Bloomberg: Elon Musk's Tesla Strategy: Win Big by Falling Short

Biker16

Elon Musk's Tesla Strategy: Win Big by Falling Short The Musk Doctrine: Never set a deadline you’re likely to keep

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2016-05-09/elon-musk-s-tesla-strategy-win-big-by-falling-short

Tesla Motors Inc.'s chief executive officer, Elon Musk, is known for making the future come early. Yet somehow he's always running behind schedule. Some would call this a failure of management, but it might just be a business strategy. Call it the Musk Doctrine.

It goes something like this: People do paradigm-shifting work only when they’re under tremendous pressure, so the key is to ensure deadlines are always impossible. This could help explain why Musk has never launched a product on time, yet no one seems able to keep up with him. It drives Wall Street nuts.

Musk, 44, tipped his hand on this winning-through-failure strategy last week when he set the launch date for Tesla's widely anticipated Model 3 electric car astonishingly early: July 1, 2017. But not really, Musk explained.

"Now, will we actually be able to achieve volume production on July 1 next year? Of course not," he said on Tesla's earnings call. "In order for us to be confident of achieving volume production of Model 3 by late 2017, we actually have to set a date of mid-2017 and really hold people's feet to the fire, internally and externally."

Calling His Own BluffsWhat makes Musk's deadline bluffs unusual is that he makes them public and lets investors hold him to account.

It's nothing more than a PR stunt and it doesn't actually work - quite the opposite in fact. If I know my deadline is impossible to meet I'm not going to bust my butt. Now if you give me a goal that's really hard but achievable then I am going to bust my butt to meet it. They're called stretch goals and there is usually additional compensation implied for reaching stretch goals. If your only measure of success is unobtainable then everyone is a failure.