Super Duty Accessories

tcritch3

4 hours ago, Gharri30 said:

I'm curious about the flares as well as I'll be running 12 wides with 13.50s. Any ideas how much extra protection they may provide? I don't want anything crazy, just a little bit would be fine. Also any idea what the install entails? Have a few other things I wanted to get painted so these could be done then. 

You're right about that. I've been looking at wheels for a while and had it narrowed down to two. Beginning of the week I saw a new one that I like being released. So now I think I'm headed down that path. Now to just decide on the tires. Already have lift sitting at local shop. Wife said I have a problem. My three year old thinks my truck is going to show up orange, he may be slightly disappointed. ?

My girlfriend thinks I have a problem as well. Every day she asks, “Did you talk to your friends today?” meaning all of you on here and FTE. It took me a long time to narrow it down to just the Moto Metal Shockwave. I don’t hate the XD Whiplash, either! I’m either going with the Toyo Open Country MT or the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. With everything going on in the world, this isn’t a bad problem to have. Back to the drawing board

3 hours ago, FirstFord22 said:

My girlfriend thinks I have a problem as well. Every day she asks, “Did you talk to your friends today?” meaning all of you on here and FTE. It took me a long time to narrow it down to just the Moto Metal Shockwave. I don’t hate the XD Whiplash, either! I’m either going with the Toyo Open Country MT or the Nitto Ridge Grapplers. With everything going on in the world, this isn’t a bad problem to have. Back to the drawing board

??. Same two tire options for me as well. I saw a Dodge the other day that had running boards that had a power step fold out of them. They were pretty slick if you had a decent lift or a short wife. No idea how they perform though. Similar to these, or could possibly be them. 

Screenshot_20220101-191228_Chrome.jpg

• Like 2

On 2/25/2022 at 6:19 AM, Gharri30 said:

I'm curious about the flares as well as I'll be running 12 wides with 13.50s. Any ideas how much extra protection they may provide? I don't want anything crazy, just a little bit would be fine. Also any idea what the install entails? Have a few other things I wanted to get painted so these could be done then. 

im not sure how wide they’ll be but I’d bet it isn’t more than 1/2”-3/4”. I like them more for the looks. I’m not sure on the install either, but if it’s anything like the bushwhacker flares they attach underneath the fender and rest on the side of the truck with a piece of rubber. I’ve not had them come loose before so it’s a pretty good design IMO. 

5 hours ago, tcritch3 said:
On 2/25/2022 at 8:19 AM, Gharri30 said:

im not sure how wide they’ll be but I’d bet it isn’t more than 1/2”-3/4”. I like them more for the looks. I’m not sure on the install either, but if it’s anything like the bushwhacker flares they attach underneath the fender and rest on the side of the truck with a piece of rubber. I’ve not had them come loose before so it’s a pretty good design IMO. 

Good deal. I'll have to see if I can find some one  truck around. These or possibly the next step up might be good. Not looking for to much. 

I may probably not get a spray in liner. I would get it with the order but that seems to be a delay item so I left it off. However , I've been wondering if I need it. I may just get a rubber bed mat and if the paint gets scratch up I can do the liner then, no harm, no foul. The main reason I had a liner sprayed in my Ranger is that people here don't know how to climb into the bed without stepping on the bed rails and scratching them.

One thing I wonder though,  is that the factory linr has a raised Ford emblem behind the cab. Can that be purchased and installed prior to Linex?

On 2/26/2022 at 2:43 AM, FirstFord22 said:

@Gharri30 those are pretty sweet! If I decide to go with a 4” lift, I may have to look into those 

Well FirstFord if you decide to go with a 4 inch lift this is what she will look like. The tires are 37” Nitto Trail Grappler’s which just replaced the 35” Toto MT’s I was running. A trip to Bend and back convinced me I didn’t like the hum of the Mud terrains. The Nitto’s are smooth and quiet. This morning I reconfigured the BCM for the new tire diameter and it came out perfect. Speedo/odo/ shift points right on the money. Tomorrow I pick up my Buckstop front bumper. Then I have to order the matching rear, then a winch and lights for the bumpers, and etc, etc.  Just warning everyone on this particular thread that once you start it’s a slippery slope!

