Ford CEO's Chief o Staff resigns

Nothing unusual. I would expect Mulally to put his own Chief of Staff in rather than keep Bill's choice. Chief of Staff is usually a position that requires great trust and a close relationship. It is interesting that Hamp is Bill's brother-in-law.

As usual, Lemon's post in inane and off the mark.

For those of you playing at home (Lemon, Otis)

Inane: Adj 1. lacking sense or ideas; silly 2. empty or void Syn. pointless, foolish.

Edited by Mark B. Morrow

Nothing unusual. I would expect Mulally to put his own Chief of Staff in rather than keep Bill's choice. Chief of Staff is usually a position that requires great trust and a close relationship. It is interesting that Hamp is Bill's brother-in-law.

As usual, Lemon's post in inane and off the mark.

For those of you playing at home (Lemon, Otis)

Inane: Adj 1. lacking sense or ideas; silly 2. empty or void Syn. pointless, foolish.

Yes - I expected this too - besides the fact that he was a cronie, who was only promoted (from heading the FOMoCo musem) because he is married to a Ford.

the counting BTW goes with the announcent, that they will eliminate 6 high level executive positions - without replacement - with Stevens, Czuzack (Sp?), and Wagner, Hamp makes #4 of the 6 announced.

Igor

Well, is not Ford a family company?

If someone gets hired it's nepotism [Ford], if a family member sells and goes on thier own, they are 'abandoing tradition' [Marshall Fields]

I don't know if the guy was qualified to be Chief of Staff or not. Apparently Bill Ford thought he was and put him in that position. Mulally has to have someone he trusts and can work with. It is a matter of personal style to some extent. Execs use their Chiefs of Staff in different ways. Some are confidants others probably just gatekeepers.

It will be interesting to see who Mulally puts in place. Maybe another ex-Boeing person?

"Maybe another ex-Boeing person?"

That might be necessary, depending on the resistance of the structure to change.

his position will not be replaced... but there were rumbles that Mulally might be followed by some othe rBoeing execs ...

Igor

Well, in some ways, it might be a good thing to have a few more airplane guys there.

Remember, Ford built thousands of B-24's at Willow Run. Prior to that, the Ford Tri-Motor, which played a big part in the 20's in bringing avaiation to the world. So, airplane guys aren't that preposterous.

If, as and when Ford returns to good times, how about Ford designing and building a 21st century light aircraft for its Lincoln/PAG consumers? Fords can have wings as well as wheels, history says so.

Well, in some ways, it might be a good thing to have a few more airplane guys there.

Remember, Ford built thousands of B-24's at Willow Run. Prior to that, the Ford Tri-Motor, which played a big part in the 20's in bringing avaiation to the world. So, airplane guys aren't that preposterous.

If, as and when Ford returns to good times, how about Ford designing and building a 21st century light aircraft for its Lincoln/PAG consumers? Fords can have wings as well as wheels, history says so.

The original "Whiz Kids" weren't car guys. They were military production guys. That what was needed to clean up old Henry's mess. Henry II was smart enough to let them remake the company and save it.

I highly recommend "Wheels for the World" by Douglas brinkley for anyone who hasn't read it. It ia a very well researched and written history of Ford Motor Company and the Ford family.

• 2 weeks later...
I highly recommend "Wheels for the World" by Douglas brinkley for anyone who hasn't read it. It ia a very well researched and written history of Ford Motor Company and the Ford family.

That book is at my local library and I've been meaning to check it out - thanks for the short review, now I know I'll pick it up sooner than later.