2004 F-150 camber kit?

tcap for now

took my truck in for its 30k service today and once again complained about my general tires.they said they would check the suspension and alignment. they called and said i need a $185.00 camber adjustment kit in order to do the alignment. they cant do it without the kit. its off the same amount on both sides. and it needs to be done to start a warranty claim for my tires. i have never hit a curb or a major pothole. and have just under 30k on it.

my concern is if the truck was built with the camber off and its wearing only one of the tires uneven why is it my problem?

has anyone else had this problem?

update: after talking to the tech with "30 years experience" i asked this question: "if the camber is not adjustable and its off what moved to throw off the camber?" to which he repied "it can just get out of alignment." so i asked "whell if there is no room for adjustment then something else would have to bend to shift it right?" he said no but couldnt explain. so its time for a new dealer.

if rangers are off at tcap it usually means wrong cams on the upper control arm. which i cant see both sides having the wrong cams and getting out the door.

even if thats the case thanks norfolk for building me an excellent truck.

took my truck in for its 30k service today and once again complained about my general tires.they said they would check the suspension and alignment. they called and said i need a $185.00 camber adjustment kit in order to do the alignment. they cant do it without the kit. its off the same amount on both sides. and it needs to be done to start a warranty claim for my tires. i have never hit a curb or a major pothole. and have just under 30k on it.

my concern is if the truck was built with the camber off and its wearing only one of the tires uneven why is it my problem?

has anyone else had this problem?

update: after talking to the tech with "30 years experience" i asked this question: "if the camber is not adjustable and its off what moved to throw off the camber?" to which he repied "it can just get out of alignment." so i asked "whell if there is no room for adjustment then something else would have to bend to shift it right?" he said no but couldnt explain. so its time for a new dealer.

if rangers are off at tcap it usually means wrong cams on the upper control arm. which i cant see both sides having the wrong cams and getting out the door.

even if thats the case thanks norfolk for building me an excellent truck.

Why wouldn't all of this be covered under your original warranty??? :shrug:

Why wouldn't all of this be covered under your original warranty??? :shrug:

No alignments are only covered for 12/12 on the F150 per page 3-59 of the Warranty and Policy manual unless a part covered under the 3/36 caused the problem.If both sides are off you'll need 4 of the number 4L3Z-3B236-CA with a M.S.R.P. of $81.37 each to get it done.

Edited by Ron W.

well i took it to a local shop today and got a free alignment check. they said the alignment was flawless. he even stated he has rarely seen camber that was dead on center. so needless to say that dealer was full of it.

Hate to tell you this, but if your tires have been rotated correctly and are wearing unevenly, the alignment isn't 'flawless'. Most vehicles are 'in spec', but 'in spec' doesn't necessarily mean that it is set right. Most Rangers come off the transport 'in spec' but chew the bejeezus out of the tires. F-series aren't usually as bad though. What is wrong with your tires? How often do you rotate them?

Hate to tell you this, but if your tires have been rotated correctly and are wearing unevenly, the alignment isn't 'flawless'. Most vehicles are 'in spec', but 'in spec' doesn't necessarily mean that it is set right. Most Rangers come off the transport 'in spec' but chew the bejeezus out of the tires. F-series aren't usually as bad though. What is wrong with your tires? How often do you rotate them?

they have been rotated and balanced every 5k. by the dealer. they are wearing on the outside edge. feathering and cupping. after about 1k they feel out of balance. and the dimples in the sidewall are growing.

Just showed this thread to our alignment tech and his only 2 responces are "those tires are junk" and "it has to be an alignment problem". I haven't paid attention to it but i wonder if the new F150's dogtrac at all, that could cause the tires (when they're on the back) to wear on the outside.

well i took it to another dealer today. they confirmed the alignment was good. they feel the tires should be replaced but they couldn't get approval because the edges are at 6/32. they need to be at 5/32 to be replaced under warranty. the advisor was on the phone saying they will be at 5/32 in less than 5k why not just do it now but they didnt go for it. so he said come back at about 34-35k before the warranty is up and they should qualify then.

• 2 weeks later...

Most General brand tires are absolute garbage. They are cheap, which is why Ford uses them (along with Firestones).

One of the issues with pickup trucks is the alignment is set so that when LOADED the camber will be flat. The result is that when UNLOADED they will ride on the outside edges. The solution is to get a *good* alignment tech to set the alignment for least wear with the truck loaded normally (presumably empty).

• 5 weeks later...
They are cheap, which is why Ford uses them (along with Firestones).

Haven't used 'Stones in several years-courtesy of Mssr. Nasser. BTW, check most any manufacturer and you will see that unless it is a high performance vehicle or a premium brand, you will see that the tires are nearly always an entry level-or in your terms, cheap, tire.

Anyway you are right, I wouldn't hit a sick dog in the backside with a set of Generals! Have had good luck with Firestones, though!

Edited by Tiberius1701