F7A90ED7-FB02-4F92-86AA-A2BBF398E31F.jpeg

1 hour ago, MT350 said:

Well FirstFord if you decide to go with a 4 inch lift this is what she will look like. The tires are 37” Nitto Trail Grappler’s which just replaced the 35” Toto MT’s I was running. A trip to Bend and back convinced me I didn’t like the hum of the Mud terrains. The Nitto’s are smooth and quiet. This morning I reconfigured the BCM for the new tire diameter and it came out perfect. Speedo/odo/ shift points right on the money. Tomorrow I pick up my Buckstop front bumper. Then I have to order the matching rear, then a winch and lights for the bumpers, and etc, etc.  Just warning everyone on this particular thread that once you start it’s a slippery slope!

F7A90ED7-FB02-4F92-86AA-A2BBF398E31F.jpeg

I dig the set up. What lift are you running? I have a 4" BDS at the shop that just needs a truck to be put on. I think I have my wheel finally picked out. Just trying to decide between the Ridge Graps and the Open Country MTs to go with, will be 37x13.50s. Toyos give little more of look I want but do I want the trade off of the noise is the question. The graps still have a great look since it's a hybrid. Im new to all this so I'm not sure about the BCM reconfiguration, have to find someone to help me out with that I guess. 

Edited by Gharri30
add Info

It’s the 4”BDS. The ride and handling is great however there are a few issues to be aware of. BDS went with a 4.5 inch flat rear axle block. This was a no go, at least for me, and will be for you too if your truck has a one piece rear prop shaft. Flat blocks are for a two-piece prop shaft where you can adjust pinion angles with the center support bearing. I ended up with excessive pinion angle, launch shudder, prop shaft vibration at speed, and too little slip yoke spline engagement. Anyway after a tech support case they sent a 5” tapered block which solved the above issues. I won’t bore you with all the technical details but have them if you want.  The other note is deviate from the instructions if you are using their radius arms and put the axle in the “rotated forward “ position (less positive castor).  You will have a much better front pinion angle, still have 2.5 degrees of positive castor, and the factory castor spilt of 0.5 degrees will be sufficient to compensate for road crown. 

I would have went with Toyo AT3’s but they were unobtainable. All of the programming has been with Forscan. 

Good luck getting your truck and then with your build. Expensive toys to be sure.  Do you have an eta?

38 minutes ago, MT350 said:

It’s the 4”BDS. The ride and handling is great however there are a few issues to be aware of. BDS went with a 4.5 inch flat rear axle block. This was a no go, at least for me, and will be for you too if your truck has a one piece rear prop shaft. Flat blocks are for a two-piece prop shaft where you can adjust pinion angles with the center support bearing. I ended up with excessive pinion angle, launch shudder, prop shaft vibration at speed, and too little slip yoke spline engagement. Anyway after a tech support case they sent a 5” tapered block which solved the above issues. I won’t bore you with all the technical details but have them if you want.  The other note is deviate from the instructions if you are using their radius arms and put the axle in the “rotated forward “ position (less positive castor).  You will have a much better front pinion angle, still have 2.5 degrees of positive castor, and the factory castor spilt of 0.5 degrees will be sufficient to compensate for road crown. 

I would have went with Toyo AT3’s but they were unobtainable. All of the programming has been with Forscan. 

Good luck getting your truck and then with your build. Expensive toys to be sure.  Do you have an eta?

I opted for the leaf spring kit instead of the block. I'm not going to attemp to tackle the install. I have a local shop that is a BDS dealer doing the install but I'll pass on that info on. 

I've watched a few videos on Forescan and read a good many threads on it. Plan on trying to get into all that when the truck gets here. At least start off disabling some chimes and what not. 

No eta yet. Just ordered at the end of December. Think I'm going to drop the black apperance for the sport apperance after going back and forth on it the last few days. 

Tonneau Cover - Never though I'd get one, but we are eyeing a truck camper and want something easy to take off/on to keep stuff in the bed dry during the rain/snow months in WA.

Matte screen protector for the 12" screen - want the screen to stay scratch free for a long time even if I have to swap protectors every few years

Winch - Maybe, would only use it to help people out of a bad spot. I'm considering the factory option once my F350 comes in... 

Some kind of rear seat storage for my boys who will be in the back seat. I'd like to keep things organized during road trips.

That's about it, except I suppose sometime far down the road I'll get some nice wheels/tires, but nothing flashy, just not stock.

• Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Gharri30 said:

I opted for the leaf spring kit instead of the block. I'm not going to attemp to tackle the install. I have a local shop that is a BDS dealer doing the install but I'll pass on that info on. 

I've watched a few videos on Forescan and read a good many threads on it. Plan on trying to get into all that when the truck gets here. At least start off disabling some chimes and what not. 

No eta yet. Just ordered at the end of December. Think I'm going to drop the black apperance for the sport apperance after going back and forth on it the last few days. 

