Diesel Fuel Additives??

9 minutes ago, Ford truck guy said:

Here is a question...

Back in the day when driving big trucks, I used to use Diesel Fuel Supplement, Grey bottle for normal use, white bottle for cold temps . . .   How many ( IF ANY ) are using a supplement with their 6.87's ? 

Power Service

IMO, the only fuel additives worthy of consideration these days are those that deal with fuel gelling. And, you would need that only if your got caught in a sudden extreme cold weather happening and you still had summer fuel in your truck.

Any others just don't get you enough benefit to justify the cost.

The only time in the last 20 years or more that I ever put any fuel additives in my truck was when a BG rep gave me a couple of bottles to try.

I could not tell any difference after use, and have never used any since.

Buy your fuel from a high volume station, keep your filters changed on time, that's all you need to do.

Edited by Ltngdrvr

5 hours ago, Ford truck guy said:

Here is a question...

Back in the day when driving big trucks, I used to use Diesel Fuel Supplement, Grey bottle for normal use, white bottle for cold temps . . .   How many ( IF ANY ) are using a supplement with their 6.87's ? 

Power Service

I was reading a thread about this over on the FTE forums earlier today. I have never owned a diesel, so these type of threads catch my eye. From what I can tell, a high volume, clean station is the best option, as well as the amount of biodiesel in the fuel. As I understand it, these trucks are made to accept up to 20% biodiesel (B20), but of course the lower the number the better... I'll have to see if we have any stations with B5 near me. I already have 1 gas station in mind for my area that moves a lot of fuel because of location, and this is where I will likely start filling up if my 2022 ever comes in (lol).

Anywho, when reading in that thread earlier, it seems like whether or not to add additives is a big subject. Some of the popular brands seemed to be the Motorcraft stuff (Cetane booster), Optilube, Hot Shots and K100. I have also seen where some folks will even mix the Hot Shots and the K100 together... I don't know... if you start looking at the links to the studies, they look good, but whether or not you can trust them, who knows? If I am not mistaken, when watching a YouTube video on the Powerstroke Tech Talk with ARod I'm wanting to say that he also recommended the additives, but he is a big OEM guy, so he recommended the Cetane Booster from Motorcraft. Then reading through comments on the forums folks even mention how much quieter there motors run, and even that they get better gas mileage... Anyway, I will have some time before mine gets here to decide if I want to run any or not in mine, but at the moment, I am leaning towards using it. Considering how little is used in each tank, those bottles will last a while (for my expected amount of driving) and if they keep the fuel fresher, and keep the CP4 fuel pump happy, I'll be happy... and it sounds like they do...

Edited by chadstickpoindexter

I run Archoil in my current 2011 6.7. Even with almost 400k she is still running strong. Ill probably continue to use it in my 2022 whenever that shows up ? I mostly do it for the extra lubrication for the CP4.

Edited by mattdm
  • Like 1

I run hot shot secret products in all my diesels. With the low lubrocity of the ULSD here in the US the need to protect your fuel systems especially on the super duty’s with the Bosch CP4 is critical. I don’t claim to know all the science behind their products, but have never had an issue while using their products. I am sure there are other products just as good, but I get some good discounts and get everything delivered since most of the products are not available in the parts stores here.

• Like 2