Hellooooooo - where's the Cougar?

96 Pony

It just seems like a no brainer to me. Mustang is wildly successful. Mopar and GM are soming up with competition. Isn't it time to get a Cougar out that returns it to it's '67-70 roots? <_<

I thought Ford was committed to saving Mercury and coming out with exciting products. Well here is a chance - bring back the Cougar as an upscale version of the Mustang. Bring back the Eliminator positioned between the Mustang GT and Shelby GT.

Bring it back and I'll buy one - I prominse B)

It just seems like a no brainer to me. Mustang is wildly successful. Mopar and GM are soming up with competition. Isn't it time to get a Cougar out that returns it to it's '67-70 roots? <_<

I thought Ford was committed to saving Mercury and coming out with exciting products. Well here is a chance - bring back the Cougar as an upscale version of the Mustang. Bring back the Eliminator positioned between the Mustang GT and Shelby GT.

Bring it back and I'll buy one - I prominse B)

please don't say "no brainer". it implies that we have no brains if we disagree with you, which I do.

Firstly, yeah the Stang is successful. But for how long? Now with the Challenger and Camaro coming just how many 2 door RWD sports cars can be sold? Mustang sales will probably go down with those new competitors and by adding a Cougar... you lower those sales even more.

And you think it should be upscale? Just how upscale? For a luxury performer, I'd just as soon go for an M5.

please don't say "no brainer". it implies that we have no brains if we disagree with you, which I don't.

Sounds like a personal problem to me :lol:

Obviously the market is there or GM and Chrysler wouldn't be contemplating a response. And as to a more upscale version, please read up on the '67-70 Cougars and why they were produced to find out what I mean. <_<

Obviously the market is there or GM and Chrysler wouldn't be contemplating a response. And as to a more upscale version, please read up on the '67-70 Cougars and why they were produced to find out what I mean. <_<

yeah, but the year is 2006, not 1967.

The market is there, but coupes are a tiny market compared to the late 60's. A Cougar would cannibalize some Mustang sales, and be a somewhat risky investment at this time.

I'm a huge fan of Mercury, don't get me wrong. A new Cougar would be a cool car...but would it carve out its own market or just hurt the Mustang's numbers? Coupes are almost dead in the market right now, and I don't know if even the Camaro and Challenger will do well past their first or second years.

The market is there, but coupes are a tiny market compared to the late 60's. A Cougar would cannibalize some Mustang sales, and be a somewhat risky investment at this time.

I'm a huge fan of Mercury, don't get me wrong. A new Cougar would be a cool car...but would it carve out its own market or just hurt the Mustang's numbers? Coupes are almost dead in the market right now, and I don't know if even the Camaro and Challenger will do well past their first or second years.

The Cougar has been many different things over the years, a luxury sports car, front wheel drive hatchback, 4 door sedan, and even a station wagon. Since Mercury is focused on more of an "urban" lifestyle and the trend is toward more crossover vehicles, Ford should try something a little different like a crossover coupe based on the Mustang platform. This way it does not intrude on the Mustang market. Stretch the wheelbase, use the Mustang engine, independent rear suspension and stability control from the Lincoln LS, and the all-wheel-drive system that is being developed for the new Lincoln coupe. Also, the coupe should be designed with freestyle doors like the Mazda RX-8. A new Cougar should be an evolutionary design, not retro, by borrowing design cues from past Cougars and combining those with the Mercury Messenger and Ford Iosis. The car could fit between the Mustang and Lincoln coupe for around $28,000. Just an idea.

What Ford definitely doesn't need is a Mercury clone of the Mustang. Think about it, is anyone NOT buying a Mustang because they're waiting for a Cougar? I highly doubt it. Mercury isn't a company associated with vehicles like the Mustang, they're much better off selling high-class sedans and SUV's, not big-hp RWD muscle cars, just doesn't fit the image they're building.

Mercury isn't a company associated with vehicles like the Mustang, they're much better off selling high-class sedans and SUV's, not big-hp RWD muscle cars, just doesn't fit the image they're building.

True, but that's where the Cougar could differentiate itself from the Mustang: by not being a bip-HP RWD muscle car, but instead being a refined touring coupe, sort of along the lines of the Infiniti G35 coupe. Give it enough power so as not to be embarrassing, but give it the composure, style, and luxury bits deserving of this new Mercury image.

Not many people are WAITING for the Cougar, but if it was a nicer alternative to either the Mustang or the G35, it could bring some new faces to the showroom. Additionally, even if it did canibalize some Mustang sales, the average higher transaction price should make up for it, as long as it DESERVES a higher transaction price.

What Ford definitely doesn't need is a Mercury clone of the Mustang. Think about it, is anyone NOT buying a Mustang because they're waiting for a Cougar? I highly doubt it. Mercury isn't a company associated with vehicles like the Mustang, they're much better off selling high-class sedans and SUV's, not big-hp RWD muscle cars, just doesn't fit the image they're building.

You couldnt be more wrong about that dude. Iam one of those guys... I love Mustangs and have two, but i also have a Cougar and i would love a new one sitting next to my mustang. Why ? Because its good to have choices. A change from day to day it good and it keeps thing interesting between rivals and whats on the road these days. Let me see... shall i drive my mustang today? or should i drive my new cougar today? Mercury is a company that is associated with HP as well, like in the old days. There is no reason why they cant do it today. I may or may not be the only one that thinks like this but Mercury can definately be a player in competeing with Mustang. Its just going to take the right people to bring it forward and it can only be done with a Cougar.

weird ideas for the day -

Does anyone else hear Mrs. Doubtfire whenever they read the title of this thread?

What if

they bring out Mustang-based anniversary editions of the Cougar every 10 years -

and build something else to be sporty but different, too?

((hey, my hundredth post... it's like deja vu all over again))

Edited by 2b2

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree that Coupes are almost dead. There are tons of Coupes sold, it's just that most of them are sub-compacts. Coupes and Convertibles are preferred by many, but there just isn't much to choose from .

I've owned Mustangs since the mid-seventies and currently drive an 03 GT convertible, but I am waiting to buy a replacement for a couple more years because I would definitely enjoy a little more upscaling. I don't need a 475HP Shelby GT500, I need a comfortable daily driver I can swing the tail out on when I get the urge!

If the G35 Coupe came as a Convertible, it would be on my short list, but not the Z as it is just too small and impractical. A Cougar, if built using the same philosophy as the original, would be JUST THE TICKET.

A little smoother ride, more comfortable seats and upgraded interior, a few more upscale amenities such as auto temp control and memory seats/mirrors, a 4.6 or the LS3.9 as the only engine, 6 speed auto with sport shift. Add $3-4K to the sticker and maybe half of that goes to Ford's bottom line.

I'm bettiing there are many of us that had coupes as young adults, and now that the kids are off to college, we want another one. With the extra years under out belts we just want it to be a little more refined.