Details of the New Hurricane/Boss 6.2l V8

Wow, I'm not used to people actually paying attention to the ideas I post. :drop:

It's coming, and actually I'm going to make a new thread about the subject since both of the existing threads would be taken well off topic on topic were I to go into any detail. Should be ready in a couple of days.

Very good appreciate it.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Given posts 1&2 bore spacing of 116mm or so, that would mean approx 4.25 bore?

Yikes, a bore like that would be almost impossible to keep inside emmissions.

You forget, there is a requirement at Ford to make this block

diesel friendly. Thats why I blue sky this at 100mm bore.

A 100mm bore with a 111.5mm stroke is a perfect 7.0L PSD...

Your 116mm bore space provides for some pretty stiff

cylinder walls.

Yikes, a bore like that would be almost impossible to keep inside emmissions.

You forget, there is a requirement at Ford to make this block

diesel friendly. Thats why I blue sky this at 100mm bore.

A 100mm bore with a 111.5mm stroke is a perfect 7.0L PSD...

Your 116mm bore space provides for some pretty stiff

cylinder walls.

That is bore spacing Sys not Diam.

Matthew

I guess I was relating to is this way: if bore spacing is almost identical to old FE, unless deck height is quite low, 427 cid (can't imagine Ford not thinking 427/429 at some point in the muscle car wars) would seem realistic. I thought the old FE427s were around 4.13 bore (those blocks are regularly built at 4.25 bore today).

In a thick-walled long-stroke configuration it would seem to work as a nice 7.0L PSD (as SysEng points out, assuming enough deck height) and might also work well in a gas 7.0L hi-po thin-walled short-stroke configuration.

My assumption is that the roughly 95mm modular max bore that forced the long-stroke 5.4 as the effective max cid is one of the limitations the new Boss was trying to address.

In DOHC trim and using tech similar to the new 3.5DOHC v6, not clear to me why it could not also be very clean (like the 3.5). At least that was my drift.

The 'Boss' engine project seems to be about the only good news coming out of Ford these days. I really think the days of 4" or larger bores is well behind us. The 'Boss' is going to be interesting, and I suspect that most of it will be new rather than Modular or Triton based. I am hearing rumors that it will replace the Triton V-10 in the Super Duty.

I guess I was relating to is this way: if bore spacing is almost identical to old FE, unless deck height is quite low, 427 cid (can't imagine Ford not thinking 427/429 at some point in the muscle car wars) would seem realistic. I thought the old FE427s were around 4.13 bore (those blocks are regularly built at 4.25 bore today).

In a thick-walled long-stroke configuration it would seem to work as a nice 7.0L PSD (as SysEng points out, assuming enough deck height) and might also work well in a gas 7.0L hi-po thin-walled short-stroke configuration.

My assumption is that the roughly 95mm modular max bore that forced the long-stroke 5.4 as the effective max cid is one of the limitations the new Boss was trying to address.

In DOHC trim and using tech similar to the new 3.5DOHC v6, not clear to me why it could not also be very clean (like the 3.5). At least that was my drift.

The 428 was 4.13" bore with a 3.98" stroke

The 427 was a 4.23" bore with 3.78" stroke

the 427 Was higher reving engine race egine. The 428 was a torquey lower rpm motor for moving the lang yatchs of the day. Both engines were underated in HP.

The 429 460 both shared a 4.36" bore the 460 had a 3.85" stroke and the 429 a 3.59" stroke. the 460 if built right can build huge PP numbers.

If the Boss Block is 116MM bores. And if the bottom end is wide enough to accept a 4" stroke then 7 liters is doable. A 4.13" or so bore will leave lots of meat between the cylinders to insure no head gasket failers even if blown. A definet durabily plus.

Ford has played with deck height on all of its modern multi use V8's save for the 385 series.

It is pretty much a given that the boss block will come in more than one deck height .

Out side block dimentions in a short stroke configuration it will not be much bigger than a 302.

Deck it up to take a 3.5" stroke and it will not be much bigger than a 351W 351C

deck it up to take 4" stoke and It will be about the size of a 400 Ford.

Now the question is how many deck heights are we going to see 2 or 3.

More than one deck is pretty much a given. If they are going to utilize the 7 liter max bore displacment.

This motor will be able to replace all the mods in all applications if executed right.

Since the Boss Is Back lets see some boss displacments 302 and 429 jump right to mind

A Boss 429 ias it was said is a big an advertizing coup as Hemi was.

I see no reason to cross engineer the engine for diesel. It may happen but the 2 block will share nothing but dimentions. And at the max bore of 4.13" or so inches there will be gasket issues on a diesel

Matthew

The 428 was 4.13" bore with a 3.98" stroke

The 427 was a 4.23" bore with 3.78" stroke

the 427 Was higher reving engine race egine. The 428 was a torquey lower rpm motor for moving the lang yatchs of the day. Both engines were underated in HP.

The 429 460 both shared a 4.36" bore the 460 had a 3.85" stroke and the 429 a 3.59" stroke. the 460 if built right can build huge PP numbers.

If the Boss Block is 116MM bores. And if the bottom end is wide enough to accept a 4" stroke then 7 liters is doable. A 4.13" or so bore will leave lots of meat between the cylinders to insure no head gasket failers even if blown. A definet durabily plus.

Ford has played with deck height on all of its modern multi use V8's save for the 385 series.

It is pretty much a given that the boss block will come in more than one deck height .

Out side block dimentions in a short stroke configuration it will not be much bigger than a 302.

