UAW Hooks up it's Brothers and Sisters

Habla Espanol

Just like everyone else I'm upset. They think they helped me, wrong. Looks like the buyout is the only option. With the union giving in left and right and the plans in Mexico to build and employ at least 36 -100 thousand workers. Folks there will only be a select few plants left that way ford can still say they are American. We dont have any power left. We can't strike, with the auto industry the way it is. It's now survival of the fittest plant versus plant. :finger: Just think what bargaining power will be left for the new contract? What will they take?? It's now all about the shareholders and their profits and we are interfering with that. They will say they need us to take even deeper cuts to save the company. Just remember they never asked us to take a cut in pay to save the plants that were cut. I know some people believe they can ride it out on hopes of getting a transfer or sit in the gen pool. But, where will you work? What is going to be left. Maybe the plants in Michigan. So before you make the decision on what to do look at the options and weigh the facts. 1.) Is there really any bargaining power left (2. What other sacrifices will be coming 3.) Will the shareholders be happy with this plan .4) How many jobs are going to be available once the buyouts are complete ( I have never been lucky at gambling) 5.) Do you have enough seniority to make the cut 6.) Are you willing to go through this again... I'm gonna take the buyout and move on I have had 15 years at NAP... Good luck to alll

Im taking the buyout as well. I only have 3 years in at NAP so my chances of getting a transfer are slim to none... plus I dont want to leave this area. I still have my GI Bill so im gonna take the $100k and go to ECPI which is what I wanted to do since I got out of the Army and now Ford has made it possible and put cash in my pocket. Im not upset at all. :bandance: Good luck to everyone else.

I feel bad about the plant closings. However, I don't understand why people are mad at the UAW. It's not the UAW's fault that Ford failed to design cars that the customers want to buy. None of us would have the wages we make and have the benefits we get if it wasn't for the UAW.

People are mad because they are not being paid enough money to leave one of the best paying blue collar jobs in the USA. Do you think the company would give you money to leave or retire if you weren't in the union? Did you really expect Ford to offer more money than the GM workers got?

When things go wrong EVERYONE blames the union. On profit sharing day (way back when...) many UAW members complained about union dues and they thank the company for the generous check. You got profit sharing because the union fought for it.

Ford Motor Company mismanaged their business, ignored employee morale and failed to listen to their customers. Place the blame where it is deserved. Ford failed us.

Just like everyone else I'm upset. They think they helped me, wrong. Looks like the buyout is the only option. With the union giving in left and right and the plans in Mexico to build and employ at least 36 -100 thousand workers. Folks there will only be a select few plants left that way ford can still say they are American. We dont have any power left. We can't strike, with the auto industry the way it is. It's now survival of the fittest plant versus plant. :finger: Just think what bargaining power will be left for the new contract? What will they take?? It's now all about the shareholders and their profits and we are interfering with that. They will say they need us to take even deeper cuts to save the company. Just remember they never asked us to take a cut in pay to save the plants that were cut. I know some people believe they can ride it out on hopes of getting a transfer or sit in the gen pool. But, where will you work? What is going to be left. Maybe the plants in Michigan. So before you make the decision on what to do look at the options and weigh the facts. 1.) Is there really any bargaining power left (2. What other sacrifices will be coming 3.) Will the shareholders be happy with this plan .4) How many jobs are going to be available once the buyouts are complete ( I have never been lucky at gambling) 5.) Do you have enough seniority to make the cut 6.) Are you willing to go through this again... I'm gonna take the buyout and move on I have had 15 years at NAP... Good luck to alll

If you want to know what happened to us, pick up a book called "End of the Line". Was recommended by someone on the board, tells the story of globalization and how it affects us, even has a little bit about Boeing. In any event, pay cut wouldn't have helped as the company lost the market share, probably won't be getting it back, if it does it will be a long way down the road. And just how are we to compete with Mexican/Korean/Chinese wages? And for those of us left, we will be taking a big hit and probably see a lot of our jobs outsourced. Sucks, bigtime. I probably will ride it out as I am still pretty young, just under fifty and I haven't wrapped my head around the idea of retirement at such a tender age. :lol: :lol: Something I will be working on, as I fully expect to be involuntarily retired in the not-too distant future.

