Ranchero/GT

I was reading on the forum where there may be a resurgance in "Car" based trucks. With gas at 2.50/gal and most of us in no real need of a heavy duty truck, (and no new Ranger in site) they make sense to me.

Since we arent getting the Aussie based Falcon UTE, I thought I would play around with a Fusion based Ranchero.

post-24042-1165958895_thumb.jpg

There was a VW Rabbit and a Omni (Rampage???) based ute back in the 80s. Good for light duty I would think....

I was at a car show several years ago at Charlotte Motor Speedway. I saw two interesting variations of "Ranchero".

One was a Festiva converted with a pick-up bed on it's existing dimensions.

The other was a 1979 Ranchero with a 1979 Thunderbird front end.

I always loved Rancheros...

I was reading on the forum where there may be a resurgance in "Car" based trucks. With gas at 2.50/gal and most of us in no real need of a heavy duty truck, (and no new Ranger in site) they make sense to me.

Since we arent getting the Aussie based Falcon UTE, I thought I would play around with a Fusion based Ranchero.

With news of a possible RWD Lincoln based on the next Falcon platform, it's possible we may see a range of new and niche Ford Falcons and Utes brought over as needed or built here.

There wouldent be a lot of hauling capacity or towing capacity. If thats what you want, then you would obviously buy a truck. But for the vast majority of buyers who want to go to the local Lowes /Home Depot to pick up some plants, bags of mulch, a few 2x4's or a sheet of plywood, there really isnt a fuel efficent solution. The Ranger is the best there is, but its not that great.

There wouldent be a lot of hauling capacity or towing capacity. If thats what you want, then you would obviously buy a truck. But for the vast majority of buyers who want to go to the local Lowes /Home Depot to pick up some plants, bags of mulch, a few 2x4's or a sheet of plywood, there really isnt a fuel efficent solution. The Ranger is the best there is, but its not that great.

Isn't that the niche that the Sport Trac and its twisted uncle the Avalanche are supposed to fill? And the profit has to be higher on the truck platform than on a non native platform...