Missing chips

9 minutes ago, rsmith2786 said:

I've got to say I'm curious as well.  I don't quite understand the hate on OP here.  I've found this whole chip thing fascinating and have read a ton of articles about it.  From Ford's choice to use a distributed network across the vehicle with many modules while some manufacturers choose to use a fewer number of "central" modules.  Then the "old" technology these chips are built on and the small number of manufacturers than can still make them.  Even recently the decision by Ford to have alternate circuit designs to accommodate different chip packages to give them more flexibility down the road.  There's also Ford's decision to cancel a bunch of chip orders as they had predicted demand would be down for years with COVID.

It's all interesting!  To me at least.  I've probably spent 10s of hours reading on this specific topic.  I'd love to know which specific modules are impacted here.  I'm an engineer and most of my job is finding root cause and solving problems.  I live for this sort of thing.  Obviously this doesn't change when my truck will arrive.  It's got nothing to do with that.  Isn't this the place for enthusiasts to....be enthused?

14 hours ago, todd270 said:

....A simple "I don't know" is as valid of an answer as any.... 

1 hour ago, rsmith2786 said:

I've got to say I'm curious as well.  I don't quite understand the hate on OP here.  I've found this whole chip thing fascinating and have read a ton of articles about it.  From Ford's choice to use a distributed network across the vehicle with many modules while some manufacturers choose to use a fewer number of "central" modules.  Then the "old" technology these chips are built on and the small number of manufacturers than can still make them.  Even recently the decision by Ford to have alternate circuit designs to accommodate different chip packages to give them more flexibility down the road.  There's also Ford's decision to cancel a bunch of chip orders as they had predicted demand would be down for years with COVID.

It's all interesting!  To me at least.  I've probably spent 10s of hours reading on this specific topic.  I'd love to know which specific modules are impacted here.  I'm an engineer and most of my job is finding root cause and solving problems.  I live for this sort of thing.  Obviously this doesn't change when my truck will arrive.  It's got nothing to do with that.  Isn't this the place for enthusiasts to....be enthused?

All of that discussion is fair and we’ve already discussed a lot of it including JIT inventory.

The original question is fair and the answer is nobody here knows which chips or modules are affected.  Also not a problem.

The problem is repeatedly asking over and over in multiple topics or continually complaining about it.  Keep in mind this is now on top of a sudden huge influx of future super duty owners all asking the same questions over and over and not reading previous replies or other relevant documentation.  

And to top that off we have another newbie who wants to chastise the moderators.

All we said is that it’s frustrating and aggravating and I hope everyone can understand why.  Please remember none of the moderators are affiliated with Ford (other than cyberdman who doesn’t do any moderating outside tracking requests).  We’re just enthusiasts like you who try to keep out spam and troublemakers.

• Like 4

• akirby locked this topic