I feel bad about the plant closings. However, I don't understand why people are mad at the UAW. It's not the UAW's fault that Ford failed to design cars that the customers want to buy. None of us would have the wages we make and have the benefits we get if it wasn't for the UAW.

People are mad because they are not being paid enough money to leave one of the best paying blue collar jobs in the USA. Do you think the company would give you money to leave or retire if you weren't in the union? Did you really expect Ford to offer more money than the GM workers got?

When things go wrong EVERYONE blames the union. On profit sharing day (way back when...) many UAW members complained about union dues and they thank the company for the generous check. You got profit sharing because the union fought for it.

Ford Motor Company mismanaged their business, ignored employee morale and failed to listen to their customers. Place the blame where it is deserved. Ford failed us.

:blah: :blah: :blah: :blah:

The UAW giveth & the UAW giveth away!

The UAW giveth & the UAW giveth away!

The last time I checked, the UAW wasn't running Ford Motor Company.

If it was up to them, we would all get a 1 box buyout, like they gave to numerous salary people at Ford and Visteon over the last few years.

Here's how the 1 box buyout works:

Your supervisor and a security guard walk up to you in your work area. The supervisor hands you a box. You have 15 minutes to gather your belongings and pack them in the box. Your supervisor and the security guard walk you to your car. They wave good bye to you.

The last time I checked, the UAW wasn't running Ford Motor Company.

If it was up to them, we would all get a 1 box buyout, like they gave to numerous salary people at Ford and Visteon over the last few years.

Here's how the 1 box buyout works:

Your supervisor and a security guard walk up to you in your work area. The supervisor hands you a box. You have 15 minutes to gather your belongings and pack them in the box. Your supervisor and the security guard walk you to your car. They wave good bye to you.

Magic,

Ford does hold blame, and lots of it, plain and simple.

But the union holds its fair share too.

1. When it was easy to do, what organization didn't even bother to sit in front of competitors buildings and get them in the fold? Was that Ford, or was it the UAW?

2. While Ford controls its own business for sure, who in the hierarchy of the union who read the statements 10yrs ago about product; or lack of, insured that development of CARS was put in to the contract? We all now realize the union is a business too you know. So the UAW did no better than Ford, now did they!!!!

3. Just 5, 6, or 7 years ago, the company was still making HUGE profits; although their future product portfolio was suspect. What organization that is supposed to be a business (or forced charity, depending on how you asess them) allowed Fusion to be made out of this country???? And now, what is the outcome of them not paying attention?

Here we all are Magic, and we belong to an organization called the U.A.W. which stands for United Auto Workers. I will agree with you that Fords management has been suspect for quite some time. But when a unions main business is protecting autoworkers, proven by just its name, you are seriously blowing smoke if you insist they have done anything remotely resembeling a stellar job.

You could make a case that they have gotten buyouts in these trying times, which I agree is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

But I contend that evil businessmen are just that----------------->greedy businessmen who look at profits..........period!!!!!

But the UAW?????????? They are supposed to be the foil to protect longevity of jobs............especially ones that are not going away, just being rerouted elsewhere in the economy.

Just like all union officials, you insist this TOTALLY Fords fault; or at least the largest percentage is. And of course, you sing the praises of what the UAW has done in this, our time of need. Ok, let me thank the UAW--------------->thank you very much for our buyouts, anyone who takes it will appreciate it long into the future.

But where do you even blame Toyoty, Honda, and the INABILITY of the UAW now, and loooooooong ago to get parity in the industry by unionizing them in your statement?

You do not, and from a business perspective, that is disengenuous since for the longest time, our competitors workforce woulda jumped on board if only we woulda tried.(15yrs ago) Now we look like fools of arrogance, and no buyout is gonna repay the jobs, safety of employment, or an industry that might disappear because the International was to busy not paying attention, cause they were trying to get some non-descript politician elected. (and for the most part, they have failed at that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You can spin it any way you like cause this is a free country buttttttttttttttttt------------->the UAW for the last 15 to 20yrs has let its workforce down through stupidity of in-action, and now the piper must be paid. Our oldsters and very young in the workforce thank them...........not to mention the middle seniority people who will remain, being looked down upon by the the outsourceees who will man the jobs for much less.

