Hey decker got a ?

R3c8

Just heard that after the first of the year in the new national contract Fmla will be different, heard they will exhaust all time off coming to cover Fmla time off. That's federal law, and if I'm not mistaken it was passed for that purpose. So people could get time off without using all there time off. I've used it once when my mom had cancer, life happens sometimes and not in a good way.

Edited by R3c8

Just heard that after the first of the year in the new national contract Fmla will be different, heard they will exhaust all time off coming to cover Fmla time off. That's federal law, and if I'm not mistaken it was passed for that purpose. So people could get time off without using all there time off. I've used it once when my mom had cancer, life happens sometimes and not in a good way.

I was told at one of the town hall meetings that Ford wanted to do this but the Union neg. them out of it. They can make you take paid time off to cover FMLA. If you ever get paperwork for FMLA, it states that on the paper.

http://rapidlearninginstitute.com/hric/fmla-regulations-paid/

• Like 1

With FMLA being an "unpaid" excused absence this was more or less put into place to cover an employee for an absence after an employee had exhausted the "paid" time off generated through an employee's benefit package. This also was to assist employees that were not covered by benefits of paid time off. (along with other good reasons)

The law is applied very differently from facility to facility. But basically the law allows for employers to apply paid time off benefits prior to allowing for unpaid FMLA leaves. It's pretty much up the those making the decisions in LRO, HR and yes Union representation.

With this type of "I'll take care of you" situation in place at most if not all Ford facilities it's no wonder this, let's just say, got out of control.

Dark said it all, "Abused". At CAP we have district rep's coaching members in the finer arts of how to play the FMLA game. We have members taking time off then filling out the FMLA paperwork....after the fact.

But in a facility that has a large number of members being called back to work after 2 or 3 maximum, 30 day DLO's for absenteeism and the local publishing this as a great accomplishment what better way to look for another success than to teach the FMLA game.

The law has been pretty clear, it's up to the employer and/or the employee to make the determination of whether to use paid time off benefits or to go directly to FMLA coverage for unpaid time off. So as we all know, that is an open door for the company and the union to play let's make a deal.

R3c8, I think that if there is language in the contract specifically to reinforce the use of paid time off prior to FMLA unpaid time off that would be a good thing. But I'm sure this language if it's there won't stop the lets make a deal thing....

Edited by Decker
  • Like 1

With FMLA being an "unpaid" excused absence this was more or less put into place to cover an employee for an absence after an employee had exhausted the "paid" time off generated through an employee's benefit package. This also was to assist employees that were not covered by benefits of paid time off. (along with other good reasons)

The law is applied very differently from facility to facility. But basically the law allows for employers to apply paid time off benefits prior to allowing for unpaid FMLA leaves. It's pretty much up the those making the decisions in LRO, HR and yes Union representation.

With this type of "I'll take care of you" situation in place at most if not all Ford facilities it's no wonder this, let's just say, got out of control.

Dark said it all, "Abused". At CAP we have district rep's coaching members in the finer arts of how to play the FMLA game. We have members taking time off then filling out the FMLA paperwork....after the fact.

But in a facility that has a large number of members being called back to work after 2 or 3 maximum, 30 day DLO's for absenteeism and the local publishing this as a great accomplishment what better way to look for another success than to teach the FMLA game.

The law has been pretty clear, it's up to the employer and/or the employee to make the determination of whether to use paid time off benefits or to go directly to FMLA coverage for unpaid time off. So as we all know, that is an open door for the company and the union to play let's make a deal.

R3c8, I think that if there is language in the contract specifically to reinforce the use of paid time off prior to FMLA unpaid time off that would be a good thing. But I'm sure this language if it's there won't stop the lets make a deal thing....

. When I took Fmla a few years .ago,I couldn't use my personal or vacation time on those days. Was told this by labor at the time,if I wanted paid for those days I would have to put in for them like any other day off When you have someone fighting for there life,your not going to look if there is a opening on the calendar. As far as I'm concerned this is another concession on this new contract. Thanks for the response decker. Sorry for the delay in responding

It all boils down to codes.

If you requested "PB" personal business and were coded as such then you would have received the time off with pay. Along with no attendance occurrence because of the compensation you received,

If you requested "VAC" vacation and were coded as such then you would have received the time off with pay. Along with no attendance occurrence because of the compensation you received.

Both of these situations require a little more time and paper work (key board work) on the Labor Rep`s and/or Union Rep`s part. If you had excused time available and then was told you couldn`t use it then most likely a couple things could have taken place. One, the Union Rep couldn`t, didn`t want to or dosen`t know how to enforce the contract. Two, the Labor Rep was to busy, not aware or just unsure in the duties of the position.

One thing that was somewhat correct was, if you are coded "FMLA" (I`m not sure of the proper code for FMLA is...) then our East Indian Payroll Department under strict instructions will not authorize or initiate the compensation for the dates of the absents. FMLA is "excused" but not compensated time off the job.

So coming around the barn... you can be coded as PB or VAC or FD (family day not Fire Duty) and receive payed time off and no absenteeism occurrences. If the Labor Rep and/or Union Rep agree to use paid time off benefits. Now you can not be coded as FMLA and receive payed time off nor can they put a code of PB/FMLA to receive pay because that does not show up as an option in East India.

I wont even go into the 5 days a year "In the Book" shit.... I`m already running long on this post. (I`m working on it Fuzzy :))

Edited by Decker