2008 Ford 500

dug50

Looks pretty dull. I was hoping for something a little more interesting in the headlamps.

that was my first reaction too .. but there is detailing in there that is not visible on the shot posted .. after all it is a night shot.

we should wait for the official pictures - and some more flattering angles, but yeah .. we all have known this will not be an earth shattering release ... hopefully the Focus will be better.

Igor

With the Fivehundred restyle, I don't quite understand the break away from the Fusions headlamp arrangement because that is what helps give the three car grille character. The headlamps they designed for it makes the car look like something out of the 1980's, barely more exciting than a Tempo. Matter of fact the whole car now looks like an old Australian Falcon from the 1980's...

I WILL ASK THIS AGAIN (AFTER IT WAS IGNORED BEFORE):

Does the 2008 Five Hundred have an updated interior??? If so, how? Anyone has ANY answer (Yes or No)?

Thanks

Igor

What I read, on the MyFord500.com website, from someone who claims to be a supplier, is that the interior updates are limited to improved material textures and more color in the interior. it sounded to me like the basic design didn't change, but the appearance did.

Interior and Exterior:

Exterior - The new exterior looks like just the improvement it needed. I see fender vents under the disguise on the front fenders (in the photos on Left Lane News).

Interior - The big problems with the current design are the overly wide center console, lack of a telescoping steering column, narrow driver's footwell, and plain/cheap monochrome surfaces. However, a change to the console, steering column, dashboard, and floor under the carpet would fix those things, so most of the interior could and should stay as it is.

We'll soon see how serious they are about staying in business.

Edited by FStephenMasek

Interior and Exterior:

Exterior - The new exterior looks like just the improvement it needed. I see fender vents under the disguise on the front fenders (in the photos on Left Lane News).

Interior - The big problems with the current design are the overly wide center console, lack of a telescoping steering column, narrow driver's footwell, and plain/cheap monochrome surfaces. However, a change to the console, steering column, dashboard, and floor under the carpet would fix those things, so most of the interior could and should stay as it is.

We'll soon see how serious they are about staying in business.

I've driven a friends Freestyle Limited AWD. IMHO, the best improvement they could make to the interior is the addition of a telescoping option for the steering wheel. Other than that, it's super comfortable for long trips.

For some reason it looks like it will "appear" smaller than the current 500.

Also I think the front looks unimaginative. Too blocky because of the flattened grille.

I would appreciate igor's rendition much better, with the swooping headlights that go back toward the front fenders.

In fact, if they just made the headlights less blocky, that would be awesome.

However, because it is blockier, it fixes the issue of looking stubby in the front with that side profile.

I'm liking the taillights, though. But I'm mixed how they will look on a day-to-day basis.

For some reason it looks like it will "appear" smaller than the current 500.

Also I think the front looks unimaginative. Too blocky because of the flattened grille.

I would appreciate igor's rendition much better, with the swooping headlights that go back toward the front fenders.

In fact, if they just made the headlights less blocky, that would be awesome.

However, because it is blockier, it fixes the issue of looking stubby in the front with that side profile.

I'm liking the taillights, though. But I'm mixed how they will look on a day-to-day basis.

I have to admit that I am very disappointed by what I've seen so far. I know we were only promised minor changes, but considering how bad Ford is doing in the marketplace due to their undesirable car lineup, I was hoping for a little more than just a tweak. Based on the spy pics, the car is basically unchanged. A different grill and a few light bulbs in the rear will not help was is seriously wrong with the boxy, out of date style of the 2008 500. As far as the interior goes, I have a Freestyle and the narrow driver's side floor space and cheap materials are definitely a problem. If Ford has a shot at longterm survival, it will have to make BOLD changes to its lineup.

The 500/Montego has not been a hot seller, nor, with its current look, will it be!

The basic look of the car is dull.

It's like, it can't make up its mind what it wants to be.

It looks similar to so many vehicles out there, it doesn't distinguish itself from the pack.

So far, Ford's bold moves, have fallen flat!

The eye of the beholder hasn't been truly intrigued!

I've received more or less ho hum feelings from the people I drive in this vehicle and the new tweaks, are not enough to make any difference in my customers opinions!

Unless and until, Ford decides to take chances with their designs, their future is not looking bright!!!

I got rid of my 500, to buy a proven vehicle...Explorer, but even its days are numbered.

The quality of this Explorer, (2006) proves Ford knows how to produce a GREAT vehicle, but with their rep, they've got to take chances with their future designs.

"Necessity is the mother of invention".... and if Ford doesn't heed this proverb....Bye, Bye!!!!!

Of course, my opinion is subjective and I could be terribly wrong!!!!!!

Edited by chilintao