For all intensive purposes, the union has been dismantled because instead of giving a little when it coulda helped, they had to sell the farm to keep the shrinking numbers that will remain.

If that is a recipe for doing well when for years analysts have fortold this sir/ma am, then I have a piece of a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell ya!!!!!!!!!

For everyone in this system, I wish you well. May I suggest that you not listen to ANY organization thats claim to fame in the last 15yrs is total, and undeniable, failure.

Ideals in the workplace are a good thing!!!!!! But the method used to get them need to be changed. Even our political partys in Washington change their tune when they consistently face failure. How unfortunate that a union does not have the will to do the same thing, instead holding on to methods that have failed for years. That is what happens when instead of business people running the show, you have a bunch of politician wannabees in control. Not to mention, you also have people with that particular political bent attempting to tell you what an outstanding job they are doing through failure, cause not convincing you means they will lose power in the system.

It is obvious they would rather you/they perish, then change the system that is destroying you!!!!!!

Magic,

Ford does hold blame, and lots of it, plain and simple.

But the union holds its fair share too.

1. When it was easy to do, what organization didn't even bother to sit in front of competitors buildings and get them in the fold? Was that Ford, or was it the UAW?

2. While Ford controls its own business for sure, who in the hierarchy of the union who read the statements 10yrs ago about product; or lack of, insured that development of CARS was put in to the contract? We all now realize the union is a business too you know. So the UAW did no better than Ford, now did they!!!!

3. Just 5, 6, or 7 years ago, the company was still making HUGE profits; although their future product portfolio was suspect. What organization that is supposed to be a business (or forced charity, depending on how you asess them) allowed Fusion to be made out of this country???? And now, what is the outcome of them not paying attention?

Here we all are Magic, and we belong to an organization called the U.A.W. which stands for United Auto Workers. I will agree with you that Fords management has been suspect for quite some time. But when a unions main business is protecting autoworkers, proven by just its name, you are seriously blowing smoke if you insist they have done anything remotely resembeling a stellar job.

You could make a case that they have gotten buyouts in these trying times, which I agree is better than a sharp stick in the eye.

But I contend that evil businessmen are just that----------------->greedy businessmen who look at profits..........period!!!!!

But the UAW?????????? They are supposed to be the foil to protect longevity of jobs............especially ones that are not going away, just being rerouted elsewhere in the economy.

Just like all union officials, you insist this TOTALLY Fords fault; or at least the largest percentage is. And of course, you sing the praises of what the UAW has done in this, our time of need. Ok, let me thank the UAW--------------->thank you very much for our buyouts, anyone who takes it will appreciate it long into the future.

But where do you even blame Toyoty, Honda, and the INABILITY of the UAW now, and loooooooong ago to get parity in the industry by unionizing them in your statement?

You do not, and from a business perspective, that is disengenuous since for the longest time, our competitors workforce woulda jumped on board if only we woulda tried.(15yrs ago) Now we look like fools of arrogance, and no buyout is gonna repay the jobs, safety of employment, or an industry that might disappear because the International was to busy not paying attention, cause they were trying to get some non-descript politician elected. (and for the most part, they have failed at that too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!)

You can spin it any way you like cause this is a free country buttttttttttttttttt------------->the UAW for the last 15 to 20yrs has let its workforce down through stupidity of in-action, and now the piper must be paid. Our oldsters and very young in the workforce thank them...........not to mention the middle seniority people who will remain, being looked down upon by the the outsourceees who will man the jobs for much less.

For all intensive purposes, the union has been dismantled because instead of giving a little when it coulda helped, they had to sell the farm to keep the shrinking numbers that will remain.

If that is a recipe for doing well when for years analysts have fortold this sir/ma am, then I have a piece of a bridge in Brooklyn I will sell ya!!!!!!!!!

For everyone in this system, I wish you well. May I suggest that you not listen to ANY organization thats claim to fame in the last 15yrs is total, and undeniable, failure.

