Why Detroit Can't Compete

Imagine how much money the Big 2.5 would actually make on a vehicle if it didn't have to have cash on the hood to sell it. That doesn't have anything to do with the hourly workforce, but the salaried designers and bean-counters. ;)

The jobs bank encouraged Ford to keep making vehicles for which there was no demand, which causes oversupply, which causes............duh............incentives.

Not saying the company doesn't shoulder some or even most of the blame for engineering and marketing decisions, but you can't blame it all on them.

Ford doesn't have a "jobs bank". Ford has GEN. And, yes, I can put all of the blame on the company. If they designed vehicles that people wanted to buy, with the quality that is expected, Ford wouldn't need to put cash on the hood of the cars, thus raising their profit for each unit and guaranteeing repeat buyers.

I agree, but it's not all doom and gloom. Ford didn't get here overnight so it won't get "out of the hole" overnight. But the initial quality ratings of the new Ford products are outstanding. I do agree that they have some work to do on their dealers (my main bitch) and if Ford doesn't, the product isn't going to make much difference. When they force the owners of the dealers in our area to remodel or close, that will be the begining of the turnaround. The product is there. Now marketing and dealerships need to be as good as the product.