POLL: What's your seniority at FoMoCo.?

Ktp1989

How much time do you have with the company?  

428 members have voted

1. 1. Seniority with FoMoCo

• Less than 5 years
    • 5-10
    • 10-15
    • 15-20
    • 20-25
    • 25-30
    • 30+

I am being honest -- I have chosen not to stick around for a transfer which, because my plant is closing, I would eligible for. I have weighed the transfer option and everything moving involves next to the buyout option. Being as the contract is up Sept 07, and it has been said all along our wage will be reduced among other things, it's not worth it and I am taking the buyout.

I do apologize for not typing a lengthy explanation to you as I didn't understand you needed that. I figured your common sense could put everything else together. Especially since TCAP is in my profile.

Simple questions, get simple answers.

No need to get testy. All I was saying that the real reason you are taking the buyout was so you didn't have to move your family. I respect that decision because it was a hard one to make, but don't try and pass it off because you believe we are going to take a pay cut next contract. I simply can't believe that a person would make a life changing decision on something that is hearsay, rumor, and speculation on these forums. I believe you have to much intelligence to make a decision based on this. The real reason you are taking a boyout is you don't want to move your family and I highly respect that. Didn't mean anything else by my comments. If I offended I sorry.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No need to get testy. All I was saying that the real reason you are taking the buyout was so you didn't have to move your family. I respect that decision because it was a hard one to make, but don't try and pass it off because you believe we are going to take a pay cut next contract. I simply can't believe that a person would make a life changing decision on something that is hearsay, rumor, and speculation on these forums. I believe you have to much intelligence to make a decision based on this. The real reason you are taking a boyout is you don't want to move your family and I highly respect that. Didn't mean anything else by my comments. If I offended I sorry.

Isn't there a loophole to take the transfer money and retire? Or is it more to just take the buyout?

Isn't there a loophole to take the transfer money and retire? Or is it more to just take the buyout?

[/quote

The transfer money is passed out over 2 years. 30 days after you get to the new plant you get 10 grand, then after 1 year you get 15 and then after 2 years you get 20.

7 years at KTP, have no idea what will happen, just decided to take the gamble, I started over 7 years ago after losing a 17 year job, 43 yearsold and don't want to start again, so I've decided to postpone the starting over until they kick me out

I have 8 years at SHV transmission. I have no idea what to do. I may get bumped out when Batavia closes (we have the same local). If enough retire I'll be safe till they close us down in 2011. I am already going to school so if I take the buyout that is what I'll do.

Little over 7 years at KTP. I am going to stay put and try to ride it out. Right now KTP's future looks fairly stable with all of the rumors of a high order bank coming and possibly another product to make the plant full capacity. I would hate to give up a good job and find out later that I was wrong. :shrug: Good luck to everyone no matter what decision you make.

see ? it's bullshit like that(37 years and going for 400) why i'm LEAVING!...going to finish off my degree, and never look back

thing is, these guys better be prepared to do the work another 40.....

IF ford doesn't go BANKRUPT!

AMEN!!!

For months I have been hearing, and thinking about a buyout. After today, I'm taking the buyout and looking for a better job that yes, it may be a less $ an hr. job, but I'm going to make damn sure it has more stability than FoMoCo. I don't regret working for Ford, it was an opportunity of a lifetime, but I quit a job of almost 15 years, to work here. And I only got to get 2 years in at Batavia Transmission, and now this.

Good luck to all, and May The Force Be With You

see ? it's bullshit like that(37 years and going for 400) why i'm LEAVING!...going to finish off my degree, and never look back

I wanted to leave at 30 yrs. but life changes, with childen and grandchildren needing help, kept me working. 20 years on the line and 17 in the trades at 55 years of age and a plant that isn't closing prompted my decision. My son has 11 years and he's seriously considering the education buyout. :doh:

Postscript!!!

After more investigation, I've decided it's time to move on. There are other business opportunities available to me and I'll never get out of debt working for Ford. Although our plant hasn't negotiated the work rule changes (i.e. The Rouge), I anticipate 4 -10 hr. shifts for production and 5 - 8 hr. shifts for the trades. During our 3 week shutdown beginning 10-16, we are reducing line speeds from 68jph to 50 jph.

Edited by Xerxes12

It amazes me that the twit-minded jerks feel they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo entitled but those with 30+ years should step out of the way to let them live their life. How very self-centered you are! Would you feel that way about your parents? When you do walk the road of life that many of us had to take, long-term layoffs, strikes and transfers, will you be so saintly to walk away from your 30+ years of seniority just because you don't want to upset the entitled brats that rant? You have 15+years and you are so pissed you are going to hurt us by your LEAVING!? Oh, please....LEAVE!!!! I hope you do finish your degree and never look back. Maybe life on the outside will teach you a few lessons you obviously need to learn. I bet you will be racing back to Ford when you get the phone call. Make sure they have your current number. I'll keep an extra pair of gloves handy for you while I work on my next 40.

I wanted to leave at 30 yrs. but life changes, with childen and grandchildren needing help, kept me working. 20 years on the line and 17 in the trades at 55 years of age and a plant that isn't closing prompted my decision. My son has 11 years and he's seriously considering the education buyout. :doh:

Hey Xerxes12, no one plans on working forever, but things changes and you do what you gotta do. No one should tell anyone when they should leave and you don't have to explain anything to anyone. You are your own man and hopefully we all can make our own decision when we get our 30 in one day. 55 is real young if your not ready. I get so tired of all these chumps trying to run out the seniority. These guys earned it, let them make their own decisions. Good luck to you.

Edited by Ktp1989

It amazes me that the twit-minded jerks feel they are soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo entitled but those with 30+ years should step out of the way to let them live their life. How very self-centered you are! Would you feel that way about your parents? When you do walk the road of life that many of us had to take, long-term layoffs, strikes and transfers, will you be so saintly to walk away from your 30+ years of seniority just because you don't want to upset the entitled brats that rant? You have 15+years and you are so pissed you are going to hurt us by your LEAVING!? Oh, please....LEAVE!!!! I hope you do finish your degree and never look back. Maybe life on the outside will teach you a few lessons you obviously need to learn. I bet you will be racing back to Ford when you get the phone call. Make sure they have your current number. I'll keep an extra pair of gloves handy for you while I work on my next 40.

Thanks, picker!

Hey Xerxes12, no one plans on working forever, but things changes and you do what you gotta do. No one should tell anyone when they should leave and you don't have to explain anything to anyone. You are your own man and hopefully we all can make our own decision when we get our 30 in one day. 55 is real young if your not ready. I get so tired of all these chumps trying to run out the seniority. These guys earned it, let them make their own decisions. Good luck to you.

Thanks Ktp1989!

20 yrs @ Indianapolis. Hope to land at KTP or CAP.

Sorry Pumpmaster, I replied to your post under Pipefitter's post. Here at CAP there doesn't seem to be a need for skilled tradesmen. We used to do a ton of projects in house but they've been slowly chipping away at our ability to do big projects. They would rather outsource and have us match the numbers. Of course our numbers are dwindling and the equipment is breaking ( shears, breaks , etc. ) and not being replaced or repaired. The majority of salaried people are either unwilling or unable to properly bid on anything. They would rather bring in outside people for a short period and have us fix their :censored: This way they can shift the blame. Fitters are only doing breakdown work and occasional small projects. With the new agreements Ford wants, they will probably try and have production workers swapping out sealer and mastic.