Deck it up to take a 3.5" stroke and it will not be much bigger than a 351W 351C

deck it up to take 4" stoke and It will be about the size of a 400 Ford.

Now the question is how many deck heights are we going to see 2 or 3.

More than one deck is pretty much a given. If they are going to utilize the 7 liter max bore displacment.

This motor will be able to replace all the mods in all applications if executed right.

Since the Boss Is Back lets see some boss displacments 302 and 429 jump right to mind

A Boss 429 ias it was said is a big an advertizing coup as Hemi was.

I see no reason to cross engineer the engine for diesel. It may happen but the 2 block will share nothing but dimentions. And at the max bore of 4.13" or so inches there will be gasket issues on a diesel

Matthew

Matthew, I think we're on exactly the same wavelength. I'm guessing we won't see more than two deck heights -- unless the muscle car wars really get wild.

Thanks for refresher on the B/S nums on the vintage FE & 385s -- hard to remember them all ;-) The 427 4-bolt side-oiler was such a sweet motor (had a 406 4-bolt in a '60 Galaxie for a while back in the day).

-Dan

Yes,it usually doesn't dissipate until its cooled down for about 2 hours! :extinguish:

Hi 69Boss -- she's looking as beautiful as ever! Haven't seen you around lately at SU -- hope all is well ;)

If we do see a 2010 Boss 429 and you get one, I will have to come see you, you lucky devil!

-Dan

Edited by 68fastback

Hi 69Boss -- she's looking as beautiful as ever! Haven't seen you around lately at SU -- hope all is well ;)

If we do see a 2010 Boss 429 and you get one, I will have to come see you, you lucky devil!

-Dan

You don't think they're shooting for a 2009 Boss for the 30th anniversary? ...and Camaro reintroduction?

You don't think they're shooting for a 2009 Boss for the 30th anniversary? ...and Camaro reintroduction?

One of the reasons that Fields sent the 09 back for redesign was Boss engine packaging. The steering area was a problem. The Boss Mustang is supposed to be a 5.8.

Well, I was thinking the small Boss would be '09 and the big Boss '10 ...operating under the dubious assumption that, these days anyway, walking and chewing gum simultaneously is too costly ;-)

Seriously, tho, I think SOME Boss has to be offered on '09 -- possibly the feeling is the 5.8 would cover the competition in '09, tho its vintage analogue was not the first ones out of the chute, and I'd be fine with that.

I will begin construction of a new garage bay immediatly when a new BOSS 429 is announced!!! :hyper:

4valves per cylinder,twin cams,fuel injection, :happy feet:

But just in case,I'm keeping my first Boss.

A black '69 Boss '9. A more gorgeous muscle/pony car and engine does not exist IMO. The rims and long tubes peaking out beneath adds an awesome touch too. That is my dream car! That or a tungsten Ford GT.

One of the reasons that Fields sent the 09 back for redesign was Boss engine packaging. The steering area was a problem. The Boss Mustang is supposed to be a 5.8.

If that's true, I suppose it would be a 5.8 SOHC? For a while I was thinking we might see a 5.0 mod Boss in '08, but I think a 5.8 SOHC in an '09 Boss done right is worth the wait.

My only concern would be whether it will be in alloy -- an essential 'statement' IMO about what the Boss stands for since it has to be true curve-carver with balance and reduced weight for it to be well received with the twisties crowd -- an underserved segment of late.

The overall weight and balance will be the biggest challenge, I think, (400+ NA HP is assumed) and alloy, even though likely only a +/-85lb savings, is an essential part of the overall 'statement' the Boss needs to make.

So far I've heard little on when/if that will be.

-Dan

Thanks Dan, All is well,check out this shot from the Shelby Convention at Virginia International Raceway

post-22884-1164990176_thumb.jpg

I am totally amazed that no caught and/or called me on my math error. It'll be the 40th anniversary.

As for a 5.8l Boss in '09, that would let them bring out a Boss competitor for the new camaro, then there's supposedly a redesign/refreshening of the body in '10 followed in '11... with a 7.0l Boss? Got to keep interest up over the years....

...just amazed.

With the financial position FOMOCO is in nothing short of a 1-2 punch with an anniversary issue of a 2009 Boss 429 and a Boss 302 will suffice.

What a bold move that would be,something for everyone!

Nothing against Shelby,but the Bosses eclipsed them in 69 and 70 so why shouldn't "the Boss be back"for real in 2009.

Wish list: 429 cu in 600 plus HP

DOHC alum heads 4 valves per cyl

fuel injection

6 speed manual

A/C

Bring it on,this time I will order more than 1 :happy feet:

And for those that like small blocks,buy the Boss 302 version!

post-22884-1165013097_thumb.jpg

post-22884-1165013188_thumb.jpg

post-22884-1165013266_thumb.jpg

With the financial position FOMOCO is in nothing short of a 1-2 punch with an anniversary issue of a 2009 Boss 429 and a Boss 302 will suffice.

What a bold move that would be,something for everyone!

Nothing against Shelby,but the Bosses eclipsed them in 69 and 70 so why shouldn't "the Boss be back"for real in 2009.

Wish list: 429 cu in 600 plus HP

DOHC alum heads 4 valves per cyl

fuel injection

6 speed manual

A/C

Bring it on,this time I will order more than 1 :happy feet:

And for those that like small blocks,buy the Boss 302 version!

+1 ...from your lips to HTT and MF's ears! ;)