Team Edison and Corktown

-- a move that was driven both by the automaker's ambitions to transform urban mobility and its employees' desire to work in an urban setting.

Marakby said "a good portion" of the employees who will work in Corktown already live in the greater downtown area.

The owner of a wine bar next door to The Factory is hoping that's the case.

"My only hope is that they're not the type of people who get in their car and go right back home to the suburbs," said David Armin-Parcells, owner of MotorCity Wine, which has operated a wine bar and shop at 1949 Michigan Ave. since 2013.

So my reading of this is this will employe people who don't really like driving to start with....interesting.

I never got the whole Urban thing anyways-I live in an area that is heavily developed in an area that has one of the highest population densities in the world...but the vast majority of the buildings are under 4 stories...we have no high rise buildings...yet. Tons of Full size pickups and SUVs too.

I guess Corktown is alot cheaper then Silicon Valley too...but the weather sucks too

Edited by silvrsvt

Corktown is the cheapest area in Detroit that can still be considered downtown

Used to be a big area for Irish immigrants so theres a lot of cool Irish pubs down there, then the Irish moved out and the Mexicans started moving that way a little bit so its now like 1/3 downtown, 1/3 Irish pubs and 1/3 and extension of Mexicantown.

Corktown is the cheapest area in Detroit that can still be considered downtown

Used to be a big area for Irish immigrants so theres a lot of cool Irish pubs down there, then the Irish moved out and the Mexicans started moving that way a little bit so its now like 1/3 downtown, 1/3 Irish pubs and 1/3 and extension of Mexicantown.

You forgot hipsters, lots of those around corktown.