Torino

timmm55

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is a great concept. I really like the specific model front end you chose to go with.

I like the second drawing best.

I own a 1973 Australian XB Falcon and I would like to see the line at the bottom of the rear seat side window redone a little more like the XB Falcon. What you have now is still more similar to our American Torinos. The line should be angled a little more upward, a little higher and more sinister. Here's a couple links to pics that demonstrate this better....

XB Falcon 1

XB Falcon 2

I suggested this body style and that body line in particular to Dave Kuzac at Ford about a year ago. With the trend to higher belt lines I believe it would go well on a modern car, as well as the line on the XB Falcon being foreign to American eyes.

Interesting exercise. But I don't quite see the point.

Other than the grill, it looks to be a pretty boring looking car. And back in the day, that grill was just a big chunk of plastic eggcrate, nothing special.

That ship has sailed, and sank. Why dredge it up again?

I used to get a ride with Maxine to work in her Gran Torino. Maxine was a generously proportioned women of a certain age, as they say. The car suited her. Nowadays, she'd be driving some honking big SUV.

Fine, call something "Gran Torino", but at least make it something interesting. Ford has enough boring product as it is.

post-19198-1165000047_thumb.jpgTalking about Mercurys.....a Cyclone maybe?

I think I'd have to go with the idea of an S197-based Mercury Cyclone, too, mainly due to the current Mustang only having a fastback roofline. The original Cougar was based upon the notchback Mustang, which doesn't presently exist. The biggest problem would be the classic Mercury 'crosshair' grill, which Dodge has appropriated for all of its models.

Plus, Mercury could revive the Comet nameplate, as well, for the lower-line V6 version. The Mustang GT V8 version would be called Cyclone.

Edited by ruteger

Interesting exercise. But I don't quite see the point.

Other than the grill, it looks to be a pretty boring looking car. And back in the day, that grill was just a big chunk of plastic eggcrate, nothing special.

That ship has sailed, and sank. Why dredge it up again?

I used to get a ride with Maxine to work in her Gran Torino. Maxine was a generously proportioned women of a certain age, as they say. The car suited her. Nowadays, she'd be driving some honking big SUV.

Fine, call something "Gran Torino", but at least make it something interesting. Ford has enough boring product as it is.

IMHO any car is just metal, plastic, glass and rubber (even a Ferarri). The point, or exercise is to find it's soul. That particular Grand Torino may have been epitomized by Maxine to you. The 72 and later Torinos, certainly the Grander ones, were zaftig: big, full, round and pleasingly plump to some. That's NOT what I remember LOL. I remember the 71 Torino Cobra 429SCJs in bright yellow...a top bananna, or a certain Cyclone Spoiler in Comp Blue. Sure the Cyclone beak nose (like the 70-71 T-Bird) was over styled (thanks to Bunkie K. from GM?) but it was audatious. Mercury dragged up the Montego name for a boring (but very good) sedan. The soul I have in mind is more exciting.

LOL Dodge has stolen enough from Ford's history (Cobra/Viper, 37 Ford/PT Cruiser-Prowler, etc.) it seems kind of ironic that they can now lay claim to a styling element that wasn't theirs: the gun-sight grill. Ferarris have history embedded in their new cars, their egg crate grill dates back to the 50s as does the Testa Rossa (red valve covers).

Retro cars like the VW Bug and PT are a characture. Heritage designs like the Thunderbird tip their hat to the past. Evolutionary designs like the new Mustang or every Ferarri never lost it.

I think I'd have to go with the idea of an S197-based Mercury Cyclone, too, mainly due to the current Mustang only having a fastback roofline. The original Cougar was based upon the notchback Mustang, which doesn't presently exist. The biggest problem would be the classic Mercury 'crosshair' grill, which Dodge has appropriated for all of its models.

Plus, Mercury could revive the Comet nameplate, as well, for the lower-line V6 version. The Mustang GT V8 version would be called Cyclone.

I have a solution for that... The Mercury Cougar Cyclone... It can be a special model of a Cougar line. One way to bring back some loved nameplates is to make them special trim levels of a main model line. Or we could go back to the days when cars shared the same bodystyle but had different model names completely depending on trim level. But hey as it exists now, Ford, Mercury and Lincoln are the trim levels for a singel body style on most models.