Ideals in the workplace are a good thing!!!!!! But the method used to get them need to be changed. Even our political partys in Washington change their tune when they consistently face failure. How unfortunate that a union does not have the will to do the same thing, instead holding on to methods that have failed for years. That is what happens when instead of business people running the show, you have a bunch of politician wannabees in control. Not to mention, you also have people with that particular political bent attempting to tell you what an outstanding job they are doing through failure, cause not convincing you means they will lose power in the system.

It is obvious they would rather you/they perish, then change the system that is destroying you!!!!!!

EXCELLENT post!!!

Imawhosure,

You are badly mistaken if you think the UAW has ANY say in the designs or marketing decisions Ford, GM or Chrysler makes.

The International has been working to organize workers at Toyota, Honda and others for years (before the plants even opened).

You are living in a dream world if you think ANY union can stop globalzation on their own. The UAW fought Ford on every decision to build vehicles outside of the USA.

You are a typical disgruntled union worker. You want to blame the union for everything that goes wrong.

You want to know why unions are weaker today than they were years ago? It's because of people like many that post here. They stand in the back pointing fingers and making excuses. YOU are the UAW. Blame yourself too next time you point your finger.

Anyone can bitch and moan. It's easy.

Then who's fault is it? The digruntled employee who comes to work everyday and does his/her job. Or the people paid to represent and protect the workers. Evidently you don't remember the union saying to back NAFTA back in the early 90's. Ok what about a strike?? I guess the loss of 100,000 + members isn't worth it. If not you tell me what is... Its obvious your job is not in danger. The fact of the matter is we were let down it's that simple. The organization that was suppose to protect us or help level the playing field let us down.. How will you compete against the future workers in third world countries... You my brother are suppose to stick up for us who are losing our jobs. But hey. You will be fine... Hey here is a good idea lets take the 60+ million the union took out for organizing and save the loyal members of this great union. So Blue Magic I ask what have you done to help your brothers and sisters. When you are in our shoes then you will understand.

Then who's fault is it? The digruntled employee who comes to work everyday and does his/her job. Or the people paid to represent and protect the workers. Evidently you don't remember the union saying to back NAFTA back in the early 90's. Ok what about a strike?? I guess the loss of 100,000 + members isn't worth it. If not you tell me what is... Its obvious your job is not in danger. The fact of the matter is we were let down it's that simple. The organization that was suppose to protect us or help level the playing field let us down.. How will you compete against the future workers in third world countries... You my brother are suppose to stick up for us who are losing our jobs. But hey. You will be fine... Hey here is a good idea lets take the 60+ million the union took out for organizing and save the loyal members of this great union. So Blue Magic I ask what have you done to help your brothers and sisters. When you are in our shoes then you will understand.

No sense trying to argue with the guy, he brainwashed. The ole high and mighty union NEVER does anything wrong!!! It's all everybody else's fault!!! :blah:

I am involved with my local union. I volunteer my time to our CAP and Community Service Committees. I spend time doing UAW community service projects and I have been involved in door to door election campaigns to support candidates that support labor. I also hold an elected position in the union. I'm a 10 year seniority employee. I have been actively involved for the past 6 years. I'm working to make a difference. I appreciate the great job I have at Ford Motor Company and I know why I have it - the UAW.

What are you doing to help your UAW brothers and sisters? Running the UAW into the ground on a website visited by the media and Ford salary people isn't helping them.

Edited by BlueMagic_1

No sense trying to argue with the guy, he brainwashed. The ole high and mighty union NEVER does anything wrong!!! It's all everybody else's fault!!! :blah:

You are the one that is brainwashed.

I never said the UAW never does anything wrong. I said you could do something about it. Get involved. Get rid of the weak union reps at your location. Change must start at the bottom. Anyone can bitch and moan. It takes thought and effort to get off your ass and get in the fight.

Seriously, NO ONE feels sorry for people that complain that they aren't getting enough money to quit a high paying job.

I agree that the union has problems. Too many low seniority employees feel that they are owed everything without getting in the fight. It doesn't work that way.

Keep crying, it seems to be working well for you. At least you have company here.

