Chevy's New Truck Campaign Slammed

Mark B. Morrow

His column was snide and condescending, true. But it's a knee-jerk response to ignore what is likely "across the aisle" discomfort with GM's imagery, simply because it comes from the mouth of an arrogant balkanizing self-aggrandizer like Stevenson.
I hear what youre saying but I dont think this was a Pro Bush commercial as much as it was an emotional and provacative one. Liberals get offended at way waaaaay too much. If you wave a flag you are not patriotic, you are a racist. If you support Bush you are a right wing radical, and so on and so on. Anything that even is slightly on a conservative side gets liberals into a frenzy. You cannot have everything neutral and Non-offensive somewhere someway you will "take a side" and you will be likely attacked by the other side the second you do.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hear what youre saying but I dont think this was a Pro Bush commercial as much as it was an emotional and provacative one. Liberals get offended at way waaaaay too much. If you wave a flag you are not patriotic, you are a racist. If you support Bush you are a right wing radical, and so on and so on. Anything that even is slightly on a conservative side gets liberals into a frenzy. You cannot have everything neutral and Non-offensive somewhere someway you will "take a side" and you will be likely attacked by the other side the second you do.

What seems troublesome is the use of images of death and destruction (IIRC something like 5,000 people died, between 9/11 and Katrina, not to mention 68,000 U.S. soliders and who knows how many Vietnamese civilians in Vietnam) to sell a pickup.

I think if they would've left that out, and not had such a STUPID slogan ("Our Country, Our Truck, if you don't like it go to Russia"), they would've done okay.

Leave out hippies in the mud (reminds me of the Simpsons episode where Brockman says, "And now we'll cue our standard 60s montage", which is a bunch of hack 60s scenes shown to "Incense and Peppermints" or something), and the blatant product placement and you do even better.

It's not that I personally find this wrong (I consider it more stupid than exploitative), it's that the public at large is unlikely to grasp the message they're trying to send.

A few people on this board like the commercial, but a few people on the board liked the Dr. Z commercials too.

Every Honda ad I've seen ranges between unremarkable to thoroughly forgettable. Last time I checked, they weren't having any trouble selling vehicles.

Two of the most memorable ad campaigns of the last 20 years were the Joe Isuzu "Liar" ads and the "This is not your father's Oldsmobile" ads.

Try to buy a 2006 Oldsmobile or Isuzu passenger car...

To paraphrase James Carville, "It's the vehicles, stupid."

Of course, if a car maker has a new vehicle, it's a good idea to at least let the public know that it exists (Five Hundred, Freestyle, anyone?). Several of the local Ford dealers even had their Freestyles parked in the back of the lot, away from the street, so that no one could see them.

I've never seen a vehicle so poorly promoted by its maker. It's almost as though Ford is embarrassed that it ever bothered to make it...

Edited by grbeck

One of the best and most memorable ads I have ever seen didn't evenshow the vehicle. It was the Jeep ad where the Jeep burrows under the snow ala Bugs Bunny. All you see is the snow moving and the taillights showing through the snow. When it comes to a Stop sign the premise is clear. It fit the Jeep brand perfectly.

Thanks for the validation guys. If anyone knows where to send it, I'm all ears.

Find out who Ford's ad agency is (I used to know, but forgot)...a simple google search will bring it up.

Find a phone number and call them, don't rely on email...they will just read it and if they like it...they'll use it and not give you any credit. TALK to someone.

Thanks for the validation guys. If anyone knows where to send it, I'm all ears.

Your idea is great (better than 95 percent of all the vehicle ads I've seen this year), but I don't know if the ad agency would pick it up, as it didn't originate inhouse. And since Ford's agency is a very large company, I doubt that it has a mechanism for funneling ideas submitted by the public to the right channels. The "not invented here" syndrome is probably ingrained in the corporate culture.

It is probably as sclerotic as its main client (the Ford Motor Company).

And it doesn't want to risk a lawsuit from you for its use of your idea.

Edited by grbeck

Some ad campaigns are unforgettable...who here remembers the Pontiac "We Build Excitement" commercials? This commercial is from 1987 and even though I was a 4th grader at the time I still remember the song like it was yesterday. Today it might seem a little cheesy, but at the time it really did make an image for Pontiac. These commercials made the product look "exciting" and I bet a lot of people went down to their Pontiac dealer to look at the cars when they saw how "hip" they were for 1987!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sT0IIoYkJaM

Some ad campaigns are unforgettable...who here remembers the Pontiac "We Build Excitement" commercials? This commercial is from 1987 and even though I was a 4th grader at the time I still remember the song like it was yesterday. Today it might seem a little cheesy, but at the time it really did make an image for Pontiac. These commercials made the product look "exciting" and I bet a lot of people went down to their Pontiac dealer to look at the cars when they saw how "hip" they were for 1987!

