice it may be. With the S650 PLEASE maintain or even expand the rear seat leg room. I know the M4/911's are used as benchmarks performance wise pay attention to the rear leg room, being able to put kids in the back that have legs is a deal maker.

In all honesty as a previous die hard GM fan, there were two big factors in making my decision to order a Mustang. First MONEY! An extra $5K for 15 hp was not worth it, and while I loved the magnaride, the extra $2K was hard to swallow. The other reason, was my kids and while they might fit in the back of the Camaro now, they won't in 5 years. Overall Ford did a great job with the S550, but there's always room for improvement. Magnaride suspension would be a great addition, but as a standard feature. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

But the average mustang buyer probably doesn't care about them and doesn't want to pay for them.

The only advantage to making them standard is they would be easier to find on in-stock vehicles.

Maybe on the V6 or EB models, but a GT Premium owner would care... IMHO

I bet most (not all) GT premium buyers would prefer cheaper and easier to replace track package shocks. IMHO

Well... We're both entitled to our opinions. Unfortunately, neither of us get to make that decision. All we can do is add it to the "wish list" and hope that FORD reads these forums.

• Like 1

In all honesty as a previous die hard GM fan, there were two big factors in making my decision to order a Mustang. First MONEY! An extra $5K for 15 hp was not worth it, and while I loved the magnaride, the extra $2K was hard to swallow. The other reason, was my kids and while they might fit in the back of the Camaro now, they won't in 5 years. Overall Ford did a great job with the S550, but there's always room for improvement. Magnaride suspension would be a great addition, but as a standard feature. I wouldn't pay extra for it.

I pride myself and owe my success in life - and several NCAA bracket wins to being objective. I am Mustang fan, my brother and I both had a Mustang as a first car and whenever I see one I wished I had kept that '68!!!! However I can appreciate what GM has done with the Camaro, I like the sound of their 6.2L engine. So I have checked one out - sat in a 2016 and a 2015 yesterday (it was raining so they wouldn't let me take one out), and I do not believe my 7 year old son can sit in one. I am 5'11, with the driver seat in the most comfortable position there is perhaps 2" of room, I pushed the front seat as far forward as I was comfortable to make more room and there might be 4" of room between the back of the driver's seat and the back seat - probably closer to 3 & 1/2. 4" of clearance between the back of the driver's seat and the front of the back seat in my opinion is not doable - my son is 50" and growing like a weed, for his sister whom is 56" (she sits on the passenger side and will be able to sit in the front seat soon enough) s

its not even a question. Also the rear window is so high up that they would not be abel to see out at all - for my kids that would translate in to motion sickness very quickly.

For me the sills in the Camaro were not such a problem - yes they are high, however the interior is so tight you are right there - for me it's not an issue. I don't like the cave like quality of the interior. In the 2015 there is actually quite a bit of room, there was no question in my mind my son and daughter (9) could manage back there for short trips.

By comparison the S550 interior is as at least on editor has said - spacious as another has said "a very nice place to be". I have driven the 2015 Premium Mustang GT though I got in for the speed, I very quickly was distracted by how nice the interior was after I played some I set the cruise at 65 and just enjoyed the ride and despite what car magazines write. IMO this is the reality of buying a car, however you feel on the purchase day - 6 months or 2 years later your opinion is what matters. I know a guy that paid thousands extra to have the paddle shift option in an Acura and 2 years later we were driving to lunch and he actually - oh I forgot this car had the paddle shifters, I completely stopped using them.

So I'll re-iterate FoMoCo please don't follow the Camaro into converting the back seat into a shelf!!

Edited by meyeste

I pride myself and owe my success in life - and several NCAA bracket wins to being objective. I am Mustang fan, my brother and I both had a Mustang as a first car and whenever I see one I wished I had kept that '68!!!! However I can appreciate what GM has done with the Camaro, I like the sound of their 6.2L engine. So I have checked one out - sat in a 2016 and a 2015 yesterday (it was raining so they wouldn't let me take one out), and I do not believe my 7 year old son can sit in one. I am 5'11, with the driver seat in the most comfortable position there is perhaps 2" of room, I pushed the front seat as far forward as I was comfortable to make more room and there might be 4" of room between the back of the driver's seat and the back seat - probably closer to 3 & 1/2. 4" of clearance between the back of the driver's seat and the front of the back seat in my opinion is not doable - my son is 50" and growing like a weed, for his sister whom is 56" (she sits on the passenger side and will be able to sit in the front seat soon enough) s

its not even a question. Also the rear window is so high up that they would not be abel to see out at all - for my kids that would translate in to motion sickness very quickly.

Fortunately and unfortunately I don't have height issues, I'm only 5'5" and my kids seem to be blessed/cursed with my size (damn genetics). They'll fit nicely in the Mustang and snug in the Camaro. It's funny to think back to when I had my 2000 Trans Am, I used to cram my friends in to the back seats (which looked like booster seats) and no one complained. In the end, a good car is a good car, and I have always lived by that "bang for your buck" mentality. The Mustang came out on top for me, and having been in both, I don't regret my decision.

-mnblah