Edited by BlueMagic_1

Imawhosure,

You are badly mistaken if you think the UAW has ANY say in the designs or marketing decisions Ford, GM or Chrysler makes.

The International has been working to organize workers at Toyota, Honda and others for years (before the plants even opened).

You are living in a dream world if you think ANY union can stop globalzation on their own. The UAW fought Ford on every decision to build vehicles outside of the USA.

You are a typical disgruntled union worker. You want to blame the union for everything that goes wrong.

You want to know why unions are weaker today than they were years ago? It's because of people like many that post here. They stand in the back pointing fingers and making excuses. YOU are the UAW. Blame yourself too next time you point your finger.

Anyone can bitch and moan. It's easy.

Magic,

lol, your statement is well taken, but totally in error.

You see, 20 yrs ago anyone who spoke up like me was censured. It was the UAW way, or the highway.

Now you want people to get involved and fix it!!!!!! Guess what, now it is to late.

Your statement of explaining why unions are weaker today is ludicrous.

The reason they are weaker is because they DIDN'T pay attention, not many people like myself and other posters who proclaimed we were heading for disaster were allowed to even voice our opinion.......and when we tried, we were unceremoniously shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, in typical union fashion, you attempt to reverse the blame to us; we who were not allowed any input because we were "thinking politically incorrectly," or because we sounded conservative.

LOLOLOLOLOL, we didn't run it, but somehow it is our fault. I luv the logic. Typical nonsense of attempting to explain away total, abject, failure as an organization. Find a bogeyman, and blame them/him/her.

I am not a typical disgruntled autoworker, I am a very happy one for myself. I am more concerned that those I will soon leave behind do not make the same mistakes of the past, and listen to people LIKE GUESS WHO!!!!!!!

And then, you insist that the UAW has nothing to do with design, etc of what vehicles the Big 2 1/2 build or where they build them. That is your contention!!!!!!!! Is it really!!!!!!!

The Big 2 1/2 could be forced by UNION FINANCING to build anything we so desire. In other words-------->coulda cut a deal to make less company wide to FORCE a type of vehicle, then upped the profitsharing on that particular vehicle if it was successful.

But Blue, that woulda taken business minded people listening to analysts, instead a bunch of political wannabees trying to circumvent the system by getting their boys/girls elected, now wouldn't it. (with no reasonable back up plan if the didn't succeed, which they didn't, as usual)

And what exactly did you highlight in your resume as a claim to fame?????????? Getting politicians elected that support labor?????????(exactly who that is remains to be seen, lololol, but what the heck!)

Now we know why you don't get it.

It is not your time is not appreciated.

It is not that your efforts are worthless.

Rather, these are the old ways that failed us!!!!

You seem rather intelligent, stand back and see what these efforts by other people like yourself have done over the last 20 yrs, then ask yourself if it is not time for an adjustment in tactics, and a different kind of people to execute them!!!!!!!

Also, do not think I am criticizing you personally, for I do not even know you. Rather, I think it is great that younger people are involved. I only hope they look at what the dogma spewed has given us for a result, THINK and THINK MORE, then redefine through new ways of thinking, how to make our union; and company, prosper.

Edited by Imawhosure

Magic,

lol, your statement is well taken, but totally in error.

You see, 20 yrs ago anyone who spoke up like me was censured. It was the UAW way, or the highway.

Now you want people to get involved and fix it!!!!!! Guess what, now it is to late.

Your statement of explaining why unions are weaker today is ludicrous.

The reason they are weaker is because they DIDN'T pay attention, not many people like myself and other posters who proclaimed we were heading for disaster were allowed to even voice our opinion.......and when we tried, we were unceremoniously shut up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Of course, in typical union fashion, you attempt to reverse the blame to us; we who were not allowed any input because we were "thinking politically incorrectly," or because we sounded conservative.

LOLOLOLOLOL, we didn't run it, but somehow it is our fault. I luv the logic. Typical nonsense of attempting to explain away total, abject, failure as an organization. Find a bogeyman, and blame them/him/her.

