Ford Patents solid axle with hub motors for BEVs

15 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

Signals for superduty BEV?

In the past, hub motors seem to have been tried more often on light and low-power applications, which are opposite of what I would expect a Super Duty requires.  From what I have seen, large electric trucks which use live e-axles typically have been using a motor mounted in center driving the differential.  The Tesla Semi is different in that it has one rear axle with two motors (one to power each wheel) but are still near the center, not in hubs.

It would be interesting to read entire patent application to better understand advantages.  I suppose hub motors allow live axle beam to be located lower for improved packaging (lower floor) and perhaps easier access to motors.  To me it seems like a design that could be used to power the rear wheels of a FWD vehicle to add hybrid and or AWD capability.  The European FWD Transit van with lower floor and live rear axle comes to mind.  Adding small (low-power) hub motors may be an easy way to create a plug-in hybrid, or add AWD traction capability.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Captainp4 said:

Signals for superduty BEV?

Would work too for a future EV Raptor, at least for the rear.  The Lightning's rear halfshafts are just too short for a Raptor version (limited articulation).

Edited by AM222

2 hours ago, AM222 said:

Would work too for a future EV Raptor, at least for the rear.  The Lightning's rear halfshafts are just too short for a Raptor version (limited articulation).

If motors were to be located inside wheels, would there be an advantage to having a live axle versus some type of swing arm like present Lightning, or some other independent suspension?  It seems IRS would have greater ground clearance in center, though a solid axle beam could curve up to provide more than enough ground clearance in center.  Also wonder how hub motors would hold up in off-road abuse. 

12 hours ago, Rick73 said:

If motors were to be located inside wheels, would there be an advantage to having a live axle versus some type of swing arm like present Lightning, or some other independent suspension?  It seems IRS would have greater ground clearance in center, though a solid axle beam could curve up to provide more than enough ground clearance in center.  Also wonder how hub motors would hold up in off-road abuse. 

The main advantage of a solid axle is its superior articulation.
2021-f-150-raptor-08-1612307236.jpg?crop

Want an IRS to have good articulation, you'd need very long half shafts and very long suspension arms/links like some of the 4400 class off-road racers.
img-8975.jpg
The Lightning's rear motor layout just won't allow this.

Lightning's wide electric motor and very short half shafts.
ford-f-150-lightning.jpg

Edited by AM222
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AM222 said:

Want an IRS to have good articulation, you'd need very long half shafts and very long suspension arms/links like some of the 4400 class off-road racers.

The patent is about hub motors, or placing the drive motor inside the driven wheel.  There are no half shafts at all to limit articulation with hub motors.  Anyway, there is probably more to this patent than we know presently.

By the way, I should have said Lightning has semi-trailing arm rear suspension, not swing arm. 

1 hour ago, Rick73 said:

The patent is about hub motors, or placing the drive motor inside the driven wheel.  There are no half shafts at all to limit articulation with hub motors. 

Sorry, I was comparing the long travel IRS (in the photo) which had half shafts vs the Raptor with a solid axle. Anyway, the patent is for a solid axle with hub motors.

Edited by AM222