Hybrid E150

buckwiet

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
I don't see a hybrid coming, although it would seem likely that the 4.4 turbodiesel slated for the '09 F-150 will find its way onto the option sheet of the E-150 as well.

The specs on the hydrogen E-350 make me laugh too. That 6.8 V10 is such a dog, no matter what they do to it.

???

or the best engine in its class? (unless you mean mpg wise, but its still relatively efficient considering the weight/size of the vehicles its found in)

There were rumors if hydraulic hybrid f150s, I'd think it would come out on the f150/expy before it made its way to the E150, if at all.

Edited by Captainp4

???

or the best engine in its class? (unless you mean mpg wise, but its still relatively efficient considering the weight/size of the vehicles its found in)

There were rumors if hydraulic hybrid f150s, I'd think it would come out on the f150/expy before it made its way to the E150, if at all.

In reference to the V10, I was speaking mostly about the hydrogen variant being pawned to fleets now. It has 3.3 liter positive displacement twin screw blower and still only cranks out a pathetic 235 horsepower and 310 lb-ft torque.

Oh, ok. The hydrogen does lack in the power department, but I don't know what you could compare it to to see if the power was on par with other hydrogen powered engines.

It only really needs to be compared to any gas engine to tell us that hydrogen as a form of power for combustion engines is a LONG ways off from really being ready for primetime in any application. The trade-offs in power aren't worth any benefits of using it as a fuel source.

It only really needs to be compared to any gas engine to tell us that hydrogen as a form of power for combustion engines is a LONG ways off from really being ready for primetime in any application. The trade-offs in power aren't worth any benefits of using it as a fuel source.

Hydrogen is a waste of time. Think about it... Using electricity to make hydrogen only to have it converted back to electricity to power an electric motor.... it's complete nonsense - plus you'll still have carbon dioxide emissions. And don't even get me started about the "safety" of having hydrogen stored at 1000psi and the hazards with refuelling with that kind of setup.

A battery electric vehicle makes more sense and would be way cheaper. A battery electric vehicle with a small single cylinder diesel or gas generator would make sense for applications that need more range. And a battery electric vehicle with a solar panel integrated into the roof would make the most sense if absolute ZERO (even zero for carbon dioxide) emissions is the goal.

Hydrogen will NEVER be ready for primetime.

Edited by peterstern

• 2 weeks later...
I thought the hydraulic launch assist (what it really does) was being tested on some city busses... But it's not ready for prime-time... The hydraulic system is too heavy to make it effective in smaller than commercial trucks.

There was earlier literature claiming it WOULD be available on the new Super Duty. I guess that got canned in part of Ford's Not-So-Bold Moves campaign.

There was earlier literature claiming it WOULD be available on the new Super Duty. I guess that got canned in part of Ford's Not-So-Bold Moves campaign.

Huh?

Either it wasn't cost effective (no demand from buyers at a profitable price), or it wasn't as good as we were led to believe (including real world gains in efficiency, or durability problems).

It seems incredibly unlikely that Ford's truck guys said, "This is such a good piece of technology, we'd be idiots to put it on our trucks!"

I dunno.

People are, in general short-sighted, and Ford made a lot of short-sighted decisions.

But there is a big difference between short sightedness and absolute idiocy.

Which of these are short sighted and which are absolute idiocy?

Not redesigning the Taurus for a decade.

Not redesigning the Ranger for over a decade.

Not redesigning the Panthers in over a decade.

Fitting the Edge with shitty brakes.

Launching the Five Hundred with a 203 HP engine.

Refreshing the Escape with the same shitty 3.0 and 4-speed automatic.

Getting back to the hybrid E-150. I can see where it would be perfect as a hybrid, however. You've got lots of flat areas under the body to place trays of batteries. If you downsize the gas engine to the D35, you'll have room for the generator/motor in there. I suspect that there's a lot of places that would love to have an E-150 that could manage 20 mpg in the city and 25 or better on the highway (granted, having largely brick-like aerodynamics would tend to limit highway mpg.

Don't fall in love with one solution for improved fuel economy... None of them are the golden bullet and the optimal solution is different for each application. Fact is once you get to half-ton truck size hybrids loose their effectiveness. The batteries need to get so big that the whole thing gets too heavy. The reason Ford hasn't jumped on the GM hybrid bandwagon is that for a half-tom application hybrids aren't the right answer. A modern european-like deseil can get you 30-50% improvements in fuel economy. The fuel economy isn't just around town, but also on the highway (where hybrids actually make your fuel economy worse), and there isn't a need to find space for a 500+ battery pack.

Well, if Ford hadn't quietly swept the hybrid launch assist setup that they had planned for the superduty under the rug, that would have been a great fuel saving technology for the econolines as well.

There's one thing that Panel Vans have going for them in the hybrid world, though, a great big roof that can be covered in a solar panel. While it won't make a mountain of power, it will, over time, add significantly to the ability of the van to recharge its batteries. Since most are used as day time delivery vehicles, often parked outside to be unloaded, or waiting for a load, they panel will be constantly recharging the battery pack for the next time its running. You could use a smaller battery pack due to how fast it will be refilled and that it is likely to almost always be charged and ready to go when the vehicle is used.

I have the same thoughts about city buses. Most are used predominantly during the day. They have HUGE flat roofs that can house many panels that can produce a fairly sizeable amount of juice. While they won't be able to power the bus fully, they will help keep the batteries charged and ready for the next start from a dead stop.

Which of these are short sighted and which are absolute idiocy?

Not redesigning the Taurus for a decade.

Not redesigning the Ranger for over a decade.

Not redesigning the Panthers in over a decade.

Fitting the Edge with shitty brakes.

Launching the Five Hundred with a 203 HP engine.

Refreshing the Escape with the same shitty 3.0 and 4-speed automatic.

Agree 100%. And with the Escape, Ford believes it is somehow more cost efficient to keep dozens of engine/transmissions instead of consolidating to a handfull of the good ones. Those guys at Toyota have no idea how to make money....Why the hell did the fusion powertrain not go into the friggin Escape is a complete mystery.