I am not a typical disgruntled autoworker, I am a very happy one for myself. I am more concerned that those I will soon leave behind do not make the same mistakes of the past, and listen to people LIKE GUESS WHO!!!!!!!

And then, you insist that the UAW has nothing to do with design, etc of what vehicles the Big 2 1/2 build or where they build them. That is your contention!!!!!!!! Is it really!!!!!!!

The Big 2 1/2 could be forced by UNION FINANCING to build anything we so desire. In other words-------->coulda cut a deal to make less company wide to FORCE a type of vehicle, then upped the profitsharing on that particular vehicle if it was successful.

But Blue, that woulda taken business minded people listening to analysts, instead a bunch of political wannabees trying to circumvent the system by getting their boys/girls elected, now wouldn't it. (with no reasonable back up plan if the didn't succeed, which they didn't, as usual)

And what exactly did you highlight in your resume as a claim to fame?????????? Getting politicians elected that support labor?????????(exactly who that is remains to be seen, lololol, but what the heck!)

Now we know why you don't get it.

It is not your time is not appreciated.

It is not that your efforts are worthless.

Rather, these are the old ways that failed us!!!!

You seem rather intelligent, stand back and see what these efforts by other people like yourself have done over the last 20 yrs, then ask yourself if it is not time for an adjustment in tactics, and a different kind of people to execute them!!!!!!!

Also, do not think I am criticizing you personally, for I do not even know you. Rather, I think it is great that younger people are involved. I only hope they look at what the dogma spewed has given us for a result, THINK and THINK MORE, then redefine through new ways of thinking, how to make our union; and company, prosper.

I didn't make any "claims to fame" as you suggest. I don't think I'm any better than anyone else in the UAW. I was asked what I was doing to help the union membership. I answered. I am active in the CAP program and support candidates that support working families. We do have people in office that fight for us in Michigan. Unfortunately, they are in the minority. I also mentioned that I do community service work. We work hard to help those in need in our community and we work to improve our community. It serves 2 purposes: it helps the community and improves the UAW's image in our community. I don't appreciate your LOLOLOLOL crap regarding my volunteer work with the UAW. I am also a full time elected union rep. I was ASKED what I was doing- I answered. I'm not bragging. I asked the same question back to everyone here (no one answered).

Your company wide concession in pay (for possible future profit sharing) to have a say in a vehicle design is an interesting concept, but I seroiusly doubt the membership would have voted for a pay cut in order to gamble on the company's ability to carry out a union designed vehicle successfully. You are talking about the same management and engineering people that screwed up the Taurus, Thunderbird and Escort (to name a few). Most Ford designs start off great on paper.

I appreciate your compliments (even the back-handed ones) and respect your opinions. I don't take issue with you. I hear similiar thoughts from our membership on a daily basis. You are not alone. Many high seniority people gave up trying years ago at my plant too.

Many of these high seniority employees do their best to discourage the lower seniority employees from getting involved with the union. They have a lot of influence over the lower seniority people. We work hard to get all of our members involved, but it gets discouraging when high seniority people work against us. The key is to keep working at it.

It's not in my nature to give up without a fight. I am very outspoken. I would have never been elected in the old UAW (as mentioned earlier, I have 10 years with Ford). I don't always agree with the International UAW. I focus on changing the things I can change. The international is not dealing with our plant everyday - we are.

We constantly offer our opinions on business decisions the company makes at our location. Sometimes they listen, sometimes they don't. Article 1 Section 1 of the CBA gives Ford Motor Company the right to manage their business within the guidelines of our contract. It doesn't stop us from making our opinions known. We fight with them on a daily basis. You know what the funny thing is? We usually argue that their business decisons are not in the best interest of Ford Motor Company ($$$) or in the best interest of our membership. Most people here are well aware that Ford middle management tends to spend $10,000.00 to save a $100.00. Today the union has two major jobs: protecting the members' contractual rights and policing the bad business decisions made by the company. We need our members working with us, not against us. Their input, ideas and experience make our local union leadership stronger and far more effective. They give us ammo when we go to battle with the company.

