2011 Ford Edge Blown Head Gasket?

doldonics

My stepdaughters edge blew the headgasket at 213K miles. At least I think it is the headgasket, there is milkshake in the valve cover and water is coming out a steady stream somewhere on the engine block right above the alternator. It is not coming out of the radiator. The car actually runs ok though. I was hoping that maybe some type of oil cooler blew, but I don't think this car has one (8th digit on VIN is C, it is a 3.5L). No smoke out tailpipe.

I am not familiar with this engine, anyone have any ideas? confused.gif

Much appreciated, George

Sounds like the water pump has failed. It's timing chain driven. There is a weep hole just above the AC compressor. The problem is the milky oil now. You have 213k miles. You are probably better to put an engine in it. Low mileage 3.5L are easy to find and cheap. Other option is to replace pump and necessary components, clean it up and hope for the best.

Thanks, that is good to know. I did not realize that it had an internal water pump, I guess the oil and water can mix at some point. I think replacing the engine is the better way to go.

Next question- As long as I am yanking out the engine, should I put in a transmission as well? It has 213K miles also... She bought another car already but I am going to fix this for her or my other daughter, the truck actually is in great shape. :) I think up to 2015 the engines will swap, not so sure about the trans (computers or coding)

Thanks again, George

That's a tough call. Because you racked the miles up so fast I suspect the transmission probably didn't shift a ton for 213k miles. However, the engine and trans come out together from below, so if you got a good low mileage unit for a good price then why not.

Edited by fordtech1

Yes, sorry, I did post this also in the fordedgeforum. I am a VW guy and I am never sure which forum to use, all the knowledgeable people seem end up in one forum....

I still need to figure out whether to replace the trans on this vehicle. Thanks, George

Yes, sorry, I did post this also in the fordedgeforum. I am a VW guy and I am never sure which forum to use, all the knowledgeable people seem end up in one forum....

I still need to figure out whether to replace the trans on this vehicle. Thanks, George

Personally for me, it would come down to price. If I found a engine and trans combo for a good price, then yes I would swap both. I know that 3.5l are easy to find and cheap because failure rate is low. Not sure about transmissions. From my experience those trans have low failure rate also but not sure the cost of a used one. It's a pretty easy drivetrain to drop out. Swapping complete units is the fastest and easiest way.