2008 Focus to be at 07 NAIAS

silvrsvt

silvrsvt, I don't think I'd put as much weight as you do on an article about cars in SmartMoney Magazine. The wagon stopped production in November '06 and while it is possible it's back on next year, I doubt SmartMoney is going to scoop everyone else. More than likely just a poorly-checked piece of writing.

Scott

I just hope the chassis and drivetrains get SOME attention...both are still basically competitive, but "new and shiny" seems to be all that matters nowadays.

Chassis should be getting some attention. The powertrains, I don't know. Only "buzz" I've read regarding the Focus's engine said the 2.3L is going away leaving the 2.0L only. While I'm not a fan of dumping the 2.3L, Ford could make up for it by putting Mazda's VVT on the 2.0L upping output to 148hp & 135lbs/ft torque. Maybe a 5-speed automatic while they're at it?

I must admit, however, that a H.O. 2.0L & 5-speed auto are wishful thinking. I'm prepared for a "carryover" engine lineup, much like the "all new" (yeah right) Escape.

Scott

Chassis should be getting some attention. The powertrains, I don't know. Only "buzz" I've read regarding the Focus's engine said the 2.3L is going away leaving the 2.0L only. While I'm not a fan of dumping the 2.3L, Ford could make up for it by putting Mazda's VVT on the 2.0L upping output to 148hp & 135lbs/ft torque. Maybe a 5-speed automatic while they're at it?

I must admit, however, that a H.O. 2.0L & 5-speed auto are wishful thinking. I'm prepared for a "carryover" engine lineup, much like the "all new" (yeah right) Escape.

Scott

Are you serious??? so on top on dropping the only desirable Focus (the hatch) they are dropping the 2.3???

I thought they were going to innovate and be bold and daring? I didn't know that meant they are giving up... :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

Are you serious??? so on top on dropping the only desirable Focus (the hatch) they are dropping the 2.3???

I thought they were going to innovate and be bold and daring? I didn't know that meant they are giving up... :slap: :slap: :slap: :slap:

It's not set in stone. It's just what I read somewhere a couple of weeks ago...it could have been on jalopnik or somewhere that isn't very reputable...

Don't take it as gospel, but I could see the "initial" logic of the decision - how many 2.3L Focuses can Ford really be selling right now? The ST model is way too expensive and too limited in bodystyles (sedan only.) To get proper use of the 2.3L in the Focus it needs to be a lower cost option/model available in all bodystyles. And the 2.3L needs to be available in full-spec 160hp trim to make it worthwhile.

On top of that, the Focus is the only user of the 2.0L in NA, they need to make sure they sell enough 2.0L Focuses to keep the plant running (Do the 2.0L & 2.3L share a plant/line?) and/or meet supply contracts.

Of course with the rumors of a 2.5L replacing the 2.3L next year, maybe the initial reports of the 2.3L being dropped are because it is being replaced with a 2.5L...

...but that's VERY wishful thinking. Maybe even more wishful, do you think Mazda would share its 170hp 2.0L Miata engine for the Focus? That'd be a winder...

Scott

I am hardly excited about the focus,the most we can hope for is it looks nice.

To me, I say just get this dated focus to the market expect not so nice reveiws and move on. To me thefocus should be Ford's last screw up now with new management in place. So Hurry up get the "dud" out to the market and look foward to a bright future with no more duds.

Edited by DCK

I am hardly excited about the focus,the most we can hope for is it looks nice.

To me, I say just get this dated focus to the market expect not so nice reveiws and move on. To me thefocus should be Ford's last screw up now with new management in place. So Hurry up get the "dud" out to the market and look foward to a bright future with no more duds.

I have to agree with you on this. Just get it out and focus on building a new Focus that will entice people to go down to their local Ford dealer when they are shopping around for a compact car.

It is nice to see however that Ford has decided to spend the money to at least keep the current Focus in the mind of the consumer. They could have saved the money and just sold the current model with no changes until the all new one was ready. I think maybe they learned a lesson with the Taurus. If you do nothing you will end up destroying the nameplate. Coming out with a updated Focus that really does look different and has some improvements show they don't want it to slip too far before the new one is ready so at least I give them credit for that.

Who knows, it might end up being a nice attractive little car once the cammo is taken off. We should see soon.