6 generations of Ford Explorers: A history of the groundbreaking SUV

We bought a forest green 93 XLT 4 door auto (RWD) followed by a 97 with the SOHC 4.0L.  In 03 we got an Aviator with the DOHC 4.6L (RWD) before switching to an Edge in 08.

A few of us here know the tranny engineer that worked on the 5R55 5 speed automatic that subsequently made it's way to the Lincoln LS.  I always thought it was neat how they achieved 5 gears in a tranny with only 3 physical gears and one OD by engaging overdrive twice (1, 1+OD, 2, 3, 3+OD).  The 2-3 shift was never perfect because you had to coordinate two shifts at the same time.  The 97 was probably my favorite.

Considering a new Explorer when it's time to replace the MKX.  I'd like a bit more interior room and a hybrid would be a bonus.

2 hours ago, akirby said:

The 2-3 shift was never perfect because you had to coordinate two shifts at the same time.  The 97 was probably my favorite.

I had a '98 with the 5R55E and the classic 2-3 'shift flair'.  As soon as I figured out it wasn't a problem I just got used to it.  Many shops, including Ford Dealer where eager to sell me a new transmission, but I kept the original for the 12 years I owned the Truck.  A new valve body/solenoid pack at about 100,000 miles, with Amzoil trans fluid and it was good as brand new!  Wonder how many people left Ford because the shops sold them one or more new trans for that shift flare.  Loved that truck! 

The 2-3 shift flare is non-existent on my '08 5R55W.  It is replaced with shift to third that is a bit firmer than the other trans shifts. I presume they engineered it a bit further to mitigate complaints.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...