Retro cars like the VW Bug and PT are a characture. Heritage designs like the Thunderbird tip their hat to the past. Evolutionary designs like the new Mustang or every Ferarri never lost it.

Thank you. I am so glad you see things the way I do... Now lets get Ford to put some more evolutionary Ford, Mercury and Lincoln products on the table...

I dont see Ford naming any car in the current lineup with a name that doesn't start with the letter "F". Too bad since this limits the names which can be as crucial as the car itself. I kinda liked the idea of Ford using the "Futura" name and didn't understand why they got into a legal wrangle with Pep Boys over the "Futura" name...then name the car the "Fusion"....I see Fusion this and Fusion that(my razor is a Fusion!!!)...seemed like an exercise in futility. They should have stuck to their guns and named the car the "Futura" anyway. Either way, it is a great car, and I bought an SE in Silver Frost with a V6.

How about for the Fusion coupe, call it the Fusion Torino (Torino being the level package) The current practice of having an alphabet soup of letters and numbers on the trunk of a car is just plain dumb, just look at the back of a current Focus (Focus ZX4, SEL.....???) Gonna need a larger trunk lid if this continues.

Edited by twintornados

I dont see Ford naming any car in the current lineup with a name that doesn't start with the letter "F". Too bad since this limits the names which can be as crucial as the car itself. I kinda liked the idea of Ford using the "Futura" name and didn't understand why they got into a legal wrangle with Pep Boys over the "Futura" name...then name the car the "Fusion"....I see Fusion this and Fusion that(my razor is a Fusion!!!)...seemed like an exercise in futility. They should have stuck to their guns and named the car the "Futura" anyway. Either way, it is a great car, and I bought an SE in Silver Frost with a V6.

They could NOT name the car Futura. There was a judge's ruling barring them from doing so. Fusion is a fine name, even if it has been slapped on to a few other products lately. I don't see the other "Fusion" gimmicks lasting as long as a car model though, so it probably won't be an issue in another couple years.

As for the "F" names, Ford announced some time ago that they would be shifting away from that strategy for future vehicles. The B-Cars and people-movers likely won't stick to F's and E's.

I completely understand that and since I bought a Fusion, the name doesn't bother me either. Ford should look into appealing the judges ruling so they could use the Futura name in (ahem...) the future. Thank god Ford is moving away from the "F" kick....soon, there could be a Fairmont?? (Hey, I owned one of those too)

They could NOT name the car Futura. There was a judge's ruling barring them from doing so. Fusion is a fine name, even if it has been slapped on to a few other products lately. I don't see the other "Fusion" gimmicks lasting as long as a car model though, so it probably won't be an issue in another couple years.

As for the "F" names, Ford announced some time ago that they would be shifting away from that strategy for future vehicles. The B-Cars and people-movers likely won't stick to F's and E's.

I don't have a problem with the Fusion name at all. It represents something new and fresh in the marketplace and it will make a name for itself in time as long as vehicle quality and style keeps up with customer expectations.

I don't have a problem with the Fusion name at all. It represents something new and fresh in the marketplace and it will make a name for itself in time as long as vehicle quality and style keeps up with customer expectations.

+1 Ford needs new name-space and the Fusion is doing that -- the car names the name (not vice versa) so I like Fusion and how it's positioned. An SVT variant would also play well, IMO.

-Dan

• 1 year later...

critic

n 1: a person who is professionally engaged in the analysis and

interpretation of works of art

2: anyone who expresses a reasoned judgment of something

3: someone who frequently finds fault or makes harsh and unfair

judgments

I'm not sure what your pics show...I assume you tthink it stinks, but why show the Dodge Charger with the aftermarket grill?

<deleted a profanity> Criticism without an informed and stated is pointless and rude.

critic

I'm not sure what your pics show...I assume you tthink it stinks, but why show the Dodge Charger with the aftermarket grill?

hey, you can read into the pic's whatever you want.

I tried to find the exact Dodge car grill to show.

All I found what that one, so, if you don't see a Dodge grill, I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. America will.

