GM-Nissan deal dead....where to next

kyle

I hope not.

Carlos Ghosn is a narcissistic jerk who torpedoed the GM talks when it became clear he wasn't going to get it all his way.

Good riddance to bad rubbish.

You should go to the GMI boards. They are praising the Lord right now! LOL! I can't say I blame them. Let Ghosn and Captin Kirk screw up some other company. I believe Hyundia would be a great company for them to aquire right now while they are still young... hm

Edited by StevenJ

Could a Nissan-Ford deal be next?

I dont think so.

Bill made that overture prior to the arrival of Mulally. I really think Bill was looking for a CEO, not a merger partner. If merging was how he got Ghosn, then so be it. But Carlos isnt needed anymore.

Besdies, what could Renault-Nissan add to Ford? Euro cars? They already have those. Renault on the other hand get the F and E series money makers.

I dont think so.

Bill made that overture prior to the arrival of Mulally. I really think Bill was looking for a CEO, not a merger partner. If merging was how he got Ghosn, then so be it. But Carlos isnt needed anymore.

Besdies, what could Renault-Nissan add to Ford? Euro cars? They already have those. Renault on the other hand get the F and E series money makers.

I agree. Once Mulally got on board with Ford I don't think Ford is considering a merger or alliance. At least I hope not one with Renalut/Nissan and Ghosn!

You may have forgotten or not known at all about how DCX went to Ford first before Chrysler. The result was that Ford wanted too much for DCX to chew, but unfortunately led to the selling of Ford's heavy truck to DCX, now called Sterling. It was a dumb move; their class 6 & 7 sales tumbled and they probably lost some other biz too especially to municipalities which like to keep one supplier. Massachusetts DOT parking lots used to be I-90/ Mass Pike Ford commercials. Now that's changed. Let's see how dumb Ford will be this time! What will they give away next?

Edited by Joe771476

Couldn't find something a little more recent?

They make cars. Ford does better at Trucks. How hard is that to understand?

are Renaults Euro cars better than Fords Euro cars?

You may have forgotten or not known at all about how DCX went to Ford first before Chrysler. The result was that Ford wanted too much for DCX to chew, but unfortunately led to the selling of Ford's heavy truck to DCX, now called Sterling. It was a dumb move; their class 6 & 7 sales tumbled and they probably lost some other biz too especially to municipalities which like to keep one supplier. Massachusetts DOT parking lots used to be I-90/ Mass Pike Ford commercials. Now that's changed. Let's see how dumb Ford will be this time! What will they give away next?

that deal was actually Nasser thinking there was more money in dialing up SuperDuties than class 6 and 7.

I think long term, Ford probably made more money doing it this way (even though it cost them heavy duty trucks)

Nissan's a parasite, they're just trying to use GM for their own interests, they could care less about how GM benefits from the relationship. I hope Ford doesn't even consider an alliance with them. Seems to me that Nissan is worried about their long-term future.

http://detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?A.../610050397/1148

Ghosn, is apparently hot-to-trot on Ford now.

When Ford turns him down, you think he's going to call DCX?

I'm beginning to suspect there are problems at Renault/Nissan, and that Ghosn is in a hurry to tie up a 3rd partner, while he can still get in (so he thinks) for free.

One of the sticking points at GM, apparently, was that they wanted cash (given their much larger footprint, and better vehicles in most segments). Renault/Nissan either could not or would not pony it up.

I haven't looked at combined cash reserves at Renault Nissan but now I'm curious.

I'm also curious about why they're suddenly so keen to have a U.S. partner------

This is very interesting. Very very interesting.

It will also be funny to watch Ghosn making himself available at every turn while trying to play hard-to-get.

I'm also curious about why they're suddenly so keen to have a U.S. partner------

This is very interesting. Very very interesting.

It will also be funny to watch Ghosn making himself available at every turn while trying to play hard-to-get.

Agreed. Ghosn hasn't really had the opportunity to "just continue" at any auto company...he had to redo Nissan (where he had little to do with product) and he overhauled Michelin after the Uniroyal buyout...that's what he does. Can he "just" lead Renault-Nissan? There isn't an answer to that question yet.

He's got a large French company that performs moderately in Europe and is pretty much non-existant anywhere else. Nissan is a healthy company, but largely an also-ran outside of Japan behind Toyota. Both are in okay health, but there doesn't really seem to be a second act to Nissan's revitalization and Renault is just, well, Renault.

I'm not sure if Ghosn is trying to cover for upcoming problems at R-N with a merger/buyout, sees that R-N is at a growth plateau and needs a partner to get larger, or is just after the ego gratification. I just don't know. But with the list of potential partners shortened by two, who's left?

Scott

Well according to the local news geniuses, Ford is considering a merger for no other reason than because it's desperate. :rolleyes:

any merger would involve the Family losing control.

So I don't really see it happening anytime soon because when it does happen, that will be when the Family walks away from the company great-grampa started.

Well, let's see some pics. And, I'm NOT talking about the car. :D

Anyway, do you let her park it in your driveway? :shrug:

As far as pics, that's just my personal opinion, not something I'm going to plaster on the internet. Sure, she could park it in the driveway, after all, it IS a sharp little car.