Details of the New Hurricane/Boss 6.2l V8

One of the projects before John Coleetti retired was that 10.0L killer Mustang (based on a Boss 429Boss block, I believe). Anyone seen/heard anything further on that?

Colletti could have had the Hurricane /Boss for his SVT vehicles some time ago but chose the Modular instead. Not sure why he built that 598 AR Boss car.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Colletti could have had the Hurricane /Boss for his SVT vehicles some time ago but chose the Modular instead. Not sure why he built that 598 AR Boss car.

Probabl because he's John Coletti -- I think it was for the sheer bowtie intimidation value <lol> You've gotta love Coletti -- he was always thinking two steps ahead (even tho he didn't always get his way).

Probabl because he's John Coletti -- I think it was for the sheer bowtie intimidation value <lol> You've gotta love Coletti -- he was always thinking two steps ahead (even tho he didn't always get his way).

You would have to say he got his way with engine choice and influenced the H/Boss short lived cancellation. It's a good thing that Fields resurected it for the trucks and Mustang. Ford will need this engine to keep the F series competitive.

You would have to say he got his way with engine choice and influenced the H/Boss short lived cancellation. It's a good thing that Fields resurected it for the trucks and Mustang. Ford will need this engine to keep the F series competitive.

A short deck 4V modular V10 would have kept the F-Series and Navigator more than competitive.

Because, like the 4.6l modular it's a piece of crap; just a bigger piece of crap.

It looks nice in pictures, and the numbers can be massaged to impress, but underneath it all, it's a piece of crap.

:blah: Total B.S. I've driven, built, and modded several modulars. These engines are far from pieces of crap. Only old school guys who live their lives according to the bench racers rulebook and thus believe an engine with a square or undersqaure b/s ratio can't perform no matter what stick to that belief.

Edited by White99GT

...and the ability to achive INCREDIBLE longevity while making decent power and economy, which is why detractors of the mod make me laugh. When you're trying to rescue a company's quality repuatation, a huge number of 4.6 motors happily chugging along for 300,000+ miles between rebuilds isn't the worst way to do it!

It's proven to be a fantastic engine for general use over the long haul, still doing so today. For all its "oh-so-tragic flaws", the engines survive typical use better than almost anything out there today.

Its detractors will grouse and moan, but I've heard from far too many customers that LOVE these engines in their ever-abused fleets. The motors often outlast the cars.

Wow, how terrible.

actually, it has more to do with the skinny little bearings, lack of bore spacing and high-rpm OHC heads with low-rpm followers.

Skinny little bearings that have held 2,000+ horsepower, and hold up fine in 550 and 500 horsepower high performance cars with full warranties. Stock followers are fine up to 8,000 rpm if the springs and lifters are up to snuff. The fact that there are engines out there running these followers up to 9,000 rpm (and over) should tell you something. I'm not saying that these followers are the greatest, but they are hardly a major handicap for these engines.

Edited by White99GT

...and the ability to achive INCREDIBLE longevity while making decent power and economy, which is why detractors of the mod make me laugh. When you're trying to rescue a company's quality repuatation, a huge number of 4.6 motors happily chugging along for 300,000+ miles between rebuilds isn't the worst way to do it!

It's proven to be a fantastic engine for general use over the long haul, still doing so today. For all its "oh-so-tragic flaws", the engines survive typical use better than almost anything out there today.

Its detractors will grouse and moan, but I've heard from far too many customers that LOVE these engines in their ever-abused fleets. The motors often outlast the cars.

Wow, how terrible.

+1

The basic design of the modulars are great. The problem is with the 5.4ls and the fact that they have way too much stroke. All the modular motor needs is more length to support bigger bore. Whatever they do DO NOT CHANGE THE STROKE! Just lenghten the motor to support at least 6.0l with larger bore. I love my car, the Marauder, and it has a 4.6l DOHC Intech Modular motor and it is doing fine, no blue smoke nothing. It has 50,600 miles on it. All the problems I have had with the car had been minor electrical stuff. Battery dying, master window switch burning out, that's it. I love this car and I love the modular motor. But they have to lengthen the block. The height and width are fine, even with the humongous DOHC heads. But the length is too little. It's just an oddly shapped motor but a great motor none of the less.

Edited by StevenJ

+1

The basic design of the modulars are great. The problem is with the 5.4ls and the fact that they have way too much stroke. All the modular motor needs is more length to support bigger bore. Whatever they do DO NOT CHANGE THE STROKE! Just lenghten the motor to support at least 6.0l with larger bore. I love my car, the Marauder, and it has a 4.6l DOHC Intech Modular motor and it is doing fine, no blue smoke nothing. It has 50,600 miles on it. All the problems I have had with the car had been minor electrical stuff. Battery dying, master window switch burning out, that's it. I love this car and I love the modular motor. But they have to lengthen the block. The height and width are fine, even with the humongous DOHC heads. But the length is too little. It's just an oddly shapped motor but a great motor none of the less.

+1... exactly.

The mod is a great design with volume components up to 4.6 or so -- the 5.4 with forged goodies is fine too, but that's about the limit at that stroke and revs are limited (that's why the LS7 uses titanium rods and valves to reduce rotational and reciprocating mass for reasonable revs with big stroke -- but the Vette can hold that expense... not a typical cost-point for a mustang or CV or F150.

So I'm wanting a mod-like motor (4v/OHC), provisioned with VVT/VCT, direct-injection capable, high-pressure cast and space-saving techniques of the new 3.5V6, with the bore-spacing and deck-height similar to the old FE-series.

Such a design can be clean and develop big HP at 6.0L+ and still deliver the high-revving characteristics of a nicely-ovesquare design. For the trucks and CV-police, use production components, keep the cylinder walls thicker and stroke it more; for the Boss Mustang, alloy with max bore liners, forged pieces and shorter stroke. 115-118mm bore spacing with modest deck height is a very flexible design point, IMO.

Can't wait! ;)