GM to Make 'Significantly Lower Investments' in Sedans in North America

RadicalX

i'm sure that Toyota and Honda will make a fortune chasing nickles in front of the steam roller of change.

It's almost inevitable that Utilities will eventually gonbble up those car sales too, they're just the last bastions..

Meanwhile Ford and Gm refocus on products that people want and make more profit

could Ford be so lucky as to have all of it plants running three shifts post 2020?

I can see Toyota taking that route. I can also see Honda simply accepting a lower sales volume for the Accord and Civic, figuring that it will position those vehicles as the choice of people who want those particular cars, not the best deal. For a passenger car in 2018, the Civic offers a very wide selection of body styles and performance levels. Honda is apparently trying to position it as something more than a typical appliance car bought on solely on price.

The Toyota Corolla, meanwhile, is the 1970 Dodge Dart/Plymouth Valiant of the 21st century, while the Camry is on its way to becoming the 1995 Buick Century of the new era.

For a passenger car in 2018, the Civic offers a very wide selection of body styles and performance levels. Honda is apparently trying to position it as something more than a typical appliance car bought on solely on price.

Toyota is taking a similar approach with the 2019 Corolla. Corolla won't have a hot version like Civic Type R or Civic Si right away. But it will offer a lot of advanced features for the segment.

• 2 weeks later...

I will admit that I had always been a sedan buyer with my last true sedan being a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL....truly enjoyed that car. In 2014, I saw a Lincoln MKX that caught my eye, took it out for a spin and bought it...only complaint was that the MKX got lower mileage with it's V6 and heavier GVW but I enjoyed the luxury and size for the next four years and 4 months....She was well used and enjoyed, rolling up over 100K miles with ease and comfort. Traded her in for a 2017 MKC with a 2.3L Ecoboost motor and while it was an adjustment getting used to the smaller size (not by much, interior is designed to feel larger that it actually is, biggest loss is rear leg room but I don't ride back there, lol.) the increase in mileage is welcome.

So, here I am, enjoying my second SUV/CUV and thinking, I don't see me ever buying a sedan again....I am patiently awaiting the 2020 Bronco to see if a Ford could get me out of my Lincoln....love the luxury of it.

PS: When the girlfriend was shopping for a replacement for her 2010 Escape...we took a 2015 Escape out and while, yes, the MKC is based on the Escape...they are worlds apart. As an aside, she ended up with a Subaru Forester since she likes the whole "boxy SUV" styling...maybe she'll get a Bronco....we'll see...

It's a shame we'll probably never see a G-CLass Fighter from Lincoln based on the Bronco... that could be a pretty sweet ride.

2014-G-CLASS-SUV-GALLERY-003-GOE-D.jpg

• Like 1