I thought a picture speaks louder than 1000 words.

uhhhh I have a few friend's that studder, but I never make fun of them about it, timmmmmmmmmm

Edited by Critic

hey, you can read into the pic's whatever you want.

I tried to find the exact Dodge car grill to show.

All I found what that one, so, if you don't see a Dodge grill, I'm sure Mr. and Mrs. America will.

I thought a picture speaks louder than 1000 words.

The Cyclone had a gun sight grill in 1970, and somehow a 2006 Charger now owns that bit of styling?

It's not even the same thing anyway, the Charger is a broad grill, split and bisected....no gun sight either. :ohsnap:

Now if you said it looked like a Pontiac, your argument might have some merit...but only a little.

Critic, you've shown virtually the entire Dodge lineupLOL! BFD. So they have a split/bisected grill. It's not a center grill (Dodge used a full grill in case you haven't noticed) it doesn't have a gun site.

Anyway the Cyclone was first, and Dodge didn't copy it either as it's different enough.

Here's a reminder of what a 70 Cyclone looked like.

cyclone.jpg

And here's what a Charger Cyclone could look like! LOL

dodgeCharger.jpg

Critic, you've shown virtually the entire Dodge lineupLOL! BFD. So they have a split/bisected grill. It's not a center grill (Dodge used a full grill in case you haven't noticed) it doesn't have a gun site.

Anyway the Cyclone was first, and Dodge didn't copy it either as it's different enough.

Here's a reminder of what a 70 Cyclone looked like.

And here's what a Charger Cyclone could look like! LOL

Hummer didn't copy the 7 bar Jeep grill either. LOL Cherry didn't copy the...

I got the point across. The whole idea of RETRO is dying. It was good for a while, but sales are falling off. Who buys them? Baby-boomers. I just about ordered a '74 Cuda, til I found out, that was it's last year and had been turned into a steer. Dragging up a name and trying to update it to today, doesn't quite work well. Google Dusenberg to see some of their II's models, 'Estate Car'. nuf said.

I would have tossed in a 74 Gran Torino, due to the topic. I studied that sales brochure on that for months trying to decide to buy or not. But I just put the Dodge LINEUP in their, to show what your grill will say to people, "OH, it's a Dodge". As I look at the Gran Torino, I saw that was what 'I' want on a Lincoln (Grill). But even my wife, the Critic from hell says it's OLD! What does she know? Your good, much better with oil's, than pixel's. Then again, I'm no AutoCAD expert or paint guru.

I didn't mean to hijack your thread. I admire your work. You just take an old idea and make picture of what could be. I still find it funny, why would I want to join anything that allows someone like me in? Sorry, I didn't mean to upset you.

You just take an old idea and make picture of what could be.

Not exactly. I take an idea from the past and see if it could still work today. Old, or classic? Retro or revisited? Or a continuation/link to/from the past? How long has BMW used the kidney grill?

Just? Let's see your photoshop work....... if you find it so easy. I do it for fun, you're a critic for what purpose exactly? Hell, I don't like everything I do, I don't mind criticism if it's logical and pertinent. Your Dodge fixation isn't........

(BTW Jeep did sue Hummer for the grill rip off!)

Yeah, retro is DEAD.....wonder who will buy the Camaro and Challenger? Thanks for the official announcement.

Edited by timmm55

(BTW Jeep did sue Hummer for the grill rip off!)

OK.. your thread.. I'm out.. no being nice to you it seems.. I will say it the way I want here on out....

'sued'. I can sue you for anything I want to also... doesn't mean I'll win. You honestly can't see the forest for your trees.

The rest of your car seemed as bad as the grill, but I wasn't going to mention that. Not sure If I already had.

Take care Joe. I'm like confused,,, I'm going away, thinking Napoleon Complex I guess. Shrug

Timmm...

I always enjoy seeing what you come up with. I appreciate that you revisit classic design themes and apply them to a modern look. Many of the classic fastback Fords are fascinating which include all the Mustangs to 1973, the 68-73 Torinos, Montegos & Cyclones, Aussie Falcon coupes, and yes even the 1970-71 Thunderbird fastback.

Fortunately I have enough intelligence not confuse a Cyclone with a Dodge of any sort.