blksn8k2

Doing some updates to my '75

10 minutes ago, blksn8k2 said:

Fuzzy I have to believe modern day body tolerances and assembly equipment and techniques are vastly improved over what they were 50 years ago but it must still be a tedious job.

It does help that the fenders go on after the doors but I still found it to be a PITA. 

The new door hinges for the driver side came yesterday. After literally hours of adjusting and adding and subtracting shims, etc. I finally settled on this. The gaps are pretty uniform. Not perfect but okay. Both fenders have been moved back by about 3/16" which really helped. One of the issues that I really struggled with was getting the door to latch properly and not drop when opened while still maintaining all the gaps.

I'm still waiting on the new passenger side door hinges plus some other hardware. After that door is done next up will be the alignment, or should I say realignment, of the hood.

IMG_4113.jpg

23 hours ago, fuzzymoomoo said:

Now imagine fitting a door on an assembly line in 90 seconds or less. I hated that job and traded it to someone else every time it came around in the rotation until they decided it was a better idea to just have 1 person doing it all the time. 

I can imagine, not much fun.  I’m sympathetic to the guy installing them knowing the challenge.  

50 minutes ago, tbone said:

I can imagine, not much fun.  I’m sympathetic to the guy installing them knowing the challenge.  

I hung doors for almost 2 years (fit and door hang are part of the same team). I'll take hanging doors any day of the week over Fit. I'll glad I moved on from that line though, it's probably the worst team in body shop in terms of job difficulty. 

I received the new passenger side door hinges and installed them yesterday.

I also received and installed a windshield wiper motor relocation bracket which is necessary when using a soft top since the new top is much lower than the old steel top.

The hood looks like getting it adjusted could be a bit of a nightmare.

To start with that sucker is heavy which makes moving it around that much more difficult. And it's not like a normal vehicle where there is typically a separate cowl panel which includes a grilled air intake opening for the heating and ventilation system. On the Bronco there are two small openings on the back corners of the hood for that purpose which means the hood is also longer and much heavier than on a "normal" vehicle. The hood hinges are odd as well. There are two short pieces of "piano" hinge each about 4" long and they attach to the body at the base of the windshield. Kinda like the door on your lawn mower shed.

Anyway, there has always been a slight interference near the front where the hood and passenger fender meet. To compensate, someone added more shims to the hood hinge on that side which cocks the hood to the left at the front so that it sort of clears the passenger side fender. Now that I have moved both fenders back to close the gaps with the doors the hood needs to move back about the same distance. I'm hoping I can remove enough shims from the hood hinges and maybe push the entire front clip sideways at the front to get everything back to "square". Fingers crossed.

I also did some damage repair on the tailgate. Someone either backed into something with the tailgate down or a tree or something fell on it because it was dented. It's weird though because there was a dent near the top on the outside and inside faces but not on the top edge. There was about a half inch of bondo on the outside where someone tried to fill that dent. It actually looked fine except that rust had either started or was always there under the bondo and it had started to crack. After removing all the old mud and rust I used a slide hammer to pop the dent out as best I could and then applied some fiberglass reinforced bondo. I suppose the right way to fix that would be to cut out the damaged metal and weld in a new piece. Or just pay $425 for a new tailgate. Maybe someday. The good news is that most of that area will be covered by an aluminum piece of angle which is what the rear window of the soft top attaches to.

Ah the joy of working on a 45 year old vehicle.😉

IMG_4114.jpg

IMG_4115.jpg

On 9/23/2020 at 8:49 AM, blksn8k2 said:

The new door hinges for the driver side came yesterday. After literally hours of adjusting and adding and subtracting shims, etc. I finally settled on this. The gaps are pretty uniform. Not perfect but okay. Both fenders have been moved back by about 3/16" which really helped. One of the issues that I really struggled with was getting the door to latch properly and not drop when opened while still maintaining all the gaps.

I'm still waiting on the new passenger side door hinges plus some other hardware. After that door is done next up will be the alignment, or should I say realignment, of the hood.

IMG_4113.jpg

You are rolling right along. Is the door slightly open in the bottom picture or is that a shadow from something else?

On 9/25/2020 at 12:54 AM, tbone said:

Is the door slightly open in the bottom picture or is that a shadow from something else?

If you're asking about that gray spot at the top of the quarter panel that's actually where I fixed some shipping damage in the gelcoat (a couple of chips along the vertical edge) and sprayed primer over the repair.

But the door also didn't fit evenly with the top of the rocker panel either. The bottom of the door sat flush with the rocker at the front but kicked out a little more than the rocker at the rear.

I bought a new rocker and did some trial fitting of that today. The rocker will now be even with the bottom of the door for it's full length and the door, rocker and quarter panel will all be flush.

As I mentioned before this whole area will eventually be covered by the rock sliders but I still don't want any odd gaps between the sliders and the rest of the body.

The old rocker also looked like crap where it met the door jam when the door was open. 

IMG_4148.jpg

2 hours ago, blksn8k2 said:

If you're asking about that gray spot at the top of the quarter panel that's actually where I fixed some shipping damage in the gelcoat (a couple of chips along the vertical edge) and sprayed primer over the repair.

But the door also didn't fit evenly with the top of the rocker panel either. The bottom of the door sat flush with the rocker at the front but kicked out a little more than the rocker at the rear.

I bought a new rocker and did some trial fitting of that today. The rocker will now be even with the bottom of the door for it's full length and the door, rocker and quarter panel will all be flush.

As I mentioned before this whole area will eventually be covered by the rock sliders but I still don't want any odd gaps between the sliders and the rest of the body.

The old rocker also looked like crap where it met the door jam when the door was open. 

IMG_4148.jpg

Yes, that was the area I was seeing.  Replacing that rocker gave you some flexibility in fitment.