Good choice going with the replacement leaf springs. In hindsight it is the route I should have taken. I will be curious how that works out for you. In the meantime I’ve spent so much time fabricating/modifying my air bag mounts, so the air spring can lift off of the seat, I don’t want to change anything now. Definitely look into the Forscan thing. It’s a huge benefit to have on these trucks. For example, being able to adjust my tire pressure settings was a game changer. 

And yes, decisions, decisions!  I made two separate changes on mine after the order. I feel your pain haha

1 hour ago, ovalbert said:

Tonneau Cover - Never though I'd get one, but we are eyeing a truck camper and want something easy to take off/on to keep stuff in the bed dry during the rain/snow months in WA.

Matte screen protector for the 12" screen - want the screen to stay scratch free for a long time even if I have to swap protectors every few years

Winch - Maybe, would only use it to help people out of a bad spot. I'm considering the factory option once my F350 comes in... 

Some kind of rear seat storage for my boys who will be in the back seat. I'd like to keep things organized during road trips.

That's about it, except I suppose sometime far down the road I'll get some nice wheels/tires, but nothing flashy, just not stock.

Screen protector. Hadn’t thought about that. Mine will have the 8” screen. Surely they have them for those also. 

@MT350 hopefully it turns out as good as im hoping. A lot of builds Ive seen here and around town have set the bar kind of high. I feel the pain of investing a lot of time into something and not wanting to deviate from it later on. I definitely plan on Forscan, just need to get a reader.

I've made a few changes to my order since I put it in. Started with the 6.2 and decided why not just bump to the 7.3. Not for any practical reason, just finally in a position to do something for myself and I'm going to do it how I want to the best of my ability. Now I just need to give myself the best opportunity to get the truck here. 

18 minutes ago, CBears said:

Screen protector. Hadn’t thought about that. Mine will have the 8” screen. Surely they have them for those also. 

https://www.theocdplug.com/shop/p/f150-8

That seems to be it. I don't think it's likey I'll scratch the screen, but I'd rather spend the $25 and not worry about what's in my hands when use the touch screen and also having a matte finish will help cut down on the glare, improve visibility.

• Thanks 1

@Gharri30 and @MT350 I literally could not decide on the 4” BDS or the leveling kit for the longest time… honestly I’m still not too confident in my current decision. But what I decided to do is start small and go bigger down the road instead of vice versa. I’m going to go with a 2.5” leveling kit with 35s on a 20x10 wheel with -18 offset. I’m sure I’ll be happy with that, and when it’s time to replace the tires I’ll reconsider going higher if the missus has no issues getting in. Such difficult decisions we have to make

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, FirstFord22 said:

@Gharri30 and @MT350 I literally could not decide on the 4” BDS or the leveling kit for the longest time… honestly I’m still not too confident in my current decision. But what I decided to do is start small and go bigger down the road instead of vice versa. I’m going to go with a 2.5” leveling kit with 35s on a 20x10 wheel with -18 offset. I’m sure I’ll be happy with that, and when it’s time to replace the tires I’ll reconsider going higher if the missus has no issues getting in. Such difficult decisions we have to make

Solid choice. Easy to go up in the future if you decide you want more out of it. You can burn all that extra money on even more accessories. ?

3 hours ago, 4thTimer said:

Whenever I take my wife to look at trucks, her first comment is always,  "It's so big!"

Sounds about like mine. She was concerned about getting a 3 year old in and getting a newborn once June comes in. Told her its only 4 inches (?) we'll survive. By time truck shows up probably have a 5 and 2 year old..lol. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

24 minutes ago, Gharri30 said:

Sounds about like mine. She was concerned about getting a 3 year old in and getting a newborn once June comes in. Told her its only 4 inches (?) we'll survive. By time truck shows up probably have a 5 and 2 year old..lol. 

Thank God for power adjustable pedals with memory right? We have a '17 Ranger base model and she sits on pillow and the seat pulled all the way up to the wheel. Hahaha. She did like the F-150 we rented a few years back.

33 minutes ago, Gharri30 said:

It’s only 4 inches… but wait, there’s more! 37s are also going to increase the height. Maybe leave that part out ?

11 hours ago, Gharri30 said:

Solid choice. Easy to go up in the future if you decide you want more out of it. You can burn all that extra money on even more accessories. ?

You are so right! I’ve already ordered the wheels and tires. Now I’m ordering the raptor grill lights and the screen protector. Then after she arrives gotta get the windows tinted. Debating about getting the illuminated front oval. I’ve never loved spending my hard earned money so much

• Haha 2