I know it sounds silly to many, but I believe there is power in solidarity. Every member has a voice. The membership IS the union. Unfortunately, many UAW members don't believe it. They lost faith in the union (I blame the newspapers and other media outlets for most of it, but that's another issue all together). We (the local union leadership) are doing everything in our power to help restore faith in the union at our plant.

What's the answer? We need a revolution in the UAW. The lower seniority members need to take control of the UAW. We need a new approach to deal with the new problems facing the auto industry. We need new people in there to get it done. The old guard is stuck in the past. I firmly believe that the revolution must start on the plant floor and work it's way to Solidarity House. We still have 500,000+ members. Sure it's the fewest number of UAW members since 1942, but it's still an army of people. It's time to look to the future and stop living in the past. I would rather go down fighting than lay down in defeat. The auto industry changed and it will continue to change. The UAW must change to.

Sorry if my beliefs offend anyone here. It's not "brainwashing". It's who I am and what I believe. I'm living it to the best of my abilities every day.

Edited by BlueMagic_1

Well Blue,

Good for you!!!!! Excellent post, well thought out, and explained perfectly not only the problems, but how hard it is to extract a solution from Ford..........even when you are absolutely correct!!!!!

Yes, I am high seniority, but never do I suggest that young people do not get involved. Actually, quite the oppsote is true, because usually younger people are more militant, and won't put up with the bulls*** that some union rep is giving them just to placate.

I was honestly telling you the truth when I suggested that 20yrs ago, anything I said now woulda had me whipped, tires slashed, car overturned, etc, etc. This is one of the reasons the UAW is in such a mess----->not because I; or people who think like me are geniues, but rather because things must evolve and not stay stagnant in order to prosper. If an organization wants no input, just continues on its merry way without even considering changes for the better, then we must assume they are perfect, and no changes are needed since they are highly successful.

The UAW by its own reports, and reports by others has not been for at least 20yrs!!!!!!

I am assuming you will be staying at CAP; and of this writing I believe we actually have a very decent union..........locally!!!!!! How unfortunate it is that these people were not in place even 10yrs ago, things today may have well been different.

Please do not misconstrue my objections to the UAW as not believing in many of the goals they are attempting, and have always attempted to achieve. Rather, my objections are mainly to their failed methods which if taken using mathematics to gauge success, you would prove them laughable.

This is where people like YOU come in Blue!!!!!! Think, and re-think the outcomes of their tactics, and rework them to modern day standards.

As Ford has taught us so eloquently----------------->measure, define, correct and sustain!!!!!! This method used in this instance will prove out their failure due to changing NOTHING but the people who ran the silly thing using ancient ideas.

Use BUSINESS tactics to improve our brothers and sisters lot in life, and you will succeed wonderfully at your stated goal--------------->protection of the UAW and its members.

Good luck to you!!!! I shall look back to my former plant to see how you and the rest of our newer leaders are doing. Since they would never allow us before to try new ideas, you have a lot of hard elbow grease in front of you.

Godspeed, and don't do what we did way back when, and shut up when you know damn well you are right cause YOU ARE.........PAYING........ATTENTION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Though the plant closings are Ford's decision alone; we CANNOT place ALL blame on Ford alone. It has been brewing for years. Years of problems behind Fords doors and problems between Ford/UAW. Times changed and both sides took TOO long to address changes needed. All that Ford and the UAW are about to loose does not happen over night, by the decisions of one side. Niether party met 50/50 in a manner that would benefit all in the long run. Ford wanted to be the "top gun" and UAW wanted it also. And I know that to some this will not sit well; but the UAW spent way too much time fighting for the wrong causes, wrong type of worker etc. They forgot that they were to represent the WORKER (one who comes to work & does his/her job), instead they spent sooo much time fighting, and going up against thier plants mgmt. to "plead" that "worker's" case that they lost site of what really needed addressed. Could any of this, had it not taken place, changed the present? Not sure. But one thing is too many higher ups in UAW & Ford were not focused on the changes needed for the future. It didn't & doesn't matter how the UAW fought years ago, the fight now is not the same, it is not about the "Big Three" now. New "players" changed the way to win the game. I hope that all affected by the latest decisions, are strong and have faith that all will work out; maybe in a different way than planned, but all will survive!