Future Ford Vehicles Could Collect Data from Test Drives

Future Ford Vehicles Could Collect Data from Test Drives

https://fordauthority.com/2024/01/future-ford-vehicles-could-collect-data-from-test-drives/

FordAuthority.com_2024-01-12_Test Drive Data.jpg

Ford Motor Company has filed a patent for a connected vehicle data usage framework system that could be used in future Ford vehicles, Ford Authority has learned.

The patent was filed on July 7th, 2022, published on January 11th, 2024, and assigned serial number 0013276.

Just a few weeks ago, Ford filed a patent for a vehicle operator identification system that would be capable of identifying the driver from a database of users using information stored in something like a smartphone. This is just the latest piece of evidence that FoMoCo is leaving no stone unturned when it comes to collecting data and using it for all kinds of purposes – many of which aim to make one’s life more convenient – and now, this new filing continues that trend by outlining an idea for a connected vehicle data usage framework system that could be used in future Ford vehicles, too.

The concept behind this new patent is centered around ways for Ford to perform vehicle analytics derived from connected vehicle data captured from customers, which in this case, specifically pertains to those that test drive vehicles. The system would do basic things like record a customer’s visit and their interaction with the vehicle, but it would also display the vehicle’s features and capture data from test drives.

FordAuthority.com_2024-01-12_Test Drive Data_Flow Chart.jpg

This data would then be sent to a server, where it would be used to make recommendations on what type of vehicle might best suit that particular customer, given their preferences and characteristics. Dealers would even receive personalized incentives or recommendations designed to entice the customer to purchase a vehicle, which could prove beneficial to those entities and the automaker itself.

Edited by ice-capades
Additional Content

"Big Brother" data collection at every level, whether enacted by governments at multiple levels or corporate, is out of control. Can't help but wonder how soon it'll be that potential customers first interaction at the dealership level will be the request to sign a disclosure agreement. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

Uh.  No thanks.

I'm not driving a vehicle on a test drive like I'd drive normally - I'm trying to get a quick test of different features in a short period.

I also don't want/need an algorithm telling me what kind of vehicle I should be looking at lol.

• Like 2

So all these invasive analytics will of course terminate once the vehicle is sold, right?

I think that I as a customer need access to Ford's info on the management that signed off on the vehicle I'm interested in, so I can make a better informed decision on my purchase. This information should include their credit score, their most recent and archived performance reviews, what vehicles they currently own themselves, the telematics from these vehicles, civil and criminal convictions, judgements or settlements, and a transcript of the highest level of education achieved. After all, they have access to all this info on me, one way or another.

I am sure that this information is in Ford's databases, and could be accessed by a QR code on the window sticker. 

I am an upstanding, compassionate citizen and I expect that the Ford Motor Company would only be too glad to share with me how upstanding and thoroughly vetted the folks are that caused my intended vehicle to come into existence. 

Edited by Chrisgb
  • Haha 1