Max Air Conditioning Knob / Mode

I have a the single-zone manual climate control (XL trim) and either I'm not educated on how to operate it or I have discovered a defect.  

To give some background on what the controls look like, for you guys with the fancy dual-zone systems:

The temperature control knob goes from 100% heat (completely clockwise) to 100% cool (completely counter-clockwise).  Just past the 100% cool position, it says "MAX A/C".  If you rotate the knob to this position, it is a momentary switch and the knob springs back to 100% cool as soon as you let go.  There is an LED above the label "MAX A/C" to indicate whether MAX A/C is on or not.

Seems super simple.  But it only works about 20% of the time.  The rest of the time nothing happens when I rotate to the MAX A/C position.  Am I supposed to hold it there, NOT hold it there, or some other criteria that the computer decides whether it wants to turn on MAX A/C?  I see nothing in the owner's manual about this, so I'm assuming the system should be as simple as it appears.  I might have to make a video to show what I mean.

On 5/13/2022 at 4:37 PM, Forderorder said:

Yup, that’s what it should do but it does not always. 

Mystery solved.  When you twist it to Max a/c and let go, if the knob moves back even one click for max cold it won’t engage Max mode.  You either have to do it carefully so it doesn’t move back, or go to max cold first, then twist and it’s easier to keep it there,