Do we really need EVs: Brazil's ethanol fueled cars

92 Merc, greetings from the state threatening to send all that CO2 your way, Minnesota. 

Had our Farmer's Union annual county meeting last week and one of our members is a big proponent of the Summit carbon capture pipeline and has sold them an easement across his land. Last year he was real enthusiastic for the pipeline, this year not so much. Summit is threatening use of eminent domain in the Dakotas because many farmers aren't willing to sacrifice their farms to them. To make even more enemies, Summit recently sent "surveyors" into a South Dakota farmer's bean field without permission with a tracked drill rig the size of a small tank to "take core samples". Said now angry South Dakota farmer is a republican member of the state legislature, many of the democrats already opposed Summit's pipeline and the republicans are now joining the opposition, uniting the political parties against Summit. Summit's last friend in South Dakota politics will probably be Governor Norm, as she's part owner of an ethanol plant... 

I would like to have the legal option to buy non-oxygenated (non-ethanol) gas at the pump.
We have it in Minnesota, but the pump sticker say for lawnmowers, snowblowers, vintage vehicles only,

If ethanol is so great, let the market place decide.

11 minutes ago, jniffen said:

I would like to have the legal option to buy non-oxygenated (non-ethanol) gas at the pump.
We have it in Minnesota, but the pump sticker say for lawnmowers, snowblowers, vintage vehicles only,

If ethanol is so great, let the market place decide.

Wouldn't help much- Most of our gas here in Minnesota comes from rotgut Canadian oil sands, and you don't want any more of that in your engine than you have too. I've been running a bunch of motorcycles on E10 and one even has a Brazil spec fuel system that can handle E20 for years with no more fuel problems than they had on 100% gasoline. My Flex Fuel Transit Connect thrives on E85 so well that I only put E10 in it on the rare occasions when E85 is unavailable. Kind of hilarious how far some Harley riders and hot rodeos will go to get "pure" gas- in the fall they'll be slavishly filling up at the "pure gas" pump while I fuel up at the blender pump with E20 for over a buck less a gallon!

On 7/30/2023 at 1:17 PM, GearheadGrrrl said:

Wouldn't help much- Most of our gas here in Minnesota comes from rotgut Canadian oil sands, and you don't want any more of that in your engine than you have too. I've been running a bunch of motorcycles on E10 and one even has a Brazil spec fuel system that can handle E20 for years with no more fuel problems than they had on 100% gasoline. My Flex Fuel Transit Connect thrives on E85 so well that I only put E10 in it on the rare occasions when E85 is unavailable. Kind of hilarious how far some Harley riders and hot rodeos will go to get "pure" gas- in the fall they'll be slavishly filling up at the "pure gas" pump while I fuel up at the blender pump with E20 for over a buck less a gallon!

I used to run ethanol in my lawn mower, until I had to have the gaskets replaced. 
Once the tech told me only to use real gas, which I have, it makes a huge difference.

My Nautilus will not do E85, I do get a bit better MPGs, sure it's not a big enough increase to offset the price.

4 hours ago, jniffen said:

I used to run ethanol in my lawn mower, until I had to have the gaskets replaced. 
Once the tech told me only to use real gas, which I have, it makes a huge difference.

My Nautilus will not do E85, I do get a bit better MPGs, sure it's not a big enough increase to offset the price.

I’ve had no problems running 10% ethanol in any small motors. A gallon of ethanol has about 30% less energy than a gallon of gasoline, so blended fuel will likely result in worse fuel mileage.