I just had a big hair-Miami Vice flashback

The problem was that the real excitement came when your spiffy new Fiero caught fire on the expressway...

Just saw a commercial for the Impala.......

Campbell Ewald is just totally out of it.

The liner for this commercial, "Bye-bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevy to the levee...." Editing out, of course, the part of about the levee being dry, and 'them good old boys drinking whiskey and rye, saying this'll be the day that I die'.

So, tell me, what exactly is the point of using this song?

I mean you use a song because people are familiar with it, which means they're familiar with they lyrics (more or less) which means they're going to mentally add the memorable close to that chorus ("this'll be the day that I die").

----

Sunday football has also brought repeat viewings of the Chevy "go to Russia" commercial, and it does not improve with viewing. If anything it seems more and more incongruous: "From the East Coast" (lobster traps) "to the West Coast" (forest fires) WHAT?

And U.S. soldiers dropping from a helicopter in Vietnam? The 9th Ward? PEOPLE DIED so Chevy can have footage for a truck commercial? Man, I don't know WHAT they were thinking. Do they assume that images like that have become a kind of bland cultural oatmeal that can be served up at any time without stirring visceral reactions from people?

-----

Sunday football has also provided a reminder Mike Holmgren has a terrible time against the Vikings.

Edited by RichardJensen

The liner for this commercial, "Bye-bye Miss American Pie, drove my Chevy to the levee...." Editing out, of course, the part of about the levee being dry, and 'them good old boys drinking whiskey and rye, saying this'll be the day that I die'.

I mean you use a song because people are familiar with it, which means they're familiar with they lyrics (more or less) which means they're going to mentally add the memorable close to that chorus ("this'll be the day that I die").

----

Sunday football has also brought repeat viewings of the Chevy "go to Russia" commercial, and it does not improve with viewing. If anything it seems more and more incongruous: "From the East Coast" (lobster traps) "to the West Coast" (forest fires) WHAT?

And U.S. soldiers dropping from a helicopter in Vietnam? The 9th Ward? PEOPLE DIED so Chevy can have footage for a truck commercial? Man, I don't know WHAT they were thinking. Do they assume that images like that have become a kind of bland cultural oatmeal that can be served up at any time without stirring visceral reactions from people?

-----

Sunday football has also provided a reminder Mike Holmgren has a terrible time against the Vikings.

What market are you in Richard? I heard the same song used here in NY on a Chevy commerical (not sure if it was an Impala commerical) and they left in the levee remark.

What market are you in Richard? I heard the same song used here in NY on a Chevy commerical (not sure if it was an Impala commerical) and they left in the levee remark.

They played the chorus a couple times. I think they might've left it in the first time, and cut it the second, or they left it in both times and I just edited it out mentally. "The levee was dry" is less obviously negative than "this'll be the day that I die".

I'm in SD. It's the 'heartland Chevy' market, but I have no idea what states that incorporates. Commercials like this woud probably be packaged for national distribution, with a gap for a regional voiceover at the end, like "See your local heartland Chevy dealer today" with a still of the dealerships in the broadcast region (or those that kick in the money to appear on the list).

----

-----

I watched the games today with a room full of very educated, non-car-enthusiasts today and pretty much all of them hated the ad. Of course, none of them drive trucks, but they all seemed to find it insulting that Chevy was using painful American images to schill trucks. Maybe the target demographic thinks otherwise, but this ad looks like a miss to me.

They discontinued that car just as they were starting to get it right. See, Ford's not the only one.

GM invented that approach to product development. The corporation continued it with the Oldsmobile division...all of the new models were (finally) in place, and GM proceeded to can the entire division!

Ford, unfortunately, appears to have picked up GM's approach.

Note to Ford management - when imitating the competition, it's best to copy their GOOD procedures and practices, not the bad ones.

I watched the games today with a room full of very educated, non-car-enthusiasts today and pretty much all of them hated the ad. Of course, none of them drive trucks, but they all seemed to find it insulting that Chevy was using painful American images to schill trucks. Maybe the target demographic thinks otherwise, but this ad looks like a miss to me.

Likely this impacted their view of the Chevy brand. Which means if Chevy had any cars, CUVs, or SUVs that they were hoping your friends would be interested in, well, this truck commercial just cost them.

TV commercials are often more about brand identity than product awareness.