Car & Driver Pans the 2007 Navigator

Car & Driver October 2006 issue-

They run a comparison test of "TOP-RUNG-SPORT-UTES" the group includes the Audi Q7 4.2 Quattro, Cadillac Escalade AWD, Infiniti QX56 4x4, Lincoln Navigator 4x4, and the Mercedes-Benz GL450 4matic. Needless to say the NEW Lincoln came in 5th place out of 5. Since we can no longer post copywritten material, and there currently is no link to the test at C&D.com.... I will just quote some of there negative comments

" The instrument Cluster is Dearborn Baroque circa 1958."

"This truck is an extremist in the SUV world, offering big and bland in wholesale quantities."

" Performance is weakest of the group in all respects."

Their summation...

HIGHS

"The roof of course, and the lookout-tower view of the road; the power-up-and-down third row seat is good for a wow,to"

LOWS

"The singing-Tire quartet (in reference to the noise level of the new 20" Pirelli tires), Numb controls, crude interior textures, the 1958-all-over-again instrument cluster."

THE VERDICT

"What are they thinking?"

I have to agree with them on the instrument cluster, from the pictures they showed... I think the guages looks terrible. I'm also not a very big fan of the BLING grill, and the evolutionary styling... to me it still looks much to similar to the previous iterations of the Navigator.

It's bad enough that the redesigned Expedition and Navi are being released at a time when gas prices are eroding the HUGE UTE market tremendously, but to compound Fords problems they bring out a DUD like this. :titanic:

I really wonder how much longer the EXPI and NAVI will be around. I forsee another FREESTAR/MONTEREY debacle on Fords hands, newly redesigned models that are woefully outmatched by their competition; so much so that the models have to be killed much sooner than expected. Just My Two Cents>

BTW... C&D's Rankings

1) Mercedes

2) Audi

3) Infiniti

4) Cadillac

5) Lincoln

It is obvious they went with liking something different than the traditional big SUV ....

I never sat in the GL ... but I am surprised the Infinity scored well - never considerred that to be a good car ....

but look at it - the two most traditional SUV's in the pack are 3rd and 4th, while the unibody Mercedes, Unibody Audi, beat the three trucks that are holding up the traditional formula - take a true full size SUV and add luxuries to it.

I assume the big thing the Infinity had over the Caddy and Lincoln were the high tech controlls, and J as first letter of VIN

Igor

That interior is beautiful. Extreamly luxurious and looks so well crafted. Thats going to be one of the main attractions of the Navi. The styling is just big, brash and in your face. Thats the way a luxury SUV should be!!

Well Done Lincoln.

Rangey a typical in your face SUV, makes it very appealing...

Totally agree. The new Nav is worlds better looking than the one it replaces.

Edited by fllcobra

The Navigator C&D tested had the black interior with the ebony wood, which looks even better than the light wood IMO.

In the C&D group picture of the suvs tested, I think the Navigator looks the best.

The article judged the Navigtor to have a great 3rd row, second only to the MB for comfort.

The 0-60 time for the Lincoln was 8.3 secs on regular fuel. The 400hp Caddy did it in 6.7 on premium fuel. (A '07 Tahoe does 0-60 in 8.6 according to Edmunds)

The Lincoln was the quietest at idle, the others were more than twice as loud at idle.

The Lincoln got 16mpg, the Caddy 15mpg.

The Caddy has a wobbly chassis and awkward 55 pound 3rd row seats.

The article had a lot of harsh words for the Caddy

The Navigator C&D tested had the black interior with the ebony wood, which looks even better than the light wood IMO.

In the C&D group picture of the suvs tested, I think the Navigator looks the best.

The article judged the Navigtor to have a great 3rd row, second only to the MB for comfort.

The 0-60 time for the Lincoln was 8.3 secs on regular fuel. The 400hp Caddy did it in 6.7 on premium fuel. (A '07 Tahoe does 0-60 in 8.6 according to Edmunds)

The Lincoln was the quietest at idle, the others were more than twice as loud at idle.

The Lincoln got 16mpg, the Caddy 15mpg.

The Caddy has a wobbly chassis and awkward 55 pound 3rd row seats.

The article had a lot of harsh words for the Caddy

One other thing that the Lincoln will be offering in a few months is the EL version. The only other competion they have with length is the Caddy.

Certain parts ot the new Nav interior are better, but the biggest problem i see is with the binnacles which contribute a huge mass of plastic trim to the dash. The previous design more cleverly accentuates the trim materials instead of the dash padding.

The interior design is VERY trendy and fashionable, so it doesn't surprise me that emotions are all over the place on this one. The new interior is far too retro for my taste while the previous interior was more sumptiously modern and unique. The overall package is very disjointed from interior to Exterior. It's cleary they are trying a lot harder on the interior than the exterior, all of the design energy is swallowed up inside the car. That is perhaps a good strategy becuase we spend far more time looking at the interior than the exterior. However, I think people paying this much also want to be looked at and it will be hard to get attention in a vehicle that looks 10 years old from every angle except the front. The body design was never brilliant to start with and was only a fraction of an inch from looking like nothing more than an E-Series. That problem continues, especially with the extended length. I can't say the same for the GM Utes which are considerably more graceful and modern in design. The Navigator screams fading 1990's SUV bought on $10,000 discount. It's extremely stale and passe.

Edited by Edgey

I couldn't care less. Better to stand out then ot be another LExus look alike SUV.

Only the nose stands out, and not neccessarily in an attractive way. Otherwise, my point is that the Navigator does not stand out since everybody is accustomed to the existing Navi/Expy which have long lost their luster.

Otherwise, my point is that the Navigator does not stand out since everybody is accustomed to the existing Navi/Expy which have long lost their luster.

IMHO the navi redesign is just another in a long string of redesigned Ford vehicles that look much to similar to their predecessors..... The Lincoln Town Car, Ford Focus, Freestar, explorer, and the Jaguar XJ all come to mind.

I hope Ford management has finally started to figure out that people don't like their brand new vehicles to look the same as a 5 year old model. :doh: