Ford NA Needs This!... Transit Custom Nugget Camper!

The previous generation Nugget also came with a fixed tall camper top, and while I agree 100% that the Custom van should be imported to North America, I hope that if they bring the Nugget to NA, they do all sizes.  I’m not sure, but think the fixed-top variant was called the Plus, and was available in both short and long wheelbase.

What may complicate design options a bit is that the newest Custom van’s high top appears much taller than previous high top, perhaps making it now more practical to build a camper with OEM fixed high roof instead of the add-on camper version.  Granted, the fiberglass top added to a low roof van has some advantages like having a tailgate option.  I like that the van’s tailgate could function as a mini awning when camping or tailgating.

IMG_1305.thumb.jpeg.c719acfd9c6602319e804fdc56963120.jpeg

Medium size vans makes for good popup camper. Unfortunately this size van just doesn't pencil out for fleet buyers in the US so we won't get it. 

VW and Mercedes both also sells OEM pop up campers as well based on midsize van chassis. VW California and Mercedes Marco Polo. 

10 hours ago, ANTAUS said:

Autblog.com Just posted a story about the VW California....

For US market a camper van that small without any bathroom at all will have limited appeal even though camper appears very well designed and built.  It’s too small and also does not have air conditioning or a generator (or lithium batteries with inverter) to deal with warmer US temperatures.  I’m only aware of one pop-up-roof conversion van in US from a major manufacturer and I’ve never seen one on the road.

For US market the much larger VW Grand California camper based on Crafter van would do better in my opinion.  Not only does it have a toilet and shower, it has far more storage.

In case of Ford, the largest Transit Custom-based Nugget if available in NA may appeal to single travelers or smaller couples not requiring much space, but  IMO US buyers would prefer the full-size Transit.

On 8/24/2023 at 7:01 AM, GearheadGrrrl said:

With clever synergistic application of Sync and PHEV power Ford has produced a camper van that is way more than the sum of it's parts... https://fordeurope.blogspot.com/2023/08/all-new-ford-transit-custom-nugget-camper-van.html

I actually saw one of these while on vacation in Canada. It had Euro plates, so I assume it was brought over here to take a North American road trip and it will be shipped back once its owner is finished with their vacation.

On 8/26/2023 at 2:43 PM, ANTAUS said:

There's no A/C in that thing ?? Would only work for 1/4th of the US...no wonder it has a shower, gotta take care of that swamp......

In case you are asking seriously (I’m not sure) the VW California in video did not appear to have a “house” air conditioner for cooling while camping.  I’m sure there is a vehicle A/C which would operate with engine running, but idling engine for long periods is not allowed or practical in most places.  Can be dangerous also if not done correctly.  The video did mention it had space heater for camper in back.

The larger VW Grand California has house A/C option (IIRC) and also a “wet bath” that includes a shower and cassette toilet.  That’s more like what NA buyers are purchasing in van camper segment.

For what it’s worth, I recalled an article from a few years back about there being a full-size Ford Transit-based Big Nugget (at least being tested).  I’m not sure if it ever made production or not.  Floor plan was very similar to VW Grand California and included a wet bath.  Picture doesn’t show an RV rooftop A/C but that would be an easy addition.

A Transit Big Nugget based on PHEV chassis with integrated electrical would likely get my money if reasonably priced.

https://www.motortrend.com/news/ford-transit-big-nugget-camper-van-photos-specs/

IMG_1319.thumb.jpeg.2cfa9c161329c97ad516718de7665d03.jpeg

• Like 1

Article mentions “the camper’s dedicated battery pack”, but I hope that reference only applies to standard ICE powertrain.  With the PHEV option having 11.8 kWh net capacity battery pack, and likely Pro Power Onboard also, why not put them to work?  The PHEV would make a great all-electric (house) single-fuel (gasoline) camper.  In my opinion that’s where the real value in PHEV for camper applications lie; though I prefer a larger van.

“You can even spec a solar roof so you’re less likely to seriously run down the camper’s dedicated battery pack, and owners can monitor status through a seven-inch monitor in the rear of the passenger compartment or through an app. It’s a smart home on wheels, sort-of.“