Loud Static Sound from Speaker

Last week upon starting the car while out of town the center speaker had a blaring sound of static. I shut off the engine several times and restarted, but the loud sound continued for my 45 mile trip home. During that time the infotainment system would not shut down. Very distracting. The issue has not returned after that day.The last time this type of thing happened (see my January 2023 post) the sound was from the left footwell speaker and the volume varied with the engine rpm. No one responded to my earlier post and the Lincoln and the Ford dealers are not familiar with this issue.

Please post if you have had this happen-- thank you. All else is excellent with the vehicle.

• ice-capades changed the title to Loud Static Sound from Speaker
20 hours ago, Lefty205 said:

Last week upon starting the car while out of town the center speaker had a blaring sound of static. I shut off the engine several times and restarted, but the loud sound continued for my 45 mile trip home. During that time the infotainment system would not shut down. Very distracting. The issue has not returned after that day.The last time this type of thing happened (see my January 2023 post) the sound was from the left footwell speaker and the volume varied with the engine rpm. No one responded to my earlier post and the Lincoln and the Ford dealers are not familiar with this issue.

Please post if you have had this happen-- thank you. All else is excellent with the vehicle.

Hi Lefty205. What model year? Is the vehicle still within the 4 year/50,000 mile New Vehicle Warranty period, or an ESP that covers electronics? If yes, schedule a service appointment so the issue can be properly diagnosed and corrected.

When you state they told you they "are not familiar with the issue", were you talking to them on the phone, or did you bring it in for inspection? Not much can be done until the service department and a tech has the vehicle hands-on.

I am sure others will also jump in to help so keep us updated and good luck.

it's a 2016 MKX, not under warranty. The local Lincoln dealer (1 mile from my home) was "deleted" by Lincoln, so after the first time this happened the local Ford dealer checked it out but could not determine a cause. I was advised to bring it in while the noise was active. After the recent event I called the nearest Lincoln dealer (35 miles) and was advised that they were not familiar with the issue but I should bring it in while the noise is active. I believe that I've seen references to similar issues with Ford Explorers. Next time it happens I will take it in.