Sync 3 Update

My Fusion has been a pretty stellar car so far. Sync 3 has worked pretty good and has been way better than MyFord Touch that I had previously. However, I noticed some glitches where my iphone would get disconnected. Music wouldn't show titles. Nothing major but enough to where I wanted to see if there was an upgrade. I was on version 2.0 and 2.3 was available.

I had upgraded MyFord Touch by myself and have been in IT for 20 years, shouldn't be a problem, right? Wrong! One of the features I noticed was WiFi upgrades so that is where I started. Followed the instruction for the Ford owners site. Didn't work. I was connected to my WiFi network but it seemed to time out. Well, I tried to download to USB. Well, the process is broken down into 4 or 5 parts on the Ford Owners site. I sent the request to download and got an email back saying it was ready to download. The email didn't contain a link of anything or attachment. I logged backed in and there was nothing to download. I noticed that I kept seeing an error on step 2, requesting the download. I used several browsers and finally after a few days of trying (during my vacation) I gave up.

Frustrated, I setup an appointment with my dealer to install it. I asked them how long it would take and they said 1-3 hours. I thought there was no way it would take 3 hours. I had read many folks had upgraded in 20-30 minutes. When I upgraded MyFord Touch it took 25 minutes (I know it's different) so 3 hours seemed a bit excessive. Well, I was right it didn't take 3 hours, IT TOOK 5. Are you kidding me?

I came in at 7:15 this morning and left at 12:30. Before I go off on the service department/dealership for wasting my time I want to make sure that this is abnormally wrong. From my perspective watching my car, they checked on my car once an hour. Whoever was working on the car didn't seem to have much urgency or didn't know what they were doing (just from my observation).The service rep was trying to tell me they send a bunch of logs back to Ford and Ford then sends them updates, which sounds absolutely wrong from a software perspective. Now, I hadn't used this dealer before other than an oil change and even that was through its QL. I doubt I will go back unless someone can provide me a reason it took that long.

Does anyone know the process from a dealer perspective or how long it should really take? I try to keep an even head until I know the facts, even when I know that it's likely I could be getting the run around. I also don't like to make a scene or get nasty with people, especially when they still have possession of my car. If I do find out it really should be an easy job then I will bring it to their attention. I will talk to the service manager and or owner of dealership, let him know what happened, why I won't come back, and why I won't recommend people to go there.

Hmm... I did a sync 3 upgrade on our MKX and it worked the same as the MFT updates. Downloaded to a USB in one step, uploaded it with no problems in about 20 minutes.

I’m trying to wait and see if it will do a wi-if update on its own but haven’t checked it lately.

It is a lot better than MFT but they still haven’t perfected the update process. And no map updates yet. Some sync 3 vehicles are 2.5 years old and no updates available.

When my car is in the garage, I have strong wifi but it will NOT automatically update like it should. When I have it scan for updates, the little circle just spins and nothing happens. I know there is an update available.

Jcartwright, I only have 2.0 and the music titles show just fine whether using radio or recorded music on a flashdrive. Under what circumstances are you NOT seeing song titles, artist, etc?

Everything from phone to voice commands seem to work perfectly with 2.0 but I know my system is not fully up-to-date. I guess I could do the manual update but I am not sure what would be gained.

When my car is in the garage, I have strong wifi but it will NOT automatically update like it should. When I have it scan for updates, the little circle just spins and nothing happens. I know there is an update available.

Jcartwright, I only have 2.0 and the music titles show just fine whether using radio or recorded music on a flashdrive. Under what circumstances are you NOT seeing song titles, artist, etc?

Everything from phone to voice commands seem to work perfectly with 2.0 but I know my system is not fully up-to-date. I guess I could do the manual update but I am not sure what would be gained.

Mine took about a month to update from 1.0 to 2.0 on my Focus over WiFi. I wish it would have stayed at 1.0. It worked better. Then a month or so when 2.3 wad released. Still wish it was at 1.0.

Be careful for what you wish for. You just might get it.

• Like 1

Yeah, I have strong wifi signal and it's connected to my network but it doesn't update and gives an some error message about not being able to update. 2.3 is the latest right now (at least for my Fusion). I've read people having success on Wifi but not many. I would switch to 2.3 if it's not too much trouble.

Well, I have an iphone 8 that I usually keep plugged in to charge. When I am playing music from my phone (actually mp3's not streamed) the main 8 inch screen will show the title. However, the in dash display to the right of my speedometer is blank showing 0 ( for length of song). It seems that has been fixed with the latest update. I also experienced a glitch (and still do) when I start using Waze on my phone. Plugged in it starts off not pushing the audio to the car (only phone speakers). It takes me to toggle back to another source and then it seems to fix itself. I can't wait for the Waze support that will be happening. Using Apple maps is ok when I am not in a rush but....I am always pressed for time. I am wondering when this will get rolled out?

Overall, I like the Sync 3 system a lot. As with any software interfacing with apps and your phone, there will be glitches.